Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Seventh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:20 pm

... I've always thought of Disgaea as one of the games that DOES do that, but with the added bonus of post-game cameos and fanservice and the like. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Hell, 1 and 3 really don't rely at all on past characters, and you could ignore Etna in 2 for all the time you had her.
Last edited by Seventh on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2413
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:14 pm
Location: The Internet

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby dood » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:21 pm

I think that the trio could just stop being in there as cameos all together. I would rather see Adell and Rozy (and of course Axel he's my favorite character) as cameos because I really like them as characters. I mean when I go on the forums it feels D2 is more unloved than any of the other Digaea games (I would actually like if someone could tell me that's true). I wouldn't mind if Ash and Morona or Zetta and Pram would be cameos in the games either. Oh and I know nobody cares but I just feel the need to say that Disgaea 2 DHD is my favortie game in general.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

User avatar
Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Posts: 32064
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Shizuka » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Seventh wrote:... I've always thought of Disgaea as one of the games that DOES do that, but with the added bonus of post-game cameos and fanservice and the like. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Actually, it wears off the appeal the characters built on their respective games. How many times do I have to stare at Flonne without actually no story at all? It's just another sprite.

User avatar
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 42005
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 am
Location: 暮し幸せ

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby vampko » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:23 pm

dood wrote:I think that the trio could just stop being in there as cameos all together. I would rather see Adell and Rozy (and of course Axel he's my favorite character) as cameos because I really like them as characters. I mean when I go on the forums it feels D2 is more unloved than any of the other Digaea games (I would actually like if someone could tell me that's true). I wouldn't mind if Ash and Morona or Zetta and Pram would be cameos in the games either. Oh and I know nobody cares but I just feel the need to say that Disgaea 2 DHD is my favortie game in general.

Gotcha.

Honestly, couldn't care less for Adell nor Rozalin. But, I'm not the entire fanbases. I'd rather see more of Raspberyl/Mao/Almaz/Sapphire. I think they're a much better group than any of the other Main casts =^-^=
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Seventh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:26 pm

@dood: Well, there'd probably be a massive uproar from the hardcore "fans" if they got cut out.

I'm always baffled that Adell and Rozy still haven't made it into a sequel ON THE DISC since their appearance though. Maybe one of 3:R's extra modes will give them a chance for something since they're included in it for once.

@vamp: Everyone's going to have their own favorite characters.

@Shizuka: She has her cameo scene(s), just like everyone else, and then you can use her in battle. Honestly, that's pretty good. It's not like any other cameo character is going to get any more, and if you don't like that, no one is making you use anyone outside of that game's main cast.
Image

User avatar
Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Posts: 32064
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Shizuka » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Seventh wrote:@Shizuka: She has her cameo scene(s), just like everyone else, and then you can use her in battle. Honestly, that's pretty good. It's not like any other cameo character is going to get any more, and if you don't like that, no one is making you use anyone outside of that game's main cast.

It's not a matter of me using them, it's a matter of how NIS is using them. They're there, but they're just... There. Gust knows how to do it, NIS don't. It's not a matter of comparison, I just wanted to point that out.

User avatar
dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2413
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:14 pm
Location: The Internet

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby dood » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:33 pm

vampko wrote:
dood wrote:I think that the trio could just stop being in there as cameos all together. I would rather see Adell and Rozy (and of course Axel he's my favorite character) as cameos because I really like them as characters. I mean when I go on the forums it feels D2 is more unloved than any of the other Digaea games (I would actually like if someone could tell me that's true). I wouldn't mind if Ash and Morona or Zetta and Pram would be cameos in the games either. Oh and I know nobody cares but I just feel the need to say that Disgaea 2 DHD is my favortie game in general.

Gotcha.

Honestly, couldn't care less for Adell nor Rozalin. But, I'm not the entire fanbases. I'd rather see more of Raspberyl/Mao/Almaz/Sapphire. I think they're a much better group than any of the other Main casts =^-^=



Well I have never had a PS3 so i could never play D3 sadly. I do my research though so I have a pretty fair grasp of those characters , I like them a lot (to be honest I like the original trio the least out of all of the Disgaea series charcters). But I do like the romantic thing about Adell and Rozalin you know but you have that with Almaz and Saphire to. I suppose it's the embarassed thing about it that I like probably because I watch a lot of anime. I have been thinking about a cool anime of Disgaea where after 4 all of the characters just kind of hang out and go through their daily adventures.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Seventh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Shizuka wrote:
Seventh wrote:@Shizuka: She has her cameo scene(s), just like everyone else, and then you can use her in battle. Honestly, that's pretty good. It's not like any other cameo character is going to get any more, and if you don't like that, no one is making you use anyone outside of that game's main cast.

It's not a matter of me using them, it's a matter of how NIS is using them. They're there, but they're just... There. Gust knows how to do it, NIS don't. It's not a matter of comparison, I just wanted to point that out.

What do you mean?

I mean, what more do you EXPECT from so many characters beyond the main cast? Most series either don't get them or you get something like the Tales series, where they don't talk and you just fight and that's it. A real "cameo" and that's all.
Image

User avatar
Redhorse
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 5249
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:57 am
Location: In Denial

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Redhorse » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:48 pm

The "Infinite 2 but with gameplay" idea actually sounds epic. That would be great. :D

I always felt as if the cameos weren't meant to continue the game they came from; they're there cause some characters are fun to play and you'd like to see more of them. Whatever game they are cameos in comes first; the story of a game that already ended doesn't need expanding upon in another cast's game. Which is why Infinite 2 would be a great idea, because it'd be a story about EVERYBODY and there wouldn't need to be a focus on just one group. That's why Infinite had so much extra character development. Plus, the peeps that make the game probably spend most of their time making up the story for the new cast, not the old. They might not have the time to add so much development (don't quote me on that though).

I'm actually surprised some people think the D3 cast had a lot of development. I thought D3 was funny, but I'd always thought D2 and D1 had the most actual change in character from start to end. Don't get me wrong; I love D3's characters. It just doesn't seem like many of 'em changed all that much (besides Mao/Almaz/Sapphire, I guess).
Also, I figure in cameos, the characters aren't trying to expand story-wise, cause nothing life-changing happens in cameos. In D2, Laharl and Etna were both being their regular, normal selves; they probably didn't mean the stuff they said, they're just stubborn. Also, Flonne was trying to get them to make up; seems like they were behaving typically. Their characters aren't gonna do a development 180 EVERY time we see them; there's no reason to. (I'm speaking without yet getting to where they are in D3, so if something happens then, I wouldn't know about it, btw)
Just IMO, of course. :)

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Seventh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Agreeing with everything you just said. You've said everything I wanted to say but did it just-- Yeah. Well said, Redhorse.

Also, in regards to 3, I dunno - Champloo didn't get much, sure, but I definitely think Mao, Almaz, Beryl, and maybe Sapphire grew quite a bit over the game - Mao and Almaz especially - which is saying something since theirs is shorter than 1 and 2 were by quite a bit.

Include Raspberyl Mode, and that adds a lot to Mao and Beryl, I think, Beryl especially.
Image

User avatar
Redhorse
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 5249
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:57 am
Location: In Denial

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Redhorse » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks. :)

I'm going to have to play Raspberyl Mode now; I didn't know there was development there, so I didn't get it yet. I wonder if I should wait for D3:Returns...

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Seventh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Given that it's ridiculously cheap now, I say go for it. Except for one stage, I blazed straight through it, and my D3 game was fresh from just beating the main scenario at the time.

(It wasn't till I got DHD after that that I learned how to properly Item World, grind, etc. and started getting characters well into the 1000s :lol: )
Image

User avatar
Redhorse
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 5249
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:57 am
Location: In Denial

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Redhorse » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:33 pm

I think I'll do that, then. When you get RM, can you just go right into it from the main story post game, or do you start a new playthrough (like with your stuff carried over)?
I'm still stuck in the 300s area :( , but now that I know how pirating and class world works, I might be able to speed that up. :)

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Seventh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Where the time traveler is for NG+, another Masked Hero will be chilling too who can take you into Beryl Mode. You'll lose a few characters, Mao namely, due to story purposes, but for the most part you'll keep everything and everyone - not to mention Beryl's sidekicks, Salvatore, and Bigster get their fancy new moves.
Image

User avatar
LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:58 am

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:13 am

To answer the topic question first: No, I am not tired of them, but I am really sick of seeing Laharl and Etna’s personalities getting mistreated. Laharl in most cameos act even more immature then he did at the beginning of the first Disgaea, making his maturing throughout the first game a waste of time in outside context. When Etna is only allowed to talk about how much she likes sweets and make the flat chested joke it is disheartening to me, because I know there is so much more to that character. I still enjoy their cameos to an extent, but they are very far from being as enjoyable as they could be.

Shizuka wrote:I feel that Disgaea 1 was the game with the least character development of all three (for now), and that I didn't really get the opportunity of bonding with the main character. Three main characters had to share the spotlight with several other characters, and in the end, I feel like I've seen more of Captain Gordon that I wished.

That is so strange; I had the exact opposite experience. If I was asked which characters in the Disgaea universe I learned the most about throughout the story in any of the games, my answer would be Laharl, Flonne and Etna. In Disgaea 1 the trio is alone for over half the game (episode 1 to 8) and most of the episodes are not story related, most of them are about what the characters wanted/had to do in that particular episode, so most of the dialog was not story chatter but the characters getting to know each other.

I like the idea of Disgaea Infinite 2, seeing all of the characters interact and be placed in crazy situation with one another would be a great way to learn new things about all of the characters.
Image
Disgaea Light Novels and Artbooks Localization supporter!
Learn more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gaeaNovels

My deviantart: http://maharl.deviantart.com/


Return to “Disgaea Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests