A round of applause should go out to NISA

Official Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Discussion Forum
ninina
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Re: A round of applause should go out to NISA

Postby ninina » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Sometimes I wonder if having a deep complex plot is necessarily always a good thing. Not every book needs to be a work of literature. Sometimes you just want to read something light and cliche. I'm actually glad that NISA takes the time and risk in translating these works which are quite good as entertainment, but maybe not so much as an example of complex story telling. Sometimes I worry that in the rush for video games to grow up and be mature that we will forget to keep making games that are innocent and maybe a little childish. That's just my two cents though.

RedCoKid
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby RedCoKid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:00 am

magusgs wrote:In any case, you shouldn't confuse my comments with goldenwitch's. We may hold similar views, but we're making different arguments, potentially for different reasons.

Maybe you shouldn't confuse Sakura Taisen for a different RPG. I was going to let this go. Way to keep on editing your post!

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 am

I'll edit it back out, if it makes you happy. They say good writing requires continuous revision.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Drache
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Drache » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:03 pm

RedCoKid wrote:Personally I've not played a better visual novel than ST3, and only Valkyria Chronicles ranks better than STV as a SRPG in my collection.

VC was pretty fun, but I don't think it reached its potential (then again, I say that about every game I ever played). ST3-ST5 have a similar system, and they're too easy to be considered amazing in my book (not that most of VC was hard, lawl).

I guess what I want is to be forced to think about where I go and what I do, and VC does that much better. Especially when Selvaria comes to get you and runs across 60% of the field in one go. DAMN.

I also appreciate the ST3 love in this post. Definitely one of my favorites in the series. Only character I didn't care for was Hanabi. That's more than I can say of any of the other games in the series. :3

WanderingMind
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby WanderingMind » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:49 am

Thank you NISA for bringing this game over here. I played this game with my roommate back in September and we really enjoyed it. I'm sad it didn't sell as well over here as it should have, but I'm glad I bought it. I'm going to play it again sometime at the beginning of next year. :D
Lovebar by Rarutos

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:49 am

I heard this was their biggest project yet, so I congratulate them on this. Thank you also for the PS2 premium edition!

It's too bad it didn't do so well sales-wise. :(

Rarutos
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Rarutos » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:37 pm

If I were rich, I'd buy as many copies as I could just to boost the sales of this game to warrant more here. :<

Heck, if I were rich, I'd pay money for them to localize Atsuki Chishio ni, and the Sakura Taisen 3 PS2 port!
Lovebar made by Me, avatar made by Allegretto. Thank you!

RedCoKid
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby RedCoKid » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:12 pm

Rarutos wrote:Heck, if I were rich, I'd pay money for them to localize Atsuki Chishio ni, and the Sakura Taisen 3 PS2 port!

I frequently daydream about winning the PowerBall for this.

SinZinDetta
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby SinZinDetta » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:04 pm

I was a little late to the party on this game but now that I played it I regret not buying it as soon as it came out. Count me in on buying first day all future PS2/PS3/360 releases for the Sakura series on those systems.

360 would be my system of choice however.

androvsky
Majin
Majin

Postby androvsky » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:58 am

SinZinDetta wrote:I was a little late to the party on this game but now that I played it I regret not buying it as soon as it came out. Count me in on buying first day all future PS2/PS3/360 releases for the Sakura series on those systems.

360 would be my system of choice however.

A lot of people missed it initially, NISA's stated that the title didn't sell as well as they expected. It was also their most expensive localization project, so don't get your hopes up too much. I did ask NISA's PR person on the Playstation blog yesterday about Sakura Wars:

Greetings androvsky,
For the moment, we don’t have any new news for the Sakura Wars series. We definitely are looking at Sakura Wars on PS2 as a success as a lot of people really enjoyed the game. I’d love to see it move up on to the PS3, but at the moment I honestly don’t have any news to confirm or deny.

Huh. Usually NISA's pretty good about telling people they have no plans for something, so I suppose it's possible they're trying to get a PS3 port made. Unfortunately, that could be a mess; between Sega West's Dreamcast HD project, Sony's PS2 to PS3 port project that Sega Japan might be interested in, and Red being the ones that are pushing to get it localized, working out who gets to do an HD version of which titles under whose remake flag could get complicated.
Last edited by androvsky on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SinZinDetta
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby SinZinDetta » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:58 pm

A lot of people missed it initially, NISA's stated that the title didn't sell as well as they expected. It was also their most expensive localization project, so don't get your hopes up too much. I did ask NISA's PR person on the Playstation blog yesterday about Sakura Wars:

[quote=Ryan Phillips]Greetings androvsky,
For the moment, we don’t have any new news for the Sakura Wars series. We definitely are looking at Sakura Wars on PS2 as a success as a lot of people really enjoyed the game. I’d love to see it move up on to the PS3, but at the moment I honestly don’t have any news to confirm or deny.

Huh. Usually NISA's pretty good about telling people they have no plans for something, so I suppose it's possible they're trying to get a PS3 port made. Unfortunately, that could be a mess; between Sega West's Dreamcast HD project, Sony's PS2 to PS3 port project that Sega Japan might be interested in, and Red being the ones that are pushing to get it localized, working out who gets to do an HD version of which titles under whose remake flag could get complicated.

Yeah, I missed out because I really stopped buying PS2 games after Persona 4 in Dec of 2008. I mean I moved on to the next generation and had I not been stuck out of games to play and really desprate for RPG games I would not gave it a chance still. However I was locked in on this game and honestly this type of game reminded me why RPG games are my favorite genre. It really disappoints me the system it came out on even though they had no choice and the poor sales reflected the move to the next gen and the fact no one buys Wii games outside Mario and Wii gimmick games.

I pass on the message to try this game but really all my people are like me and this is a well hidden gem. All I can do is buy my 1 copy, basically what I been doing on a lot of MIA games...

androvsky
Majin
Majin

Postby androvsky » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm sure the PS2/Wii release sounded like a good idea back in 2007 when the whole project apparently started, but by the time they were able to release it, well, it didn't turn out so hot.

But buying a copy is about all we can do. The PS2 version got a pretty decent metacritic score, so there might be some interest in trying again on a healthier platform, but I guess we'll see.

Strifey
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Strifey » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:14 am

I bought this on PS2 when it first came out last year, but always either didn't have time or didn't feel like playing it, until this week. Now I'm kicking myself for not playing it sooner. It's such a fun game!

I'd originally planned on just going through and getting one ending so I could get to work my huge stack of other unplayed games, but I'm enjoying it so much that I may have to go for multiple endings.

SegaValkyrian
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby SegaValkyrian » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:27 pm

I bought the game new but it was a year late.I regret not getting it day one because I realized Sakura Wars V is easily one of my favorite games of all time.

omenaa
Peon
Peon

Postby omenaa » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:03 am

I really hope that SW5 would come to PSN. I was disappointed that the PS2 version wasn't released here in europe (+ the JP/US version doesn't work with swap magic).

Return to “Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love”