CARDCAPTOR SAKURA Discussion Thread

You're the Cardcaptooooor!
lilly_938
Peon
Peon

Re: CARDCAPTOR SAKURA Discussion Thread

Postby lilly_938 » Fri May 23, 2014 4:17 pm

First of all, YESSSSS!!!! I've been waiting years for this.

Why can't NISA do a new dub? Although the Animax one is ok, I'd rather get a new one. I'm sure it will more than pay for itself.

St0ck
Majin
Majin

Postby St0ck » Fri May 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Would it pay for itself? I'm curious if you have an estimate of the kindof numbers NIS America expects with this release, and the cost it would take to dub the entire 70 episode series.

lilly_938
Peon
Peon

Postby lilly_938 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:41 pm

@St0ck
Well, let's see:
Kimi ni Todoke Premium Set (12 episodes, sub-only, BD/DVD) were $5.83/episode (retail $69.99), $4.96/episode [rightstuf $59.49].
Toradora Premium Set (26 episodes, [new]dub and sub, BD/DVD) is $5.00/episode (retail $129.99), $3.69/episode [rightstuf $95.99].
Cardcaptor Sakura Premium Set (70 episodes, [animax]dub and sub, BD) is $3.57/episode (retail $249.99), $2.56/episode (rightstuf $178.99).

I know people are complaining about the price being too high, but are you kidding? We're getting a bargain! Now, I don't remember how much I paid for the Toradora Premium Sets 1 and 2 (I bought them from NISA at Anime Expo a few years back) but it couldn't have been cheaper than buying the premium set with the dub. I guess what I'm trying to say is that NISA's prices don't increase very much if they get a dub made a-la Toradora, and their premium sets almost ALWAYS sell out.

St0ck
Majin
Majin

Postby St0ck » Fri May 23, 2014 8:57 pm

No, I meant more like how many copies of Sakura do you expect NIS America to sell, and how much you though the dub would cost.

I was more curious since you commented that you thought "it would more then pay for itself", if you also had an idea of how much it would cost vs. how much it would improve sales.

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:33 pm

3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

ShaoranLi
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby ShaoranLi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:34 am

Unfortunately, NIS America Blu-Ray release of Cardcaptor Sakura does NOT contain 5.1 audio (confirmed on the packaging specs here [<-unless that's a mistake]). I find that a big disappointment, especially when you consider the original Japanese release contains both 2.0 and 5.1 LPCM audio. That was one of the things I looked forward to most on Blu-Ray, if not just the remastered visuals.

At this point, I might as well wait for the Regular Edition to release. But this would be an opportunity for them to update the Blu-Ray with 5.1 Japanese Lossless Audio (DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD) for the Regular edition.

Let NIS America know we want Cardcaptor Sakura Blu-Ray with 5.1 Japanese audio with the following links:

@NISAmerica (Twitter)
NIS America Facebook
NIS America Contact Form

Here's what I wrote for the contact form (yours can be something like this too):

Spoiler:
Hi

This regards to the Cardcaptor Sakura Complete Series Blu-Ray: Premium Edition that was very recently released.

My concern for this product regards to the lack of Japanese 5.1 Surround Sound Lossless audio, found in the original Japanese release. The remastered 5.1 Audio was one of the the many things looked forward to on Blu-Ray if not just the remastered visuals.

Please address this for the future regular edition reissue of Cardcaptor Sakura Complete Series on Blu-Ray. This is an anime that's been long awaited for North American release and it well deserves to be presented at its most optimum quality (visually and sonically), as it was intended in Japan.

Thanks

[Your name]
Last edited by ShaoranLi on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

formerroadie
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby formerroadie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 pm

lilly_938 wrote:First of all, YESSSSS!!!! I've been waiting years for this.

Why can't NISA do a new dub? Although the Animax one is ok, I'd rather get a new one. I'm sure it will more than pay for itself.

Dubs cost appx. $10,000 an episode. After mastering, packaging, and so forth, that would be a horrible idea for a small company like NISA to go tackle. At least not in this form. They would have to split it up into many, many boxes, which this NISA fan would be fine with. But, I'm not sure other fans would be as receptive.

Hopeless
Peon
Peon

Postby Hopeless » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:31 am

Hello NIS!

I've received my order of Cardcaptor Sakura Complete Series Premium Edition Bonus Set, and I am over the moon, thanks for that!

Now I have to tell you, the sleeve box and the book are lovely but the case itself that the blu-rays are kept in, it does not make me thrilled, not one bit. I know it's after the fact but I highly recommend something that will house the disc a bit more securely next time. I'm not a packaging expert so I won't tell you how to do your job but this is the one thing I have to complain about so far! I like for the discs to at least stay in their proper place!

I won't get a chance to watch these until the weekend, looking forward to a nice marathon!

All of that aside, I'm just thrilled for this release and give sincere thanks! Between this and the upcoming Sailor Moon Blu-rays, wow what a year!

Cheers

formerroadie
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby formerroadie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 am

I wish my tracking number worked for my CCS. It's killing me not knowing where it is! It hasn't come yet!!!! :(

formerroadie
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby formerroadie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:36 am

Hopeless wrote:
Now I have to tell you, the sleeve box and the book are lovely but the case itself that the blu-rays are kept in, it does not make me thrilled, not one bit. I know it's after the fact but I highly recommend something that will house the disc a bit more securely next time. I'm not a packaging expert so I won't tell you how to do your job but this is the one thing I have to complain about so far! I like for the discs to at least stay in their proper place!

When I was at AX, they asked me a lot about my opinions and about what fans want. I told them these cases will not be well received and that individual cases are batter. No stacks or hinged cases because they break and so forth. Hopefully they will remember.

Asrialys
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Asrialys » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:28 pm

formerroadie wrote:
Hopeless wrote:

When I was at AX, they asked me a lot about my opinions and about what fans want. I told them these cases will not be well received and that individual cases are batter. No stacks or hinged cases because they break and so forth. Hopefully they will remember.

Well, they probably had them all printed and didn't want to redo it, because nothing changed. I posted photos on Fandom Post after I saw the set at AX and the comments weren't all too positive. When I got my set, four of discs had fallen loose.

Apparently, some parts of the show weren't dubbed completely, so they remain subtitled when watching the dub. Well, I suppose it's considered an extra feature anyway...

Then there's some questionable translation/subtitle choices...

dklreviews
Majin
Majin

Postby dklreviews » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:57 am

Asrialys wrote:Then there's some questionable translation/subtitle choices...

I still am very puzzled by this decision, to be honest. I'm not sure what they were hoping to accomplish by not using the names the characters used, especially given that it plays into something really important later on in the series.

That aside, I really do like the actual quality of the blu-rays. They're a significant step up from the original Geneon release.

TAS
Vassal
Vassal

Postby TAS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:36 am

dklreviews wrote:
Asrialys wrote:Then there's some questionable translation/subtitle choices...

I still am very puzzled by this decision, to be honest. I'm not sure what they were hoping to accomplish by not using the names the characters used, especially given that it plays into something really important later on in the series.

I have just started the 4th disc of my BD set. This is my 32nd NISA Premium set.
I'm very happy with the Video and Audio.
The disc case could be better, but not a big deal.
But every time Sakura says Li-kun and they subtitle "Xiaolang" I cringe, I thought we were past that. Swapping in given names for any subtitled show is not a good idea, and it's very bad for a show like this where the relationships are important and change throughout the show.

I can see it for a largely episodic dubbed show on kids TV (Pokemon or Yugioh) but absolutely NOT for a subtitled collectors set like this.

Please don't ever do it again.

Edit: As I expected When Sakura switches from Li to Xiaolang they come up with something real lame to cover the fact that they have been subtitling it Xiaolang all along, spoiling a major event.
It gets even better... Episode 59 when

Sakura said "arigato Xiaolang-kun" (first time Tomoyo hears Sakura use his given name) it's subbed as "Thanks, bestie" since they need to make up some excuse for Tomoyo's reaction.
Bestie? Really?
Last edited by TAS on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arromdee
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby arromdee » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Not only that, they changed the subtitles to take out any reference to Kero's Osaka-ben. Censoring the translation this way is inexcusable, especially considering the price of the set. Really, did they think nobody would notice?

I haven't watched far enough to tell if other cultural references are censored, but this doesn't look hopeful.

What ever happened to "just translate what the characters are saying"?

Edit: I just caught another mistranslation. In episode 2, Sakura is introducing Kero-chan to Tomoyo and calls him Kero-chan. Kero says "Kaeru mitai..." (it sounds like a frog) because "Kero" is Japanese for a frog croaking. It gets subtitled as "That sounds like some cutesy little animal".

Edit 2: Also, apparently "video camera" translates as "film". What?

Sakura
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Sakura » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:14 pm

The disc layout for the DVD version was... odd. Each standard volume is three discs laid on top of each other on the tray. I really hope this won't be damaging to the discs. I think having a single flap inside the case to hold two of the discs and the third on the case itself would have been a better choice. This just seems so... cheap.

It's still a beautiful set though and one of the most expensive DVDs I've bought. Can't wait to watch it all.

Return to “CARDCAPTOR SAKURA”