Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Official forums for games from the Atelier series
User avatar
Gene
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm
Location: Behind you

Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby Gene » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Spoiler:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/06/22/nippon-ichi-dumps-rorona-from-atelier-rorona/

Warning of explicit content

Basically, NISA decided to drop our main character, Rorona Fryxell from the main cover because of pedophile concern :shock:
So which version of Atelier Rorona cover do you prefer? US or JP?
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 6153
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby shymel94 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Since I don't like site you posted, could you quote where they say pedophilia is the reason for the change? The US and Japan are different selling markets that focus on different things on box art. I quite like both box arts anyways.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

User avatar
Gene
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby Gene » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 pm

I'll just copy the whole article.

"Nippon Ichi has in its infinite wisdom decided to dump Rorona Fryxell from the cover of her own game, the soon to be released English version of Atelier Rorona, a move liable to incense fans.

The Japanese cover shows of some of Kishida Mel’s gorgeous art with heroine Rorona centre stage:

Meanwhile the US cover features a mere stave, and as if to add insult to injury actually uses the same image as the Japanese cover (at the bottom), but panned up to keep Rorona firmly out of the picture, favouring instead some flowery medieval buildings:

An insult to the artistic genius of Kishida Mel and the expectations of fans, or pragmatic marketing based on the assumption that paedophilic Chinese cartoons just won’t sell in the US of A?

Or sheer philistinism on the part of a company unaccustomed to marketing anything not involving a Prinny?"

From Sankakucomplex~

Well, I agree with you shymel that NA cover is pretty good but I have quite of concern if this going to happen with Ar Tonelico 3 which way more mature.

Image
It seems that future NISA release will always have "Only on Playstation" label which kind of distracting i thought.
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 6153
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby shymel94 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:39 pm

:| Did the article really say Chinese cartoons? From what little I've read before from this site, they like to make flamebait articles, which this might be from the way it's worded. As for Ar tonelico, both the 1 and 2 English covers featured the two main girls and the hero and I doubt that'll change for 3. What's inside is what might be a problem.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

cloud668
New Vassal
New Vassal
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby cloud668 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:12 pm

Really, you shouldn't believe anything Sankaku says. I guess that the cover change is probably because of the target audience, though.

User avatar
CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke
Posts: 2395
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby CelticRedemption » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Eeeeh? I really hope NISA isn't planning on using this cover instead of a cover with the main character on it D:

At least make a different cover with a picture of the main character then.. How do you expect to attract people who've never played the Atelier games to buy this if the cover doesn't show anything other than buildings?
I vaguely recall the Atelier Iris 3 cover being nothing more than a white screen with text... which I didn't like either
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Image
[20:25] <Solice> hey, sailor tenshi... blow or squirt?
[20:26] <Kana> ....what

User avatar
Kari
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby Kari » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Except that the cover we got for AI3 was exactly the same as the JP cover. PAL regions got a cover with the characters on it, though.

How do you expect to attract people who've never played the Atelier games to buy this if the cover doesn't show anything other than buildings?

I thought of it this way: Maybe by not putting an obvious anime girl on the cover, you'd get people who may not like anime-style as much to at least pick up the box and look at it. It's probably not THE reason why it was taken off, but some people do look at games with a little anime-style girl on it and think the worst.

I think the boxart is very pretty and well done, better than the obviously photoshopped AT2 box.
Image
Lovebar by Rarutos

User avatar
zatrox
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke
Posts: 3131
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby zatrox » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Gene wrote:
Spoiler:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/06/22/nippon-ichi-dumps-rorona-from-atelier-rorona/

Warning of explicit content

Basically, NISA decided to drop our main character, Rorona Fryxell from the main cover because of pedophile concern :shock:
So which version of Atelier Rorona cover do you prefer? US or JP?

Sankakucomplex.com
There's your problem.
Anyways, I kind of dig the new cover. It's somewhat cool, and pretty different from "Characters floating in background with the game title over their heads" kind of cover.
Image
四百二儒十燃やせ
[21:15:19] <zatrox> what the fuck is wrong with you, vampko
[21:15:23] <CirnoThe9> EVERYTHING

grgspunk
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby grgspunk » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Do you actually take a tabloid site like SanCom at face value?

Really? "Pedophile" concerns? Seriously, that's about as ridiculous as that other guy who quoted an article from the same site awhile back to support his claim that the Japanese consider Kanokon as a family-oriented title.

User avatar
Gene
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby Gene » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:02 pm

grgspunk wrote:
Basically, NISA decided to drop our main character, Rorona Fryxell from the main cover because of pedophile concern :shock:


"Pedophile" concerns? Do you actually take a tabloid site like SanCom at face value?


What's your point? Sarcasm?
O-o flamer. I thought that was over in the old forum :lol:
Don't worry, I don't rally flame so you're free to continue alone :D

Kari wrote:I think the boxart is very pretty and well done, better than the obviously photoshopped AT2 box.


Now that reminds me the box set was indeed pixelated and upscaled :shock:

zatrox wrote:Sankakucomplex.com
There's your problem.


Dood
There's the culprit
Nice new avi ;)
Spoiler:
Image

grgspunk
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby grgspunk » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Gene wrote:What's your point? Sarcasm?
O-o flamer. I thought that was over in the old forum :lol:


I'm just a full-time BS detector. It really suprises me how people actually treat that site as a legitimate and reputable source of information. If I wanted to flamebait for the sake of flamebaiting, I'd be ranting and raging right now, trying to start a fight over the cover art change itself. But there are bigger things to be concerned about rather than some non-descript boxart, like the actual localization within the game itself.

User avatar
Gene
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby Gene » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:19 pm

grgspunk wrote:
Gene wrote:What's your point? Sarcasm?
O-o flamer. I thought that was over in the old forum :lol:


I'm just a full-time BS detector. It really suprises me how people actually treat that site as a legitimate and reputable source of information. If I wanted to flamebait for the sake of flamebaiting, I'd be ranting and raging, trying to start a fight over the cover art change itself. But there are bigger things to be concerned about rather than some non-descript boxart, like the actual localization within the game itself.


I suppose that problem could be fixed easily in the console. PS3 game can be patched so no worries. If anything goes wrong, we can report it to NISA and let them do the fixing :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Image

grgspunk
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby grgspunk » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:32 pm

Gene wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
Gene wrote:What's your point? Sarcasm?
O-o flamer. I thought that was over in the old forum :lol:


I'm just a full-time BS detector. It really suprises me how people actually treat that site as a legitimate and reputable source of information. If I wanted to flamebait for the sake of flamebaiting, I'd be ranting and raging, trying to start a fight over the cover art change itself. But there are bigger things to be concerned about rather than some non-descript boxart, like the actual localization within the game itself.


I suppose that problem could be fixed easily in the console. PS3 game can be patched so no worries. If anything goes wrong, we can report it to NISA and let them do the fixing :mrgreen:


I wouldn't completely rely on patches if I were you. Localization issues aren't the only concerns, as there are concerns with bugs/glitches. Of course, those can be fixed with new patches, but remember, additional patches can always bring additional bugs/glitches.

Remember Modern Warfare 2? That game is the finest example where a development team introduces new bugs in releasing patches that are intended to fix old ones. First, Infinity Ward tried to fix some minor bugs with their first patch and inadvertently introduced the infamous Javelin glitch. Then they introduced a second patch to fix the Javelin glitch and inadvertently introduced a bug that forces players into private servers containing 18-player free-for-all matches on Rust, and the patch also opened up a programming weakness that allowed hackers to use an infinite rapid-fire cheat on their grenade launchers. Then they introduced a third patch to fix the aformentioned problems, and that inadvertently introduced the infinite care package glitch. It wasn't fixed until they released a fourth patch.

Lesson is, patches are not a substitute for proper bug-testing in game development. Fixes in the form of patches should only be a last resort, should not have to be frequent, and it requires the makers to be just as careful and thorough in making the patch as making the game itself. Some slip-ups might happen, but the option of patching a game is not a reason for the company to skimp on trying to minimize problems from the start or rush the whole development /testing process. The PC gaming community is often swamped with updating/patching newly released games because the companies often rush themselves in the testing and development phases. As nice as it is to have an option of patching available to console game developers, I don't think we'd want the same thing happening in the console community either. Not every PS3 is connected to the internet.

User avatar
Gene
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby Gene » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:55 pm

grgspunk wrote:
I wouldn't completely rely on patches if I were you. Localization issues aren't the only concerns, as there are concerns with bugs/glitches. Of course, those can be fixed with new patches, but remember, additional patches can always bring additional bugs/glitches.

Remember Modern Warfare 2? That game is the finest example where a development team introduces new bugs in releasing patches that are intended to fix old ones. First, Infinity Ward tried to fix some minor bugs with their first patch and inadvertently introduced the infamous Javelin glitch. Then they introduced a second patch to fix the Javelin glitch and inadvertently introduced a bug that forces players into private servers containing 18-player free-for-all matches on Rust, and the patch also opened up a programming weakness that allowed hackers to use an infinite rapid-fire cheat on their grenade launchers. Then they introduced a third patch to fix the aformentioned problems, and that inadvertently introduced the infinite care package glitch. It wasn't fixed until they released a fouth patch.

Lesson is, patches are not a substitute for proper bug-testing in game development. Fixes in the form of patches should only be a last resort, should not have to be frequent, and it requires the makers to be just as careful and thorough in making the patch as making the game itself. Some slip-ups might happen, but the option of patching a game is not a reason for the company to skimp on trying to minimize problems from the start or rush the whole development /testing process.


I believe we're talking about a RPG game called Atelier Rorona which the coding is much more subtle and different than a multiplayer game like MW2 that has a more complex coding. Patch is always needed because human error always happened, this fact cannot be ignored.
So you're actually comparing between cat and dog where both are animal but their genus is different.

I know this is a bit off topic, but do you have a connection with someone named Elysion Zero aka EZ?
Spoiler:
Image

grgspunk
Geo Master
Geo Master
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Atelier Rorona NISA Cover

Postby grgspunk » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Gene wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
I wouldn't completely rely on patches if I were you. Localization issues aren't the only concerns, as there are concerns with bugs/glitches. Of course, those can be fixed with new patches, but remember, additional patches can always bring additional bugs/glitches.

Remember Modern Warfare 2? That game is the finest example where a development team introduces new bugs in releasing patches that are intended to fix old ones. First, Infinity Ward tried to fix some minor bugs with their first patch and inadvertently introduced the infamous Javelin glitch. Then they introduced a second patch to fix the Javelin glitch and inadvertently introduced a bug that forces players into private servers containing 18-player free-for-all matches on Rust, and the patch also opened up a programming weakness that allowed hackers to use an infinite rapid-fire cheat on their grenade launchers. Then they introduced a third patch to fix the aformentioned problems, and that inadvertently introduced the infinite care package glitch. It wasn't fixed until they released a fouth patch.

Lesson is, patches are not a substitute for proper bug-testing in game development. Fixes in the form of patches should only be a last resort, should not have to be frequent, and it requires the makers to be just as careful and thorough in making the patch as making the game itself. Some slip-ups might happen, but the option of patching a game is not a reason for the company to skimp on trying to minimize problems from the start or rush the whole development /testing process.


I believe we're talking about a RPG game called Atelier Rorona which the coding is much more subtle and different than a multiplayer game like MW2 that has a more complex coding. Patch is always needed because human error always happened, this fact cannot be ignored.
So you're actually comparing between cat and dog where both are animal but their genus is different.


Cats and dogs, regardless of their differences in genus, both require food, oxygen, water, as well as the proper organs to consume such resources, in order to survive. On the same note, both MW2 and Atelier Rorona, regardless of differences in genre and programming architecture, all require the proper hardware, software programming, and program testing in order to function properly.

People have found plenty of bugs in NISA's games before, regardless of how "simple" they seem compared to other games. NISA specializes in localization, not programming/software development--If they can create strange bugs in the localization phase despite the games' perceived simplicity in programming architecture, it's entirely possible they can create inexplicable bugs by releasing patches, so it's imperative that they be thorough with their testing as early as possible before they release the game. If they make efforts to minimize the chances of needing future patches by investing time in the testing/localization process, they'll be able to save a whole lot of time/money/effort trying to update the game after it's released.

I know this is a bit off topic, but do you have a connection with someone named Elysion Zero aka EZ?


I have no idea who you're talking about.


Return to “Atelier Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest