Horned demon discrimination.

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
RiveliasVermillion
Vassal
Vassal

Re: Horned demon discrimination.

Postby RiveliasVermillion » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:08 am

Rhuen wrote:Its a funny thing I realized, we have never had in a Disgaea game a humanoid type demon with horns (as in no horned demons have ever been able to equip normal weapons) even story characters with horns have all been classified as "monster types"

Disgaea: Maderas, Zaninski/Hoggmeiser, both monster types, and Maderas got a second smack when vampire types showed up later in the game making him lose any individuality really.

Disgaea 2: Taro,

Disgaea 3: Raspbyrl

each and everytime any demon even with a humanoid body has appeared, if they had horns they were monster types and only able to use the "monster weapons" which are just stats boosts with no special additions (weapon moves).

maybe they just thought: "hey since they're horned, they might look good as a monster type." or sumthin' like that

Rhuen
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Rhuen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:26 pm

On the features of a demon, it could have been worse. Was watching Yu Yu Hakusho, some demons look completly human in that series. of course many others are freaky looking.

Hoggmeiser had an axe, and Rasbyrl a book, but Maderas and Taro have no unique weapon, Maderas became a whole class of monsters (vampires) Taro though....well I barely ended up using Taro because all his moves were one self healing, three self boosts, and an all squares in one space around him attack. At least Hanako got a distance shooter and could boost others around her, of course her not using weapons was odd too.
Good? Evil? I am what I am; a force of nature.
Overlord? Diety? I wasn't aware I was in charge, I am just the creator.

Taiga
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Taiga » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:22 am

Rhuen wrote:On the features of a demon, it could have been worse. Was watching Yu Yu Hakusho, some demons look completly human in that series. of course many others are freaky looking.

Hoggmeiser had an axe, and Rasbyrl a book, but Maderas and Taro have no unique weapon, Maderas became a whole class of monsters (vampires) Taro though....well I barely ended up using Taro because all his moves were one self healing, three self boosts, and an all squares in one space around him attack. At least Hanako got a distance shooter and could boost others around her, of course her not using weapons was odd too.

That's because Taro is D2 was a tank. A very, very awesome tank.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:51 am

For all those so confused about the reason demons don't look very 'demonic', the problem you're having is that Japan has a different way of seeing demons. We are all plagued by the 'western' view of demons. While Japan has a much more varied approach to how a demon can look.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures_from_Japan
Check out that, and you will see a very different understanding of what a demon can be. Sure, the Oni typically looks very similar to our demons, but yokai are much more different.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Rhuen
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Rhuen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:23 pm

vampko wrote:For all those so confused about the reason demons don't look very 'demonic', the problem you're having is that Japan has a different way of seeing demons. We are all plagued by the 'western' view of demons. While Japan has a much more varied approach to how a demon can look.
Check out that, and you will see a very different understanding of what a demon can be. Sure, the Oni typically looks very similar to our demons, but yokai are much more different.

Actually I don't see what the confussion would be in the west, we have vastly different types of demons, especially if you watched shows like Buffy and Angel that called all sorts of creatures demons. Or look at the HP Lovecraft super-squids and fishmen that influence things like the enemies in the first Hellboy movie.

Just have to keep in mind that the term "demon" is generic, its like "monster". I think Disgaea uses the term "Mazoku" in Japan which means "demon-race" or "evi-race" or "magic-race" (not a cut and dry evil word really).

I don't know if its word for the Angels was Tenjin or Shinzoku though.

I have noticed that they tended to use Mazoku in the past for a wide variety of western styled monsters in shows like Yu Yu Hakusho and SLayers. We have seen a more recent approach in Japanese anime to bring in more Japanese Yokai type creatures such as with Kekaishi and Inuyasha.

But the general "Mazoku" means pretty much EVERYTHING magical and monstrous from ghosts, hair cutting demons, Bakeneko, to devils, dragons, and Lovecraftian horrors.
Good? Evil? I am what I am; a force of nature.
Overlord? Diety? I wasn't aware I was in charge, I am just the creator.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:27 am

Rhuen wrote:
vampko wrote:For all those so confused about the reason demons don't look very 'demonic', the problem you're having is that Japan has a different way of seeing demons. We are all plagued by the 'western' view of demons. While Japan has a much more varied approach to how a demon can look.

Actually I don't see what the confussion would be in the west, we have vastly different types of demons, especially if you watched shows like Buffy and Angel that called all sorts of creatures demons. Or look at the HP Lovecraft super-squids and fishmen that influence things like the enemies in the first Hellboy movie.

Just have to keep in mind that the term "demon" is generic, its like "monster". I think Disgaea uses the term "Mazoku" in Japan which means "demon-race" or "evi-race" or "magic-race" (not a cut and dry evil word really).

I don't know if its word for the Angels was Tenjin or Shinzoku though.

I have noticed that they tended to use Mazoku in the past for a wide variety of western styled monsters in shows like Yu Yu Hakusho and SLayers. We have seen a more recent approach in Japanese anime to bring in more Japanese Yokai type creatures such as with Kekaishi and Inuyasha.

But the general "Mazoku" means pretty much EVERYTHING magical and monstrous from ghosts, hair cutting demons, Bakeneko, to devils, dragons, and Lovecraftian horrors.

True, we even got SPARKLY VAMPIRES :shock: Japan has NOTHING on those...They scare me...
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

nroejb
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby nroejb » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:59 am

The pointy ear discussion reminds me on Star Trek, when Kirk told Spock that pointy ears are signing deamons.
(The Horta episode I believe... how can I remember that crap?)

Return to “Disgaea Series”