Would you buy the Disgaea 1 again if it was given a remake?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!

Would you buy the first disgaea if it was given a remake?

Yes
41%
No
29%
Yes, but only if...(specify)
29%

Total votes: 17

LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Would you buy the Disgaea 1 again if it was given a remake?

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:14 am

I totally would, as a matter of fact I wish NIS would do just that. And this is why:

Seeing Disgaea 4's beautiful HD sprites makes me wish Disgaea one had such beauty.

The Disgaea 4's animated cutscene art is a really nice touch too, I know they did that in Disgaea Infiniti, but if they remade Disgaea they could give it an art upgrade and animate the cutscene art.

Disgaea one never had an animated opening (sure if had an anime, but it sucked so much, the trailer was nice though, they should get the people who did that to make the new opening).

Disgaea one was never released in english fully voiced, even though it has been released tree times. All the other Disgaea had this luxury, but not the first Disgaea, which I think is shame.

A graphics upgrade would be nice too.

They could upgrade the system so it is up to par with its sequels.

They could add more extra modes and cameos and other good stuff. Krichevskoy mode would be fun, it would be like a prequel.

And maybe they could finally end the plot point that was left hanging at the end of the good ending, the part about reuniting Celestia and the Netherworld.
Disgaea Light Novels and Artbooks Localization supporter!
Learn more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gaeaNovels

My deviantart: http://maharl.deviantart.com/

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Would you buy the Disgaea 1 again if it was given a remake?

Postby vampko » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:51 am

It's been remade/ported far too much. I'd rather see Disgaea 3 or Soul Nomad remade. Or even Makai Kingdom. With Trenia being playable.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:00 am

Remake, maybe. Port, never again.

KlayBuddy
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby KlayBuddy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:27 pm

I prefer a new game over more porting of the same game.
I am training in the shadows.
Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:37 pm

I think the story of Laharl and co has been done to death. Which is why people aren't so keen on a remake.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:01 am

We seem to have ran into a misconstruction, allow me to clarify:

"Porting" is term used when a game designed to run on one platform, is converted to run on a different platform.

A "remake" is an updated re-released version of a previous game.

They might interweave with one another from time to time, but they are not the same.

Disgaea has never really been remade, I would say it has been ported with some extra stuff thrown in, and I can understand that people are tired of that, but what I am talking about is a "true remake".

vampko wrote:I think the story of Laharl and co has been done to death. Which is why people aren't so keen on a remake.

I disagree, we have only had the first game and a whole bunch of joke cameos (which was not always bad, Etna was Disgaea 2's saving grace IMO) and Disgaea Infiniti of course, but that just left me hungry for more. I think the first cast deserves better, the characterisation of them was so too rich to waste like this.
Last edited by LordLaharlsVassal on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disgaea Light Novels and Artbooks Localization supporter!
Learn more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gaeaNovels

My deviantart: http://maharl.deviantart.com/

soundmonkey44
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby soundmonkey44 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:28 am

Remaking Disgaea 1 would be somewhat pointless, the best thing we can hope for when it comes to the D1 cast is.... 1. They have more screentime inD4 then they did in D3. N1 makes more visual novel games centered around them. And 3. NISA localizes the Disgaea lightnovel series. Those are better ways to Get more of the D1 cast IMHO.
Fear Not The Darkness, Always Seek The Truth!

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:51 am

LordLaharlsVassal wrote:We seem to have ran into a misconstruction, allow me to clarify:

"Porting" is term used when a game designed to run on one platform, is converted to run on a different platform.

A "remake" is an updated re-released version of a previous game.

They might interweave with one another from time to time, but they are not the same.

Disgaea has never really been remade, I would say it has been ported with some extra stuff thrown in, and I can understand that people are tired of that, but what I am talking about is a "true remake".

vampko wrote:I think the story of Laharl and co has been done to death. Which is why people aren't so keen on a remake.

I disagree, we have only had the first game and a whole bunch of joke cameos (which was not always bad, Etna was Disgaea 2's saving grace IMO) and Disgaea Infiniti of course, but that just left me hungry for more. I think the first cast deserves better, the characterisation of them was so too rich to waste like this.

I love Etna and all, but I don't really want to play through Disgaea again. I already know the story. Even if they made a bunch of game tweaks and whatnot, or even add another story (IE AoD), it still wouldn't be something I would want to pay money for. Them getting cameos in every game, and pretty much starring again in Infinite, and all those things soundmonkey said, are more than enough of the cast of D1. I'd rather see more of the D4 cast, since they are interesting me more than the D1 cast.
Spoiler:

gvyse
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby gvyse » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:40 am

how about the cast of Disgaea 1 in a new game.
if they are in Disgaea 4 and are older, they had to got up somthing good in that time.
Vote for Fallen Angel Flonne DLC for Europe

http://nisamerica.com/prams/wish.php?wid=666

Ashblade
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Ashblade » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:55 am

gvyse wrote:how about the cast of Disgaea 1 in a new game.
if they are in Disgaea 4 and are older, they had to got up somthing good in that time.

This.

I enjoyed playing Disgaea 1, but replaying the same game or a similar game seems rather dull when we could just see Laharl's gang doing something different.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:18 pm

I voted "Yes, only if..."
gvyse wrote:how about the cast of Disgaea 1 in a new game.

This.

el_pablo65
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby el_pablo65 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm all for it. If they could upgrade the graphics and add in the Etna mode that the ports got and then go beyond that with all the post game goodness D3 got, why not? I wouldn't buy a PS3 port unless they at least improve the graphics and then it would have to be at a bargain price (19.99 for example).

What they really need is a way to import your hard trained and leveled characters. As much as I am looking forward to D4 I will be very sad to see my hand made generic characters collect virtual dust in my save file as I start all over again.

Arson
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Arson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:16 pm

I'd maybe want something like Disgaea 1's cast in a new game. I'd expect some gameplay changes, though. Maybe a Blacksmith Shop for weapon augmentation/reincarnating items, or crafting?

roks
New Vassal
New Vassal

Re: Would you buy the Disgaea 1 again if it was given a rema

Postby roks » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:51 am

No only because I own and have beaten the game and post game -- Something more in the lines of Disgaea D2 would be more suitable... I'd love to see the entertaining interactions you were used to in Disgaea 1 (e.g. Laharl v. Etna, Laharl v. Flonne... Laharl and the human cast etc much more entertaining than the faux serious Disgaea 2 and the just plain silly Disgaea 3)

Since I'm still working on the post-game in 3 (just got my final rank 39 legendary and Rank 0 Barefoot X on the same night hell yeah) I don't know what's been changed between 3 and 4+ but if the game came with ..

1) the ability to pause during animations / after an attack (to really bask in the glory of your huge numbers
2) the ability to turn off animation in the middle of the attack with a button press
3) from what i understand the weapon system is back in DD2 which is welcome to me personally -- I see the merits of d3's system however I preferred how rewarding weapon skilling was because not only did it level up on your normal attacks (which grant you no benefit in d3's system) but it also levels up when you use any special move... a good 2 birds 1 stone feel.. A hybrid of being able to purchase your moves but also getting the stats and benefits of the weapon mastery system would be great (if this is already in DD2 then disregard.

along with the more positive changes of the games to date and came out on a console you can plug into a giant tv (i know some love that handheld jazz but it just feels like a waste when it could be on a huge tv!) I'd probably buy it at 30 - 40 dollar price point for sure.

kirbymaster101
New Vassal
New Vassal

Re: Would you buy the Disgaea 1 again if it was given a rema

Postby kirbymaster101 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:51 am

It it's more disgaea, why not? But I would prefer a new game as opposed to a remake.

Return to “Disgaea Series”