Read: Important info about voice-acting for West

FF9F00
Vassal
Vassal

Re: Read: Important info about voice-acting for West: Update

Postby FF9F00 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:53 pm

BlancnOut wrote:
GenjoSenpai wrote:i say go with JPN voices i have games on ps4 that has English text & JPN voice mainly koei games but its funny they have some of there games in dub English and non-dub fully JPN audio

They've already decided to release the game English dubbed only. It's not a matter of choice anymore in terms of what to release it with. What really matters now is how or if they're going to reinclude the JPN voices, whether it's through DLC or some other arbitrary means.
I hope they will find a way.
This is what NISA has said on the matter: "selling the Japanese audio track as DLC is not an option for us"
But since they were wrong about the Filesize of the game, I still have a small hope NISA was wrong about the above statement as well.

It's never too late turn around and improve yourself. Please do if you can NISA.
Last edited by FF9F00 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Re: Read: Important info about voice-acting for Western vers

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:55 pm

FF9F00 wrote:
The_Dood_Abides wrote:So, I'm actually the script editor for Operation Abyss and hopefully I can clear up some misconceptions about the reasons why this title lack dual audio.

The one thing that keeps going unmentioned in this discussion is that Operation Abyss is actually two full length games from the Generation Xth series crammed into one Vita cartridge, which takes up a lot of space. Unlike the Vita release of Danganronpa 1 and 2, the option of separating the games into two cartridges to release them them separately was not made available to us. For this reason, there was only enough space on the cartridge to accommodate one voice track.

According to Japanese PSN the game is barely 1,2 GB

The standard Vita cartridge can accommodate for up to 4 GB. Games like the Atelier series that take up 3GB with dual audio are very typical.

So Operation Abyss will take 1,2 GB out of 4 GB. But somehow there isn't enough space for Japanese audio?

Is this dishonesty from NISA? Are we being deceived and manipulated?

No, you're not being deceived and manipulated. Chalk this up to a misunderstanding on my part.

When I asked around internally, I was told that accommodating two language tracks was not possible due to cartridge limitations. In my mind, I interpreted that to mean cartridge volume before relaying my findings to you guys. As evidenced by your post, the limitations have nothing to do with the volume of space on the cartridge, and now I have egg on my face for not being more thorough in obtaining this information. My apologies. It was not my intention to come across as duplicitous. The lesson here is, if you think you understand what someone's talking about, double-check just to be extra sure because there's always a chance that you're actually wrong.

Now that I think about it, the cartridge limitations may have something to do with how the game itself was originally programmed. But I'm not a programmer so I honestly can't provide anything more than speculation on the nature of those limitations. Plus, I have a distaste for being publicly wrong twice. However, even if those limitations were not in place, we still would not be able to provide the JP audio as dual audio or as future DLC for the aforementioned reasons that I cannot disclose without violating NDA.

Hope that clears things up further. I'm sorry I can't provide more information than that, and once again, I'm sorry for telling you inaccurate information the first time.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

FF9F00
Vassal
Vassal

Postby FF9F00 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:04 pm

@The_Dood_Abides
Alright. Honest mistake accepted.

But I really hope you guys can work out some solutions that hadn't been thought up before. Just about anything.

Maybe a Global Edition for the Japanese market like Demon Gaze had... anything.

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:10 pm

@TDA
There's no way for a patch to potentially re add the voices?
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Technical problems making it highly infeasible apparently.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:19 pm

Ringwraith wrote:Technical problems making it highly infeasible apparently.

Sheesh, well maybe they'll surprise us somehow. Personally I don't care about the whole missing JPN voices, but I know people would love to have it regardless. Granted I don't understand the reasoning if the game in of itself is fun. Though I suppose that's why it's a subjective issue.
wrote: What? Someone gave you constructive criticism on your half assed work? HOW DARE THEY!

Taedirk
New Vassal
New Vassal

Re: Read: Important info about voice-acting for Western vers

Postby Taedirk » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:50 pm

The_Dood_Abides wrote:However, even if those limitations were not in place, we still would not be able to provide the JP audio as dual audio or as future DLC for the aforementioned reasons that I cannot disclose without violating NDA.

Hope that clears things up further. I'm sorry I can't provide more information than that, and once again, I'm sorry for telling you inaccurate information the first time.

The fact that knowledge is hidden behind NDA is frustrating. It's a lot easier to swallow that the licenses were too expensive or that someone refused to release rights to outside releases than just being told "no Japanese, can't tell you why." When it comes back to your customer base getting irritated at having features removed that they've come to expect, it helps to be able to have a reasonable explanation.

Thanks for doubling back in and letting us know what you learned.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:02 pm

Welcome to business, where NDAs suck.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:34 pm

NDA are good for protecting various companies inner dealings and such. I do appreciate as much transparency as the next person, but there are times when the public can be quite damning, especially with the internet being so inherently viral in nature, when they obtain an important piece of business info.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Well, definitely, but they seem to be spread around a bit too liberally sometimes.

Nytezero
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Nytezero » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:22 am

Just saiyan :)

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:27 am

Nytezero wrote:Just saiyan :)

I don't know what you're talking about because people can still hack the vita. Anyway, I wouldn't endorse piracy on this forum. It's not really something that the mods tolerate.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:05 pm

Please don't talk about hacking/modding/piracy on the NISA forums, especially when in-regards to NISA products.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:33 am

BlancnOut wrote:I don't know what you're talking about because people can still hack the vita.

Best I've heard still, they've only been able to crack the PSP emulator. Vita itself remains untouched. Thankfully.

lopez wrote:Please don't talk about hacking/modding/piracy on the NISA forums, especially when in-regards to NISA products.

Piracy I'll grant. The others aren't against any rules that I'm aware of, unless you'd like to direct me to discussion otherwise.

It is, in fact, perfectly legal to modify devices, by the decision of a court of law. Unless NISA's forum has rules that explicitly state otherwise, there's no reason it can't be talked about, and we've traditionally never discouraged posts about fan translation patches or homebrew.

I seem to have missed what we're actually talking about, but that's a pretty broad and dangerous blanket statement to make.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

BlancnOut
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby BlancnOut » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:18 am

Daverost wrote:I seem to have missed what we're actually talking about, but that's a pretty broad and dangerous blanket statement to make.

Basically people aren't happy that the game it's only releasing with English dub and are requesting some way to reinclude the Japanese voice track. DLC is apparently not an option, patching is unfeasible, and since you've just said that no one has cracked vita modifying yet, there's no way to mod it in either.

Return to “Operation Abyss”