Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Official forums for any game taking place in the universe on any platform. Awesome, dood!
Teddie Sage
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Re: Does anyone ever get tired of Laharl, Flonne, and Etna?

Postby Teddie Sage » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:25 am

I don't think I'll ever get tired of them. They're like the Moogles and Chocobos of Disgaea's series. They're mascots and people just can't have enough from them, usually. I would love to have a future Disgaea where Laharl will be the lead character again, honestly.

BrokenKing
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby BrokenKing » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:28 am

Teddie Sage wrote:I don't think I'll ever get tired of them. They're like the Moogles and Chocobos of Disgaea's series. They're mascots and people just can't have enough from them, usually. I would love to have a future Disgaea where Laharl will be the lead character again, honestly.

So would Laharl.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:44 am

BrokenKing wrote:
Teddie Sage wrote:I don't think I'll ever get tired of them. They're like the Moogles and Chocobos of Disgaea's series. They're mascots and people just can't have enough from them, usually. I would love to have a future Disgaea where Laharl will be the lead character again, honestly.

So would Laharl.

Good thing Laharl doesn't get what he wants :lol:
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Teddie Sage
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Teddie Sage » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:48 am

Laharl is just the best anti-hero you'll ever get for the Disgaea Series... <3
Well, at least... That's what I think. I have yet to give a chance to Valvatorez...

Gizmo
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Gizmo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:00 pm

*Thread hop

It depends on the game and the rest of its characters - I like 'em a lot more in D2 then most other post-D1 games since I only really liked Axel and Rozy somewhat.

But yeah, NIS shouldn't rely on them too much.

affinity7799
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby affinity7799 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:28 pm

the D1 trio should always be welcome to return as extra recruitables/DLC. It's great fanservice and it makes new Disgaeas even better with more possible epic teams. Disgaea overall does great job allowing crossovers between past and new heroes, even more so than Suikoden did in the past (Suikoden 2 feature of unlocking the previous hero to team up with the sequel's hero.)

it's kind of like the WWE. include some legends besides present day iconics in the ring and the crowd goes wild!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:13 pm

... No, I'm pretty sure those are the Prinnies. :lol:

Usagi
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Usagi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm not tired of them, at all. As I see it, I'm okay with them being cameo-playable characters, and if they weren't in any Disgaea game, they would be conspicuous in their absence. Character development isn't necessary for characters that aren't involved in the main story, so it doesn't bother me that they don't develop as characters.

Laharl: For me, Laharl isn't in character unless he has anger issues and acts on a whim, even if he did grow in character in Disgaea 1. The Laharl that we see in cameos is the one that I remember, and I think it's appropriate.

Etna: I used to complain that she complained about her flat chest too much. Then I saw her cut-in portrait from Disgaea 4. Now, I think she has every right to complain. The poor girl. But for her to constantly complain about sweets and her own masticular inferiority tells me that she wasn't really all that pronounced in Disgaea 1. After Maderas, there was really no reason to care what she thought about anything. That's when Gorton and Flonne took over the story.

Flonne: We can tell from her appearance that Flonne hasn't been sitting still all these years. It's hard to get tired of a character that is changing the way she is. Also, she's Flonne. We all love Flonne, right?

Their appearances are usually late-game, so they don't wear themselves out. Unlike Asagi, whom I find grating. Asagi, there's a character that goes well out of her way to wear out her welcome. I'd go on about how I can't stand her, but we could be here all day. What do her fans see in her?
^Metlspaz made this.
(Pleinair adorer)

Yajirobe
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Yajirobe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:19 pm

A character who has a different voice actor, a different pose, down-right different apart from the outfit in each game.
Tbh it's kinda hard to say you're an Asagi fan, because the question could be..
Which Asagi?
I don't mind Asagi. I don't hate any Disgaea character, really.
There are some I'll use over others, some I'll never use, and some who will always be on my team since the first game (Laharl and Flonne ftw :3)
Spoiler:
Except Tink.
I hate Tink.
Support Avatar's for EU! Or suffer the wrath of FlonneZilla!
The power of love is mighty! Even giant robot mechs are powered by it. I read that in a coloring book! -- Archangel Flonne
http://niamleeson.deviantart.com/

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:23 pm

See, I love
Spoiler:
Tink
. Useful as hell early on, not bad for a monster type, a fun character, and he's full of potential that we'll never probably get to see touched on.

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Usagi wrote:Their appearances are usually late-game, so they don't wear themselves out. Unlike Asagi, whom I find grating. Asagi, there's a character that goes well out of her way to wear out her welcome. I'd go on about how I can't stand her, but we could be here all day. What do her fans see in her?

I really like her design and how she changes. I really don't want to see them as cameos either because that's all they really are to me. Cameos. If they were to get their own game again I would mind because most of the fan base loves them and it's more to happen than any of the other characters. I would much rather see the cast of D2 and D3 in a new game. Mao and Adell could be good together depending on how they meet in a new game.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:30 pm

dood wrote:
Usagi wrote:Their appearances are usually late-game, so they don't wear themselves out. Unlike Asagi, whom I find grating. Asagi, there's a character that goes well out of her way to wear out her welcome. I'd go on about how I can't stand her, but we could be here all day. What do her fans see in her?

I really like her design and how she changes. I really don't want to see them as cameos either because that's all they really are to me. Cameos. If they were to get their own game again I would mind because most of the fan base loves them and it's more to happen than any of the other characters. I would much rather see the cast of D2 and D3 in a new game. Mao and Adell could be good together depending on how they meet in a new game.

That's where I disagree.

As cameos, they can be fine, and aside from the D1 trio, most are, but uh, everyone already had their game. Spinoffs, maybe they can have those, but a new Disgaea means a new story and a new cast.

Usagi
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Usagi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Seventh wrote:See, I love
Spoiler:
Tink
. Useful as hell early on, not bad for a monster type, a fun character, and he's full of potential that we'll never probably get to see touched on.

He was my item world runner in Disgaea 2.

dood wrote:I really like her design and how she changes.

For a character to be a character, they have to be consistent. It's one way that they make you remember them. I have no problem with Laharl blowing his stack and looking for a pretext to fight, because to me, that's Laharl. On the other hand, the fact that Asagi is all over the place as far as personality is concerned is part of the reason why I don't view her as much of a character. As I see it, she's little more than a character design that insists on being used over and over again. And again. And again and again and again.
^Metlspaz made this.
(Pleinair adorer)

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Well, that's what Asagi does. For her, that IS kind of consistent, in a way.

Keep in mind, Zetta drove her insane. Cursed her, "trained" her, the whole deal - we got a little of it in D2, if you remember. She WAS consistent... originally, but who knows if we'll ever get shown what our resident Badass DID to her to change her from the cute little girl she was to the raving madwoman she is now.

dood
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby dood » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Seventh wrote:Well, that's what Asagi does. For her, that IS kind of consistent, in a way.

Keep in mind, Zetta drove her insane. Cursed her, "trained" her, the whole deal - we got a little of it in D2, if you remember. She WAS consistent... originally, but who knows if we'll ever get shown what our resident Badass DID to her to change her from the cute little girl she was to the raving madwoman she is now.

I really REALLY don't want to think about torcher at all. Especially by Zetta. But I am crazy so I don't mind Asagi being crazy.
BA☆KU☆HA☆TSU

Return to “Disgaea Series”