So, am I the only one who's a bit annoyed at the gimmicks?

Official Phantom Brave (PS2) and Phantom Brave: We Meet Again (Wii) Discussion Forum

So, am I the only one who's a bit annoyed at the gimmicks?

Postby Pinkemon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:38 pm

Don't get me wrong, I still like the game, but I just kinda feel like all of the gimmicks in this game make the battles much more tedious and annoying than they needed to be.

I mostly mean the unit turn limit, the fact that weapons can be stolen and broken, the fact that enemies can just throw you off the map, characters sometimes getting stuck and wasting all of their movement points when you try to move them, the over abudance of skills with hardly any way of knowing which ones are worth it, the lack of proper lifting and throwing, no real stealing, and probably some other minor details that I forgot.

Of course, it's good that this game isn't just a Disgaea clone, and it's good that NIS tried something different.
Not to mention that some things don't annoy me as much as others (The turn limit is pretty much the only thing that I REALLY dislike a lot.) but it kinda seems to me that all of these gimmicks aren't really that enjoyable most of the time either.

Juuuuuust wondering if some people here agree.
ImageImage
Pinkemon
Majin
Majin

Re: So, am I the only one who's a bit annoyed at the gimmicks?

Postby AsukaNeumaki » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:01 am

Yes I agree the turn limit sucks.
ImageImageImage
AsukaNeumaki
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Xeras » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:40 pm

The turn limit doesn't bother me too much, but I really hate it when Saber Kitties through me off the map.

I think the turn limit makes strategies more interesting.
J'Caerah Rhiki of Famfrit

"Oh, wake up, sleepers, and rise from the dead!
Or the fur that they shed that's gonna lay on your bed"

Mewithoutyou - The Soviet
Xeras
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Pinkemon » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:42 am

Xeras wrote:The turn limit doesn't bother me too much, but I really hate it when Saber Kitties through me off the map.

I think the turn limit makes strategies more interesting.

I guess it could make strategies more interesting, although I feel like it only puts more emphasis on rushing things and one-shotting things.

The turn limit gives you no room for a, for example, stalling/tanking method, if you ask me.
ImageImage
Pinkemon
Majin
Majin

Postby Ookiiushidesu » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:40 pm

I had similar sentiments to you the first time I played this, Pinkemon.

I first bought it because it was Nippon Ichi, and that made me squeal like a little girl. I put it in the Ps2, played for about a half an hour and nearly threw the game away. I thought it was ridiculous and stupid. Mostly the turn limit I hated and how confining worked. I forgot about it for about a year.

Theeeeeeen, one day I was terribly bored. I found it again and decided to play it once more. Within 20 minutes I was like..... O.O this game OWNS.. Funny thing was..... I loved it for the very reasons I hated it the first time around.... Bahahahaha.

I actually REALLY enjoy the turn limit. It makes you strategize when you place your characters, and how. The throwing off the edge is all good. Just make sure you have equipment on. And it's cool that it makes you one-hit em. Cuz that's not the strategy they force on you for every enemy. It's a great game. The gimmicks that you're talking about is what makes it not a Disgaea clone.

I kinda noticed that the things you mentioned that it didn't have and stuff were being correlated to stuff in Disgaea. lol.

Idk. I really liked it a lot. All of it's uniqueness :D
Ookiiushidesu
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Pinkemon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:44 pm

^I already said I appreciated the fact that it wasn't a Disgaea clone, and that I still think it's a good game.
It's just that I think some changes just make it more annoying and tedious than exciting(Or whatever it's supposed to be).
There's no strategy in just being chain-thrown off the map by a bunch of kitties, or having to one-shot everything in order not to run out of turns.

Now that I think of it, I still need to do postgame stuff and the extra mode. I believe I was still busy level grinding.
ImageImage
Pinkemon
Majin
Majin

Postby Ookiiushidesu » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:46 am

I know :)

I was just saying that some of the points you were making about what it lacked, or what it didn't do right, were things that you were comparing to Disgaea. Like the opposing points of what you gave is what Disgaea has. That's all.

It isn't one-shotting everything. Sabre-kitties are definitely not the only enemy in the game. Plus, you don't have to confine all of your people on the same turn. If someone has 3 turns, then confine him later in the battle: when (s)he's actually necessary. Also, Marona is given unlimited turns for a reason. It's legitimate strategy. I can see where you're coming from, especially since I was there before.

Hahahaha nice :)

Do you know of the failure title abuse? Putting a failure title on a dungeon, going in one ahead of your level, stealing items, coming back out and applying better titles to them? You can also really rack up mana this way.
Ookiiushidesu
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Pinkemon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:13 pm

^ Yeah, I know about it.

It works pretty well until I am thrown into a room with overpowered enemies that apparently aren't affected by the failure title and I'm completely slaughtered.

Oh well. *Shrug.*

Though, I have no idea how to steal items. I know that you can "Lift" an enemy to take a weapon(And that bottles are apparently the best at this), but then what?

I also have no idea on how to get the ability that gives you a turn immediately after being confined to the dungeon monk. (Apparently that is possible, from what I've read)
ImageImage
Pinkemon
Majin
Majin

Postby Ookiiushidesu » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:17 pm

I've never had a level where they weren't affected by the failure title o.0

What I like to do is find a dungeon (open and cancel the dungeons repeatedly to reset) that has trees as it's main item, small area, and few enemies. Put a failure title on it. Get a good ways into it where you can still one-hit the monsters, but they are much higher level than you. The trees in the level should have like 10k-20k mana in them most of the time (if you're at the point of beating the game with some grinding done). Then you use bottlemails to get the trees.

Well as you said, stealing is a bit different here. First you want to get Quick Attack(1) on your bottlemails. That saves them one turn while getting items. Bottlemails do have the highest stealing rate, so that's the character you want for it. What you want to do is lift the item from the enemy, then throw it yourself. Then you want to confine your bottlemail to it. Keep it alive for the three turns it has or w.e, and it will then "steal" the item :) It tells you the % chance you have at keeping it when you confine it, so keep that in mind.

I wouldn't worry so much about stealing items, rather than going to a high level failure-dungeon and just taking items around the level.

(1) This ability is the one to wich you were referring. Quick Attack lets you act right after confining. This ability appears on these characters.
[*]Ash (level 1)
Fenrir (level 1)
Archer (level 1)
Werewolf (level 1)

[*]You can't use Ash for this.

What you want to do is make sure you have a fusionist. Make one of the aforementioned characters, get a lot of mana on the bottlemail (or other character you're giving this to), and fuse the created character to the bottlemail. When you do that, you can select skills on the character to give to the new one. That's when you will select Quick Attack. This takes quite a bit of mana to do.

If you need more mana, do the failure dungeon thing. Get an item with 10k+ mana and fuse it to your character you want to learn Quick Attack, but don't select really anything besides the stat upgrade. You'll get the left over mana.

Voila! :)
Ookiiushidesu
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Ookiiushidesu » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:10 pm

I don't think the above poster read any of the previous posts at all... lol.
Ookiiushidesu
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Pinkemon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Ookiiushidesu wrote:I've never had a level where they weren't affected by the failure title o.0

I believe it was one of those special levels that has a different screen and a certain bonus before you go to it.
Either way, they were much more powerful than I expected.

Aaaaaaand all of that stuff sounds incredibly tedious. Of course, I will be doing it anyway.
ImageImage
Pinkemon
Majin
Majin

Postby Ookiiushidesu » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:23 am

Pinkemon wrote:Aaaaaaand all of that stuff sounds incredibly tedious. Of course, I will be doing it anyway.

Hahahaa. Yeah. I really like the tediousness, though. That grinding is what I like XD What I do before I get the Quick Attack on the bottlemails is give them my highest speed weapon (throw it on them with the character who has it equipped. That way they can move fast. On the last turn, I have them throw it back.
Ookiiushidesu
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Seventh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Honestly, I found some of the difficulty jumps between stages, the lack of money (to heal in-between stages), along with some particularly annoyingly designed ones way more off-putting than the gimmicks. I was managing alright with that... for the most part, I think, but hell if it did me any good when the game just kept trying to kick me.
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Return to Phantom Brave