How come nothing is destroyed?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
Friendlysociopath
Peon
Peon

How come nothing is destroyed?

Postby Friendlysociopath » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi, new member, mostly because I have a simple question that has plagued me since I started playing Disgaea years ago and I'd like to ask other fans. Nobody else in my village plays the games so I wanted to ask people who knew what I was talking about.

"If demons in Disgaea can destroy planets and stars with such little effort, how come the planets are never destroyed during battle?"

I understand that would be silly from a gameplay perspective, but I don't see why they would emphasize how easily demons can planet-bust and star-bust and then barely ever have it happen during the games. I know it does happen a few times but it's rare and usually off-screen.
(Laharl saying he blew up stars, Overlord Babylon destroying planets on his way to see Zetta for example)

Is there an answer? Or is it just the Nipponverse just being illogical like it always is?

I happen to have a theory I wanted to run by Disgaea fans in this regard.

The Theory- "Overlord Rules"
To start us off on this attempt to plant some logic into insanity, we'll begin with the heart of the idea. "What is an Overlord?"

Put simply, the Overlord is the ruler of a specific Netherworld. As Laharl and Mao prove very thoroughly, the title is not one passed down by heredity. He/she/it attains this position by being the best and strongest demon they can be, usually proven by defeating anyone else going for the same job. Their position is also far from secure as they can be challenged by anyone at anytime for the title.

So, what do Overlords do? Well there's the short answer and the long answer. The short answer is, "whatever the hell they want to". Demons aren't the biggest rule-lovers in the universe, they frankly do as they please under most circumstances. The long answer is more intriguing and the heart of my theory, "The Overlords control their Netherworld".

In Makai Kingdom and Disgaea 2, we see Overlords respectively creating and changing their Netherworlds. Starting with Disgaea 2, we see the Fake Overlord Zenon take over another world and shape it to his liking, changing the humans into Demons. Note that he was already Overlord level before the game begins, even though the True Zenon found him unworthy to kill. We also see Etna show up to have some fun, though she's only a Demon Lord. Despite the massive influx of Overlords rushing to the Netherworld to take Zenon- Veldime isn't destroyed. The world is perfectly fine, the humans are even starting to enjoy being Demons just fine.

Which brings us to my next point, in Makai Kingdom we see Zetta creating his Netherworld after it was destroyed. He starts off slow and gradually builds it up over the course of the game. Overlord Babylon mentions destroying several planets on his way to the meeting, implying the worlds are in no way more durable than regular planets. So, if the planets aren't strong enough to withstand the attacks performed on them, how come they're still there?

My theory is that The Overlords of the Netherworlds control the world at a basic level. This would strongly appear to be the case in Makai Kingdom. We even see the Overlords directing their worlds through space, stopping by one another to chat or fight. Which brings me to an interesting point, Salome is strongly implied to destroy Valvoga's Netherworld, or at least damage it to the point of incredible fear/sadness on the part of nearby Overlords. This fits in with the standard doctrine of the universe, "The stronger person wins."

Salome, even in her weakened state, was stronger than Valvoga- so she could destroy his Netherworld. She later tries to destroy Zetta's world, but fails as by this point he's stronger than her. Laharl, funnily enough, seems to also support the idea of the Overlord decreeing what can be destroyed on their Netherworld; as he remarks "I decide what is destroyed". This could just be Laharl boasting, but is it possible there's more to it? That perhaps the reason Netherworlds aren't destroyed every time two Demons get into a fight is that the strongest Demon simply wills their world not to be destroyed?

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: How come nothing is destroyed?

Postby Rednal » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:13 pm

Because destroying an entire world is a really, really bad idea. There are various forces at work within each game - Celestia, the human world, other demon worlds, etc. - and most of those would stand up and take notice when a planet gets destroyed because they're worried about such harm being done to their worlds. An alliance of other powerful forces who would otherwise leave you alone is enough to stop almost anyone from going too far.

Also, the designers didn't feel like going into those ideas or worrying about it too much. XD (<- Probably the real answer)
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:38 am

The same reason the girls in Touhou use spell cards: If they all went out at full force, everyone would die and everything would be obliterated in five seconds.
Houk wrote:THE HYPOTHETICAL CENSORSHIP OF BABIES!

Spoiler:

ZekeFreek
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ZekeFreek » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:06 am

One of the facets of the series is that demons are not as bad as they seem. They're usually callous jerks at worst. Destroying worlds presumably entails the slaughter of a lot of people, which destroys the image of "mean but not evil" demons. Granted, death has varying value in the Nipponverse depending on how serious they want to portray any given situation.

(Storyline deaths are treated as serious, but gameplay deaths are just glossed over. I personally theorize that there could be multiple types of "death" in that universe. i.e. "death of the body" vs "death of the soul")

In a more pragmatic sense, I suppose most demons (or other similarly enpowered beings) have a mindset that wanton destruction is a waste because there'd be nothing to rule over after that. Demons like to obtain and hold on to their power, not waste it all in an instant.
Follow me on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/ZekeFreek
Click Below To Check Out My Original Web Novel Series! Million To One!
Listen me and some chums talk anime at https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuyashath ... ubeythe3rd

Return to “Disgaea Series”