What is so great about Asagi?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

What is so great about Asagi?

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:20 am

I am not trying to insult or criticize anyone for their tast, so please don’t take this the wrong.

I dislike Asagi, I think she is boring actually. I find her annoying in a bad way, like when she bitch and moan about not getting her game. Why does she want her own game so much? Why does she want to be the main character? I don’t know her! So of course I can’t relate to her and understand her; she keeps getting a new personality and voice in every game she is in. Sure it is a fun gimmick, but nothing more and nothing else. What is NIS going to do about that in her own game? Swap voice and personality in every chapter? How will NIS ever have time to develop her as a character if they do that? Is not one complex personality better than a thousand one-dimensional-personalities? And if they don’t, and just tell her story like they normally do, what will be so special about Asagi then? What will she be without her gimmick?

Not to mention her, in my opinion, boring design. Her clothes are fine, but the color scheme, black and white, is uninspiring and unimaginative, they got all the colors of the rainbow at their disposal, why not use them? The most colorful about her is her skin. Her simplistic, short and unoriginal hair does not help either.

She is human too. NIS has built this world with all this amazing species and creatures, why the big fuss over a mere human?

What is so great about her?

Again, I don’t want to insult or criticize anyone, I just want to know why, because I find her so boring.
Last edited by LordLaharlsVassal on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Disgaea Light Novels and Artbooks Localization supporter!
Learn more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gaeaNovels

My deviantart: http://maharl.deviantart.com/

japangator
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Re: What is so great about Asagi?

Postby japangator » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:45 am

Well if you're wondering about why this gimmick came up about her, there was this game NIS was going to make a game called Makai Wars where Asagi was the main character, but it got cancelled for some unknown reason. Everything else you say about Asagi is pretty much your own opinion about her.

Ubiquitor
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ubiquitor » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:59 am

I am most thankful that "all the colors of the rainbow" were not utilized; I prefer simple over gaudy. I suppose they could have taken the standard approach: red; that will always be "original".
Obsolete Mafia-archive
Spoiler:

"And now, the rich and beautiful Master Asagi has chosen your stupid game to be her next victim!"
-Asagi, Soul Nomad

LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:29 am

japangator wrote:Well if you're wondering about why this gimmick came up about her, there was this game NIS was going to make a game called Makai Wars where Asagi was the main character, but it got cancelled for some unknown reason. Everything else you say about Asagi is pretty much your own opinion about her.

I know her background and you are absolutely correct, I just want to know what everybody else think is so great about her.

japangator
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby japangator » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:51 am

LordLaharlsVassal wrote:I know her background and you are absolutely correct, I just want to know what everybody else think is so great about her.

Well i just thinks she's great when she's in battle. And plus it would be great for her to be a main character. She was funny and a huge handful in the prinny game

lucian145
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby lucian145 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:19 am

Asagi annoys me as well. Its so annoying hearing bitch about not being the main character, she is just plain uninteresting. She should be just happy that she appeared in more games than anyone else.

Ubiquitor
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ubiquitor » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Sadly I believe that Etna may be in more games. Regarding games that do not feature both: Etna is in Phantom Brave, Cross Edge, Trinity Universe and Disgaea 1; Asagi is in Soul Nomad and Z.H.P.

Is there a correlation between Laharl-fanaticism and Asagi-hatred?
Obsolete Mafia-archive
Spoiler:

"And now, the rich and beautiful Master Asagi has chosen your stupid game to be her next victim!"
-Asagi, Soul Nomad

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Ubiquitor wrote:Sadly I believe that Etna may be in more games. Regarding games that do not feature both: Etna is in Phantom Brave, Cross Edge, Trinity Universe and Disgaea 1; Asagi is in Soul Nomad and Z.H.P.

I liked Laharl, but I have no opinion on Asagi, as I've only seen her D3 counterpart, and that doesn't really give much about her
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Ubiquitor
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ubiquitor » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:56 pm

vampko wrote:
Ubiquitor wrote:Sadly I believe that Etna may be in more games. Regarding games that do not feature both: Etna is in Phantom Brave, Cross Edge, Trinity Universe and Disgaea 1; Asagi is in Soul Nomad and Z.H.P.

I liked Laharl, but I have no opinion on Asagi, as I've only seen her D3 counterpart, and that doesn't really give much about her

I define a Laharl fanatic as an individual who uses Laharl as an avatar.
Obsolete Mafia-archive
Spoiler:

-Asagi, Soul Nomad

Raugion
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Raugion » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Because she's Asagi . . .

Needless to say I don't find her boring, especially comparatively so. Well, look at it this way, if you were the star of your own movie and then they just cancelled it. You wouldn't want your own movie? You have the potential and everything you were so close, but now nothing. The best you can do is be a minor character in other peoples movie and try to outshine them.
As far as the game, it could take place before she lost her game, could be an actual game with Asagi as the main character like it was originally supposed to be, or yeah they could change her personality over and over. Apparently not, if you compare Asagi to a good many characters in the NISverse.
I really like her design. It's certainly one of the most unique if color lacking. But alot of the characters are boring on color, Saphire's 2 shades of blue for example. Her hair goes great with her character design and personality.
Humans are kinda rare, that's part of the fuss. Not to mention she destroys the world using barely a tenth of her power. Plus she's classified as a monster in D2 and transforms into a prinny so she could be some new race of shapeshifter that just has a preferred form.
I'm not sure whether to be impressed with your tenacity, or amazed by your stupididy at this point. . .

LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 am

Thank you so much Raugion for that well written response, I guess I can see how her depression of losing her game could be interesting, but so far they have only barely touch the ground on that one.

Not for me, as a Laharl fan I don't have much to complain about, he has been in evey single game after his own in some form.
I can sympathise with the people that dislike this or/and him, he has alot of flaws that breaks him as a likeable character, but it is also a mixture of his pros and flaws that makes him a relatable and sympathetic character.
The only thing I could complain about is the lack of a very big and detailed Laharl figure and plushie, but he is male so that would never happen.

BTW Did NIS forget to put Asagi in Ragnarok?

burnfist23
Majin
Majin

Postby burnfist23 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:58 am

Actually, I think what's breaking Laharl is not his general pros and cons from the first game but his constant appearances and lack of character development from the first game along with Flonne and especially Etna (Makes me want to pull her sweet tooth out).

Yeah and she hasn't been up for DLC either (So far, it's Erie, Hero Prinny, Cornet, and Rozalin). I'm starting to think Asagi Wars is the stopping point for Asagi cameos.

PunnyFuzz
Majin
Majin

Postby PunnyFuzz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:28 am

I personally have a newfound respect for her after her heartwarming side story in Prinny 2. ;)
Spoiler:

Kromat
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Kromat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:45 am

Think of it this way, she is a character that tries so hard to achieve her goal, but there is someone ahead of head that gets the glory, like was the case with Disgaea 3 where Mao got the lead and not her.

Makai Wars was suppose to come out for PSP suspended and then was suppose to for PS3,
and eventually canceled, so it a joke NIS are playing, she isn't a big part of the stories,
just has cameos, so I don't know why it is bothering you that much.

Neuts
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Neuts » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Meta humor is a bit like sugar: it's great with duller, more fulfilling meals in small quantities, and can lift the mood of an otherwise stale plot arch, but in quantities too large, it makes you feel uneasy and turns your stomach.

Asagi is a gallon of maple syrup poured onto a candy bar. These games (especially 3) overdose on meta humor, and Asagi is the shot of sugar after dessert that makes you head for the bathroom.

Return to “Disgaea Series”