Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita) 2015

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby ZekeFreek » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:06 pm

extreme zero sense to me


Considering nothing you say makes any sense to anyone else, I'd say we're even.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

User avatar
Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:33 pm

GoldStarz wrote:Really? I thought it was just that 'Absolute' didn't fit in the logo. That reason is kinda disappointing.


As I said, that's part of the reason. As I've had to explain many times with Criminal Girls, we don't make changes on a whim. There are multiple reasons behind every localization decision.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe
Image

DespairMasterSR
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:09 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby DespairMasterSR » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:03 pm

ZekeFreek wrote:
extreme zero sense to me


Considering nothing you say makes any sense to anyone else, I'd say we're even.

I resent that!

User avatar
Mirai
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby Mirai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:32 am

Prinny Supervisor wrote:"Absolute" sounds mechanical, academic: "absolute zero", "absolute value"

"Ultra" sounds intense, colourful, over-the-top, fun, energetic: "ultraviolet", "ultra kill"

That's part of the reason, anyway.


No offensive but if this was your reasons then I believe the word "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" would of been more appropriate for the game's title. :P

On a more serious note, considering this is arguably the darkest and edgiest game in the series so far, I don't think the appeal of making it more "colourful or over-the-top etc" with the title is the best method here. As I said, this is an outright gloomy game, there's nothing colourful or happy-clappy about it. (Sure it has its light-hearted moments but overall the game is pretty dark.) With the word "Absolute" it sounds more fearsome and thrilling and adds more emphasis on despair, which is the prime theme of this game. Just after playing the prologue it really does seem like Komaru is in an utterly hopeless situation, with nothing but "Absolute" despair surrounding her.

I can still understand your decision, as most likely you believe the word "Ultra" will be more appealing to the western public, so essentially you've done it for marketing purposes. However to me "Absolute" is a more fitting word for the game's theme (Despair) then "Ultra" is and personally I would say this reason should take precedence.
"We've both been rejected by this world, we both feel the same threat. Yet here we are destined to kill each other in the end."

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby vampko » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Mirai wrote:
Prinny Supervisor wrote:"Absolute" sounds mechanical, academic: "absolute zero", "absolute value"

"Ultra" sounds intense, colourful, over-the-top, fun, energetic: "ultraviolet", "ultra kill"

That's part of the reason, anyway.


No offensive but if this was your reasons then I believe the word "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" would of been more appropriate for the game's title. :P

On a more serious note, considering this is arguably the darkest and edgiest game in the series so far, I don't think the appeal of making it more "colourful or over-the-top etc" with the title is the best method here. As I said, this is an outright gloomy game, there's nothing colourful or happy-clappy about it. (Sure it has its light-hearted moments but overall the game is pretty dark.) With the word "Absolute" it sounds more fearsome and thrilling and adds more emphasis on despair, which is the prime theme of this game. Just after playing the prologue it really does seem like Komaru is in an utterly hopeless situation, with nothing but "Absolute" despair surrounding her.

I can still understand your decision, as most likely you believe the word "Ultra" will be more appealing to the western public, so essentially you've done it for marketing purposes. However to me "Absolute" is a more fitting word for the game's theme (Despair) then "Ultra" is and personally I would say this reason should take precedence.

The point is that the original title in Japanese kinda had a magical girl theme going with it, so they were going for a more magical girl theme. Which, I'd have to agree that "ultra' does that better than "Absolute". Sometimes context requires you to think outside the box when translating. While I don't agree with a lot of the name changes that NISA carries out, this I can stand behind. I would actually say this was more of a translation choice anyway, than a "name change". I mean, the original title never got an "English" name anyway. It was only decided that by fans as far as I could tell.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby redsilversnake » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:28 pm

vampko wrote:I would actually say this was more of a translation choice anyway, than a "name change".

No, it's definitely a name change. 絶対 means fixed, unavoidable, and the like, none of which fall under "ultra." I'm not sure how much weight the argument behind the magical girl motif holds, but at least just in terms of translation, it is, without a doubt, a change.
Some people just need to learn that their opinions are wrong

User avatar
Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:41 pm

Mirai wrote: As I said, this is an outright gloomy game, there's nothing colourful or happy-clappy about it. (Sure it has its light-hearted moments but overall the game is pretty dark.) With the word "Absolute" it sounds more fearsome and thrilling and adds more emphasis on despair, which is the prime theme of this game. Just after playing the prologue it really does seem like Komaru is in an utterly hopeless situation, with nothing but "Absolute" despair surrounding her.


There are a lot of goofy, lighthearted elements in this game too, however. I mean...you're using a megaphone gun to shoot multi-colored radiowaves at mechanical death bears to make them dance. And all of Genocide's ultra moves are hilarious, over-the-top parodies. "Ultra" fits. I understand the argument for "absolute" because of how intense and overwhelming the despair is, but in that case, the word "absolute" does not really encompass that very well. You don't really see "absolute" used in that context much (probably because there are much more fitting adjectives out there).

This game (in the same vein as the others in the series, really) works on a pretty wide spectrum of tone. Part of the game's quirkyness comes from the dark humor elements, the funny stuff thrown in while the situation is dire. During the prologue, yes, Komaru is in a tough situation, and then despair is real, but...over the course of the game, a lot of things happen. It's a journey. "Ultra Despair Girls" is...pretty fitting.

But that's all I'll say about it, I don't want to have that one little word become the entire thread conversation.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe
Image

User avatar
Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis
Posts: 2017
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:54 am

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby Alice Twilight » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:
There are a lot of goofy, lighthearted elements in this game too, however. I mean...you're using a megaphone gun to shoot multi-colored radiowaves at mechanical death bears to make them dance. And all of Genocide's ultra moves are hilarious, over-the-top parodies. "Ultra" fits. I understand the argument for "absolute" because of how intense and overwhelming the despair is, but in that case, the word "absolute" does not really encompass that very well. You don't really see "absolute" used in that context much (probably because there are much more fitting adjectives out there).


Was that the developers intentions though?
Just sounds like typical Nisa changing things just because they don't like them. Like those dumb Fairy Fencer F "I don't like the way they sound" name changes.

Then again Dangan Ronpa was never the same after the first game and after that it's just been whacky randomness putting more emphasis on humor and from what I've played of Another Episode the game looks as if it's just trying to top Dangan Ronpa 2's humor. So maybe Ultra is more fitting and Nisa did a good change for once.

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 am

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby Houk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:29 am

You know, when I was in the localization driver's seat, and folks (here and elsewhere) would let us know how much they didn't like our "changes" or translation choices, sometimes I wondered if maybe they were right, and I was just so biased that I couldn't see it.

But now that I'm completely free and unbiased, and "Ultra" is still clearly a better choice than "Absolute" both in terms of sound/flow in the title and the feel/tone of the game content, I can rest easy knowing that we were making the right choices all along 8-)

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby ZekeFreek » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:22 am

unbiased


I'm not sure you count as being completely unbiased just because you left a company you worked at for... what like seven years combined?

Kind of like saying you're unbiased towards your family just because you don't live with them anymore.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

User avatar
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10399
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:59 am

...but not biased in the sense of being involved in the decision.
Image
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

User avatar
redsilversnake
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby redsilversnake » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:23 am

Ringwraith wrote:...but not biased in the sense of being involved in the decision.

Not being directly involved doesn't mean he lacks any bias. The main reasons a former employee would continue posting on the forums for a company would be attachment to or a grudge against that company, both of which can carry inherent bias, and it doesn't exactly seem to be the latter in Houk's case.
Some people just need to learn that their opinions are wrong

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby ZekeFreek » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:58 am

He keeps posting because he misses me, duh.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

User avatar
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 10399
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:00 am

That's not the point, but I'm not going to argue any more on an issue of "the bias" because that's a pointless circular discussion due to lack of understanding.
Image
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

User avatar
ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 8445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: OBEYING GOOGLE, OVERLORD OF HUMANITY
Contact:

Re: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)

Postby ZekeFreek » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 am

Ringwraith wrote:You disagree with my stance. Therefore you are too stupid to see my glorious wisdom. I shall leave you peasants to your mud huts.


Fixed.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Image
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Image
Image
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd


Return to “Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest