Page 1 of 2

*SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:28 am
by Mirai
This is the place where you can discuss freely all the events that occur within the prologue and Chapter 1 of Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode.

Just remember the following:

-Do not discuss story events that occur AFTER Chapter 1. Not even in Spoiler tags.

-This thread will contain SPOILERS. If you have yet to complete chapter 1 of Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode, it is recommended that you STAY AWAY from this thread until you have completed this chapter.

And with that covered have fun discussing your adventure in Towa City!

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:02 pm
by Zetsubear
Had a feeling you were going to make this xD

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:23 pm
by Mirai
Zetsubear wrote:Had a feeling you were going to make this xD


Its become a tradition now for me, whenever a new DR game comes over. ;) Honestly this isn't needed as much, as with the previous games, plus I doubt we'll be getting as many comments, as the DR hype has died down compared to last year.

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:04 am
by burai97
Just beat daimon. So far I'm loving the game. The frame rate seems more stable than I remember it being. There's also no quality issues with the cutscenes like there were in DR2. I also think they made a bit less localization changes in comparison. One odd thing I noticed is when you use the dub, during the intro scenes for the different monokumas, the monokumas switch to the Japanese voice track.

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:47 am
by Prinny Supervisor
burai97 wrote:One odd thing I noticed is when you use the dub, during the intro scenes for the different monokumas, the monokumas switch to the Japanese voice track.


That's intentional. We ended up using audio from both the Japanese and English voices of Monokuma for all the Monokuma lines.

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:36 pm
by SilentlyVocal
The inconsistency in the Monokuma lines kinda bugs me a little bit with the voice track, but it's not a huge detriment either.
So far I'm really enjoying the game, though I feel as if it could drag out a bit if it's too too long.
Also, Junk Monokuma is the most horrifying thing I've ever seen. Kill it with fire.

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:05 am
by KaminaGirl
Oh dear gosh... I didn't expect that death coming. Like, I should know this would happen sooner or later in a Dangan Ronpa game but DANG, that was fast. I feel so bad for Aoi Asahina.

Yuta..... you will be remembered forever in our hearts. Keep catching up to your sister.

Image

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:14 pm
by burai97
KaminaGirl wrote:Oh dear gosh... I didn't expect that death coming. Like, I should know this would happen sooner or later in a Dangan Ronpa game but DANG, that was fast. I feel so bad for Aoi Asahina.

Yuta..... you will be remembered forever in our hearts. Keep catching up to your sister.

Image

Yeah, i remember when the game first came out in japan and my friend imported it, we timed how long yuta was alive and it was right around 10:30.

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:32 am
by Mirai
Just finished the prologue so can't say much about the gameplay atm, but I will say with the Japanese audio on, the NISA localisation is fairly accurate from what was said in the original. There were obviously changes but a lot of them were minor and meant the same thing in context with the original anyway so it doesn't matter much. There were several however that did stand out for me and from what I remember.

1. Changing what Jataro originally said "Ah! I wonder if its true that bugs come from space?" to NISA's version "I wonder if aliens exist."
2. Changing what Kotaro originally said " Golden week is also too long." to NISA's version "Spring break is too long". (I find this one understandable enough as not a lot of people outside of Japan would know what Golden week is.)
3. Adding "Meow!" in Monaka's introduction line.... :shock: I don't remember Monoka ever saying "Nyaa" (Japanese equivalent to Meow) in the original.
4. Changing what Jataro originally said "Why do grown-ups die so quickly? to NISA's version " Why must fireflies die so young...?"

I'll leave it with just those 4 examples.

Finally I unfortunately found an error in NISA's version as well: "And hey did you know!? Kangaroos can jump backwards!" In the original Kotoko said "Speaking of surprising things, did you know!? Kangaroos CAN'T jump backwards." Let alone translation change this is an outright error. Followed by another line later... "And And! And believe it or not, snakes have ears! Ewww!" In original she said: "Also also! another surprising thing is that snakes don't have ears-". Not just one but two errors consecutively... I'm hoping these are the only ones I come across.

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:15 am
by burai97
Mirai wrote:Just finished the prologue so can't say much about the gameplay atm, but I will say with the Japanese audio on, the NISA localisation is fairly accurate from what was said in the original. There were obviously changes but a lot of them were minor and meant the same thing in context with the original anyway so it doesn't matter much. There were several however that did stand out for me and from what I remember.

1. Changing what Jataro originally said "Ah! I wonder if its true that bugs come from space?" to NISA's version "I wonder if aliens exist."
2. Changing what Kotaro originally said " Golden week is also too long." to NISA's version "Spring break is too long". (I find this one understandable enough as not a lot of people outside of Japan would know what Golden week is.)
3. Adding "Meow!" in Monaka's introduction line.... :shock: I don't remember Monoka ever saying "Nyaa" (Japanese equivalent to Meow) in the original.
4. Changing what Jataro originally said "Why do grown-ups die so quickly? to NISA's version " Why must fireflies die so young...?"

I'll leave it with just those 4 examples.

Finally I unfortunately found an error in NISA's version as well: "And hey did you know!? Kangaroos can jump backwards!" In the original Kotoko said "Speaking of surprising things, did you know!? Kangaroos CAN'T jump backwards." Let alone translation change this is an outright error. Followed by another line later... "And And! And believe it or not, snakes have ears! Ewww!" In original she said: "Also also! another surprising thing is that snakes don't have ears-". Not just one but two errors consecutively... I'm hoping these are the only ones I come across.

I did my first playthrough with the dub but I'm doing a second one subbed so I'm not certain but i think stuff like your last issue comes up a few more times later.

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:42 pm
by Beedlebud
This game is so dark, and I even know what's coming lol.

Daimon harming himself made me ill to watch.

Also RIP Yuta :( 7

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:53 am
by KaminaGirl
Beedlebud wrote:This game is so dark, and I even know what's coming lol.

Daimon harming himself made me ill to watch.

Also RIP Yuta :( 7


Yeah, that scene left such an impact on me. Even though Komaru was yelling at him to stop, he just kept on going. It made me feel so bad for Daimon
Image

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:30 am
by Zetsubear
KaminaGirl wrote:
Beedlebud wrote:This game is so dark, and I even know what's coming lol.

Daimon harming himself made me ill to watch.

Also RIP Yuta :( 7


Yeah, that scene left such an impact on me. Even though Komaru was yelling at him to stop, he just kept on going. It made me feel so bad for jatarou
Image

I think you mean Daimon xP

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:39 am
by KaminaGirl
Zetsubear wrote:
KaminaGirl wrote:
Beedlebud wrote:This game is so dark, and I even know what's coming lol.

Daimon harming himself made me ill to watch.

Also RIP Yuta :( 7


Yeah, that scene left such an impact on me. Even though Komaru was yelling at him to stop, he just kept on going. It made me feel so bad for jatarou
Image

I think you mean Daimon xP

Didn't realize it, honest mistake, I'll change it

Re: *SPOILERS* DR: Another Episode Chapter 1 Discussion

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:05 pm
by Prinny Supervisor
Mirai wrote:1. Changing what Jataro originally said "Ah! I wonder if its true that bugs come from space?" to NISA's version "I wonder if aliens exist."
2. Changing what Kotaro originally said " Golden week is also too long." to NISA's version "Spring break is too long". (I find this one understandable enough as not a lot of people outside of Japan would know what Golden week is.)
3. Adding "Meow!" in Monaka's introduction line.... :shock: I don't remember Monoka ever saying "Nyaa" (Japanese equivalent to Meow) in the original.
4. Changing what Jataro originally said "Why do grown-ups die so quickly? to NISA's version " Why must fireflies die so young...?"


As the editor, I can address some (some are translation questions) of these points!

1. Text limits. A lot of changes are the result of text boxes being way too small to fit a more literal Japanese translation in English.
2. Yeah, you got it. Very few people outside Japan know what Golden Week is, so it was changed to a week-long American "holiday" for context.
3. Monaca does say "nyaa" a few times in her dialogue.
4. The line in Japanese is a Grave of the Fireflies reference. The line was changed to a more iconic line from the English release of GotF so the reference would be more obvious.