Graphics of Disgaea 5

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!

Would you like Disgaea 5 with Odin Sphere/Dragon Crowns graphic in HD?

Yes.
24%
No.
76%

Total votes: 17

Chamaeleonx
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Graphics of Disgaea 5

Postby Chamaeleonx » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:50 pm

How would you like the graphics of Disgaea 5? I havent been announced so far but it will come for sure.
I thought about gathering all the good ideas the community has and try to forward them to some higher ups so they notice them and maybe use them as they come from the community.
Basicly, what graphics would you want to see on the PS4 with her better hardware?
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Warrior: Time to bust some Balls! :>

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Write me a PM if you have questions, im online daily.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Magic User Guide for easy LoC Stat Farming: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=13494

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Graphics of Disgaea 5

Postby vampko » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:54 pm

No No No No No

I want 3D or bust

Not some 2.5D

But I'm like the smallest minority out there on this.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:03 pm

My view on better hardware regarding graphics:
STOP SPENDING ALL YOUR MONEY ON GRAPHICS.

I never take it as a good sign as development costs cannot sustainably get more expensive, unless there is a shift and people stop thinking more expensive graphics are better. It is art direction which counts.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Ringwraith wrote:My view on better hardware regarding graphics:
STOP SPENDING ALL YOUR MONEY ON GRAPHICS.

I never take it as a good sign as development costs cannot sustainably get more expensive, unless there is a shift and people stop thinking more expensive graphics are better. It is art direction which counts.

3D is an art direction of its own.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Well, all sorts of styles, like 2.5D, can work, just has to be used properly.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Ringwraith wrote:Well, all sorts of styles, like 2.5D, can work, just has to be used properly.

I really don't like 2.5D

I prefer 3D, but that requires graphics to realize the art style. I am not okay with just 2D graphics. And 2.5D is pushing it.

Though, it's obviously gonna stick to 2D sprites. And, they look fine, just if I had the choice, they'd be 3D.
Spoiler:

Chamaeleonx
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Chamaeleonx » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:15 pm

I thought about a lot of graphic styles and there are a lot that would suit Disgaea. The Atelier series style looks good too.

What i would love is 3D "Sprites", still drawn but they are 3D and look like the Sprites with more detail. Thats why i love Atelier style too.

A must have is new background design as the attacks are awesome in mechanics, but they definitly need a graphic upgrade :/. At least that those "stairs" vanish and it looks smooth. Disgaea 4 was 1080p but you could still see them clearly.

I dont want all money to spend on graphics, but i think they should keep the core the same and upgrade everything else. For example, keep itemworld, charaworld, Assembly/Councel or whatever it is called in the specific title. But they could make it bigger.
For example, Throwing is great, but you could make a weight option so that not everbody can lift everybody. This would result in more tatical play as you have to choose who stands where and when, who can take a beaten to throw that important character to the treasure.
Story decisions would be great too, you have different branches and each results in a different story even if the ending might be the same or could differ. That would open up for more story content, which results in more players being interessted as the "normal" player wont grind for months like fans (me for example) do.
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Magic User Guide for easy LoC Stat Farming: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=13494

Chamaeleonx
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Chamaeleonx » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:24 pm

A weight or lift strengh system would make other classes more important, i never use a Knight as they are mostly useless and you run around them as tanking is not needed or i just throw them away xD.
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Weirdgamer
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Weirdgamer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:37 am

I personally prefer 2D. It's part of why I love the old Atelier/Mana Khemia games. Once they went 3D it seems the games went to shit since they seemed to focus more on making the games look pretty and less focus on the actual gameplay. I don't really want to see that happen to Disgaea.
[url="http://psnprofiles.com/Confused_Look"]Image[/url]

Chamaeleonx
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Chamaeleonx » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Of course only if they keep the gameplay quality of the Disgaea titles. Its not that i want improved graphics no matter what xD.
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

brocksler
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby brocksler » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:30 am

I want them to improve the battle animations. I was really let down by Disgaea 4's battle animation it looked really bad. plus the attacks were lame. I enjoyed the previous games, but it was torture playing through the fights in the most recent ps3 version. I enjoyed Disgaea 3 battle animations though.
3D sprites? sounds interesting, I'm just afraid they will get sucked into spending all their money on some online mode.

"Taking chances are what evolve gaming, so I say go for it!"

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:23 am

I say just improve Disgaea 4's style. This is not a series that requires 3D by any means and I think that would only hinder it if anything.

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby nroejb » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Seventh wrote:I say just improve Disgaea 4's style. This is not a series that requires 3D by any means and I think that would only hinder it if anything.

I think both titular games are 2D, though I don't really like the graphics of Dragons Crown.

Anyway Wanna play La Pucelle Ragnarok now (Odin Sphere -> Vanillaware -> Princess Crown -> Eclair, thats how I'm hardwired)

Discoceris
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Discoceris » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Seventh wrote:I say just improve Disgaea 4's style. This is not a series that requires 3D by any means and I think that would only hinder it if anything.

No, it wouldn't, as it would improve on the camera angles (and would get rid of the annoying issues with all that entails) It's about high time they actually made some effort to incorporate 3D into the games. They're making bank off of these titles where they spend the budget of a tiny indie development cell and charge the same price as any blockbuster title out there (in Japan, it's worst, as the prices there are close to $100 for a regular version and LE/CE running to $200)

Graphics may not be everything, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend $60 to play a PSX-level game in 2013. I'm sure most of you wouldn't, either. It puzzles me as to why these titles even bother being put into BRD as I'm sure the whole of the content could fit into a CD...

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Discoceris wrote:

No, it wouldn't, as it would improve on the camera angles (and would get rid of the annoying issues with all that entails) It's about high time they actually made some effort to incorporate 3D into the games. They're making bank off of these titles where they spend the budget of a tiny indie development cell and charge the same price as any blockbuster title out there (in Japan, it's worst, as the prices there are close to $100 for a regular version and LE/CE running to $200)

Graphics may not be everything, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend $60 to play a PSX-level game in 2013. I'm sure most of you wouldn't, either. It puzzles me as to why these titles even bother being put into BRD as I'm sure the whole of the content could fit into a CD...

Well, no one's making you spend anything, actually.

And if you seriously think that Disgaea 4 or D2 were PSX level with all those HD sprites and whatnot, then that's your issue man. I spent $60 on 4 and didn't regret it at all, at least not as far as the graphics go, and didn't for a minute think "man, this totally isn't a PS3 game!" - and the only reason I'm likely not spending $60 on D2 is because I'm still undecided on waiting on the Vita version for all the DLC. Either way, graphics aren't that big an issue to me, and I think you're exaggerating them too.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the graphics shouldn't improve, but rather, I think if they just keep on the same track they're going, improving some each game, they'll be fine. Something as drastic as turning the series into 3D is completely unnecessary for a largely 2D series, and I think it would just take away from the charm that makes Disgaea Disgaea.

Return to “Disgaea Series”