Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Give your reviews on the latest games!
zatrox
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Postby zatrox » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:13 pm

I'll start it simple:
If you like Persona series, don't buy this game out of pure SMT fandom. This game touches pretty serious themes, has corpses everywhere, and probably is the only JRPG made for manly man. Pfft, Personas and jokes? This one gots Demons, guns and Sci-Fi. So if you're planning to get this because you liked Persona, please, GTFO.
Now after that warning, I'll say this is probably a true SMT game. I can say it's given me even more trouble than Nocturne. So let's start:

Graphics:
First person dungeon crawler, like Etrian Odyssey. Nothing stunning, but not bad either. You'll see some detail on backgrounds, like one dungeon themed in war, you'll see planes flying on the sky and alot of smoke.
Personally, I liked it.

Gameplay: First person turn based gameplay. There's no "press turn" or anything like that, the catch here is getting demons of your same alignment, and find the enemy's weakness to "Demon co-op" and deal extra damage. If the demons ain't from the same alignment, the demon co-op won't execute and exploiting weaknesses won't be as effective.
You'll move on a first person perspective, the interface shows everything there's to show, and on the below screen it'll auto-map the dungeon. Also you can install Main Apps and Sub Apps in your Demonica, they have different effects. The main apps work for unlocking secret doors, finding hidden enemies, finding "formas" (stuff you need to craft different items and equipment) and such, it's pretty easy to understand.
The dungeons at first are okay, nothing too complex but not too easy. The latter dungeons are another story, since you'll find enemies spamming HAMA HAMA HAMA HAMA or MUDO MUDO MUDO MUDO wich will kill your demons and make your life a hell. TBH It's pretty frustrating, also the equipment here gets a major role, since it determines your Weaknesses and Strenghts. E.G., if a boss is strong to fire, you wanna get an equipment that is strong to fire. If the enemies on the floor spam a certain attack, use an armor with a certain strenght, it'll make your life easier. Also I never found myself on the need of "grinding" to kill a boss, you just need to use certain demons. There's the typical demon fusion, etc. The conversations with demons are pretty fun, since some will be cool with you, others will think that your alignments ain't compatible, others will trick you and kill you, the normal stuff. After conversations you need to negotiate with the demons, they'll ask for money, certain items, or such. Do it right and they join you.
tl;dr: The gameplay is pretty fun, keeping differences from other games and the conversations/negotiations with demons are entertaining.

Story: The story is something else, basically you're a soilder recruited to a mission on the "Schwarzwelt" (black world in german), something that appeared on the Antartica. Your mission consists to investigate what the hell the schwarzwelt is. The story itself is pretty good, it's based on the damage the humans have done to the world itself, and focuses on stuff like war, natural resources and capitalism. Jimenez has to be the most "human" character on a JRPG yet, he's likeable and he makes mistakes. He's alone on the world, he doesn't cares, and he does alot of stuff for personal purpouse. If you play the game you'll see why he's a great character. Also the game itself is pretty mature, I'll show these on spoilers (don't worry, it's not the end of the game or anything):
Spoiler:
The demons experiment with your crewmen, as well as the crew of other ships. They made one drink acid, stripped other out of his demonica, made one bleed to death, etc. The worst thing is than the demons say they're nothing compared to humans, since we've done the worst massacres to our own race. Not only that, they actually said something like "Oh, look at what good the demons have done! We've sent your friend to a place when he doesn't has to worry about life anymore!".
The Chaos/Law alignments aren't "bad and good" but rather different ways of react and to see things. The game branches for different alignments, and I just answered like how I would normally act if I were in a situation like that. Guess what, that made me chaos. "Chaos" is nothing but the "human" way of doing stuff, while Law is the "correct" way of doing stuff.
You'll see alot of dead people in the game, different bodies of crewmen, bosses that after they say something, make you wonder if you're right or wrong, etc. The whole game itself challenges the conventional way of seeing life and what we're doing, wich is why the Storytelling is pretty shocking.

Also you got Sci-Fi, Parallel worlds, plasma shields, software that saves your life, and overall is Sci Fi done right.
I liked the story alot, I really did. The fact there's no "good" or "wrong", the well developed characters and the social comments that make you think really are something.

Music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0KZHfmA45o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N60YeAi ... re=related
Do I need to say more?

Overall: The game was addicting, deep, fun and hard. I loved it. In fact, it's my favorite DS RPG from now on. Now go buy the game, make yourself a man. It's probably the most manly, mature and epic JRPG you'll ever play.
Last edited by zatrox on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
四百二儒十燃やせ
[21:15:19] <zatrox> what the fuck is wrong with you, vampko
[21:15:23] <CirnoThe9> EVERYTHING

Ubiquitor
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Postby Ubiquitor » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Compelling argument...
Obsolete Mafia-archive
Spoiler:

"And now, the rich and beautiful Master Asagi has chosen your stupid game to be her next victim!"
-Asagi, Soul Nomad

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Finally beat the game, going with the neutral route.

It's a good game, though I didn't care much for the characters representing the Law and Chaos routes, respectively.

Also, that final boss is serious business...I rarely faced any challenges throughout the game, until that boss...

Setup for final boss spoils
Spoiler:
I had to make demons with elemental reflect abilities and just hope the boss spammed enough reflectable attacks to kill itself... :?

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:24 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “Game Reviews”