Skullgirls (PS3/X360/PS4/PC/Vita)

Give your reviews on the latest games!
GalaxiaUltima
Vassal
Vassal

Skullgirls (PS3/X360/PS4/PC/Vita)

Postby GalaxiaUltima » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:13 am

Skullgirls is one of my favourite fighting games.
It's a really fun and fast paced 2D fighting game with a colorful cast and a nice art style.

It also has one of the best (or should I say only good) tutorials in any fighting game I have seen so fighting game newbies should find it easier to jump in. The tutorials themselves also helped me in other fighting games too so that's great.

Many people complained about the fan service in this game but If I'm going to be completely honest the fan service in this game is quite minimal. There are panty shots here and there but the fighting is so fast paced that most of the time you don't even notice it. The only really fan servicey characters are Valentine and Cerebella as they expose some cleavage but the fan service is not as much as games like DOA.

The fighting in this game is fast paced and has a tag system like MVC however you can choose if you just want to play as one powerful characters , 2 strong characters or 3 powerful characters.

There are currently 13 characters for the game and 3 of them being DLC. One more called Robo Fortune is coming out however you can test her early in the steam beta that is included with the game itself.
The stages are very vibrant and vivid and the colors in the background really stand out and look great.
Another thing I love about this game is all the video game and pop culture references for instance a lot of the alternate costumes for the characters are based off other games and media for instance one of peacock's costumes is based of Super Milk Chan and one of Parasoul's costumes is based of Mitsuru from Persona 3. Some of the lines are also nods to other games and media e.g one of the level ending quotes is now you're playing with power , a reference to the old nintendo commercials. Another one is a quote by Double "A miserable pile of secrets" a reference to Castlevania

The netcode for the game is also really good and miles better than games like *cough* SFIV *cough* I played lots of games and had little to no lag at all. The only time I had lag was when I played against a friend from Thailand but other than that the games ran pretty good. I've never got disconnected unlike SFIV where I get DC'ed all the time.

My only complaints for this game are the lack of score attack or CPU versus mode. The soundtrack also isn't exactly my cup of tea. Some of the songs are pretty good but the rest are just forgetable and seem generic. The stories for the characters also seem shallow and generic however that doesn't bother as in a fighting game I play to kick some ass not for the story.

This definetley a game I'd recommend to both fighting game veterans and those new to the genre. It's a great game that's worth it's price and it isn't priced as much as other triple A titles.

The game is currently on free weekend on steam so you can try it out and if you like it you can get it at a discounted price which is a bargain but get it quick cos it ends on monday. :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention , the sound effects for the hits you make are the most satisfying hit sounds in any fighting
Last edited by GalaxiaUltima on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Byzantian-Fandango
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Skullgirls (PS3/X360/PS4/PC/Vita)

Postby Byzantian-Fandango » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:22 am

Skullgirls was actually what lead me to decide to get an X-Box 360. I do like the game, but its extremely dark characters are difficult for me to like. That said, Peacock is actually my favorite character in terms of playing with. I'm old enough to remember the cartoons she is based off of.

Cerebella is my favorite character in terms of General Appeal however. She has the least-dark backstory, and is one of the few who either isn't completely mutated, or has a male add-on. It wasn't really that great in terms of all-female playables (Arcana Heart is the champion in that field), and now doesn't even qualify with Beowolf and Big Band DLCs.

Overall, it is indeed a pretty good game.
Amethytus Library's Latest Entry: *2015/09/27 - Trouble Witches: Nest of Disruption*

GalaxiaUltima
Vassal
Vassal

Postby GalaxiaUltima » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:58 pm

Byzantian-Fandango wrote:Skullgirls was actually what lead me to decide to get an X-Box 360. I do like the game, but its extremely dark characters are difficult for me to like. That said, Peacock is actually my favorite character in terms of playing with. I'm old enough to remember the cartoons she is based off of.

Cerebella is my favorite character in terms of General Appeal however. She has the least-dark backstory, and is one of the few who either isn't completely mutated, or has a male add-on. It wasn't really that great in terms of all-female playables (Arcana Heart is the champion in that field), and now doesn't even qualify with Beowolf and Big Band DLCs.

Overall, it is indeed a pretty good game.

Peacock is one of my favourite characters too and I love her Super Milk Chan alt pallete cos I love that cartoon and I sometimes play as Beo , Filia , Cerebella or Valentine.

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “Game Reviews”