Why do people want online for Disgaea so badly?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
17thColossi
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Why do people want online for Disgaea so badly?

Postby 17thColossi » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:51 pm

I keep seeing people that want online battling between players in the next Disgaea. Now I'm not really into online stuff but from what I can tell, online for this would break down into two scenarios.

1. Two really good players and whoever goes first wins
2. Two average players and it ends in a stalemate.

Now sure, those would be the most common matches and people would occasionally get a good match.

I just don't understand it.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Why do people want online for Disgaea so badly?

Postby vampko » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:23 pm

To test their mettle against the intelligence of a human being, rather than a cpu. Think of how much more difficult it would be to pull off all those giant attacks that you need to set yourself up for?

I personally don't care either way, but I can see how some people would like it.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Taiga
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Taiga » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:29 am

Same reason online battlers exist for Pokémon, because it's different between playing against a CPU or a real person. The meta game would be very different since it would all be around countering the latest strategy other players have come up with.

However, I'll admit, the way Disgaea is built, an online meta game seems almost impossible for the moment. It's not really designed with PvP in mind.

17thColossi
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby 17thColossi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:47 pm

I understand about testing yourself against a non-CPU. But as you said, it's not built for PvP. Seriously, if both players know what they are doing, it just comes down to either who goes first or who makes the first mistake.

They could do time trials. You basically have a set of maps and see who can finish it the fastest. Though that is kind of boring.

I don't know. I just don't see Disgaea series being a good competitive ground. I'd rather they spend all the time they can on a great single player game than having an okay one with online multiplayer. But I guess that's just my opinion.

OverlordMao
Vassal
Vassal

Postby OverlordMao » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:54 pm

in Disgaea 4 I guess it would be something new for Players to look forward to
Other people fighting each other world wide tesing skills on people making it
even more harder and a more of a challenging match to other players.

Alot of people would like that but when it comes out I guess we will have
to wait and see what's in store for us.

17thColossi
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby 17thColossi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:28 pm

OverlordMao wrote:in Disgaea 4 I guess it would be something new for Players to look forward to
Other people fighting each other world wide tesing skills on people making it
even more harder and a more of a challenging match to other players.

Alot of people would like that but when it comes out I guess we will have
to wait and see what's in store for us.

They've tried it before (not online but local) and it didn't work. Disgaea doesn't lend itself to PvP.

I'd rather they spend the time making D4 the most streamlined and fun Disgaea game out there. I mean D3 was okay but a lot of things weren't as good as they could have been. Class World was okay but it seemed slow...I liked the D2 system of raising your stats and things. In fact, I hope they bring back felonies. Those were great, made it less of a hassle to get more EXP.

zatrox
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby zatrox » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:41 pm

I can totally see it: Grind more win more.
Disgaea isn't made for online play, unless they give you pre-made characters or balance your characters levels and stats. Aside from that, you'd also need a counter and...nah, screw it, SRPGs aren't made for online play.
四百二儒十燃やせ
[21:15:19] <zatrox> what the fuck is wrong with you, vampko
[21:15:23] <CirnoThe9> EVERYTHING

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:45 pm

It really isn't needed, unless they change everything we know about the series, online only works in the sense of how TU does it: A ranking board. That's pretty much the only way to incorporate online into a series that is a grind-fest(albeit a very fun one :mrgreen: )
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

17thColossi
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby 17thColossi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:05 pm

See I wouldn't mind a damage leaderboard. That would be interesting. They could do it for all sorts of things like amounts of HL, number of times beaten, damage done, damage received, damage healed, enemies killed, etc.

That would be okay. Leaderboards is something that I would support because it would push people to find new and creative ways to get up there. That would actually work.

Grim-Thanatos
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Grim-Thanatos » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 am

17thColossi wrote:See I wouldn't mind a damage leaderboard. That would be interesting. They could do it for all sorts of things like amounts of HL, number of times beaten, damage done, damage received, damage healed, enemies killed, etc.

That would be okay. Leaderboards is something that I would support because it would push people to find new and creative ways to get up there. That would actually work.

It depends on what type of leaderboards. I wouldn't b very interested in amounts of HL, enemies killed, or those types of leaderboard(no offense) since those types rely heavily on the amount on hours put in. I would rather have leaderboards such as max damage done that requires strategy, preparation, and planning.

Player versus player would fall, but I would like to c some co-op such as in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Just against something like survival or a freakishly hard enemies.

That's my 2 cents.
Don't fear death, haven't you heard? The grass is greener on the other side.

lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:10 am

As far as the main story and gameplay goes I'd prefer that it retains its basic formula, but I'm all for player vs. player battles! If they changed things a little for a versus mode that would be fine. They could make the maps random with weird geo symbols to take advantage of, or make use of a card system, they could do team battles or a three way versus or anything. There's so much they could do to make a versus mode possible, but I just don't want it to affect the main game, unless it's something that works that well, then it's ok.

I really enjoy friendly competition in my games, or even co-op. With gaming and internet going almost hand and hand now, I'd like to see more games (particularity srpgs) supporting multiplayer, even if it's split screen.
"For all of your Neptunia needs, there's an Aph for that"
Harvestasha!

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:09 am

Grim-Thanatos wrote:
17thColossi wrote:See I wouldn't mind a damage leaderboard. That would be interesting. They could do it for all sorts of things like amounts of HL, number of times beaten, damage done, damage received, damage healed, enemies killed, etc.

It depends on what type of leaderboards. I wouldn't b very interested in amounts of HL, enemies killed, or those types of leaderboard(no offense) since those types rely heavily on the amount on hours put in. I would rather have leaderboards such as max damage done that requires strategy, preparation, and planning.

Player versus player would fall, but I would like to c some co-op such as in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Just against something like survival or a freakishly hard enemies.

That's my 2 cents.

Co-op definitely has potential. it'd be cool to be able to bring in a friend to help you with a stage you can't seem to beat. Pretty sure this would be difficult to implement, but I'd like the idea ^-^
Spoiler:

lucian145
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby lucian145 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:56 am

it would be cool to have trading
you could like trade item for items such as one persons keeps on finding ultimus in the item world but no yoshitsuna and another person has the opposite problem they could trade.

also maybe character trade like you raised a certain character but want a different one you can trade with someone for a new one.

japangator
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby japangator » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:25 am

you was able to play against other players in the 1st Disgaea for PSP. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out but I assumed it would work for the later sequals. I won't lie I actually made a wish about online play :oops:

17thColossi
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby 17thColossi » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:01 pm

japangator wrote:you was able to play against other players in the 1st Disgaea for PSP. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out but I assumed it would work for the later sequals. I won't lie I actually made a wish about online play :oops:

It actually doesn't work though. In the first Disgaea, it came down to who went second. Online play just won't work. Like people have said in the past, online battles don't mix with SRPGs. Why do you think Square Enix hasn't tried it yet? Because it just doesn't work.

The other problem is most companies (even big name companies) have a problem balancing between making a good online game and a good single-player game. This means that one will always suffer. If they added online, it would most likely become the focus. Which, I hate to say is bad. SRPGs are always better when it is just you against the world. I'd much rather have a great single-player campaign than a watered down one with broken online component...which is more than likely what would happen.

Return to “Disgaea Series”