Atelier Violet PSP is actually happening.

Official forums for games from the Atelier series
SpaceDrake
Majin
Majin

Atelier Violet PSP is actually happening.

Postby SpaceDrake » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:12 am

So Famitsu has confirmed that this is actually happening.

Right then. Frankly, Atelier Judie was and is a somewhat questionable title, but I've rarely ever encountered people who speak ill of AV - the only real complaint I've seen is how complicated the alchemy system is compared to many of the other games (and AV's system formed the basis for what was in the Arland games, so it's got some fans). Judie can probably be passed up, but this here thing needs to happen as soon as humanly possible. This is basically the cream of the Atelier crop from the previous decade, and if it doesn't get to come out in the States this time it'll be nearly criminal.

Heck, if you guys don't move on it I might just have to throw a gauntlet down, here.

So, yeah. I totally want to see it happen. MAKE IT SO, SOAPDISH & BARFLESS.

Phoenix_Apollo
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Re: Atelier Violet PSP is actually happening.

Postby Phoenix_Apollo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:31 pm

This never got any responses? That's pretty disappointing. I'd like to see how this potential Drake vs. Barfless fight would turn out.
ImageImageImage

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:33 pm

There is a topic discussing this game on General Chat, after all.

SpaceDrake
Majin
Majin

Postby SpaceDrake » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:34 am

Phoenix_Apollo wrote:This never got any responses? That's pretty disappointing. I'd like to see how this potential Drake vs. Barfless fight would turn out.

In my head it looks something like this, except be both punt each other down the stairs in the end 'cos it'd be funnier.

But seriously, if NISA wants a little bit of staff help in bringing over Violet? Or Lina? Let's spiel at one another, duders. Just you and I.

androvsky
Majin
Majin

Postby androvsky » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Well, yeah, I'd love to see Atelier Violet get localized. I lose track of what comments I've replied to in which forums, since SpaceDrake is all over the place, but I'm still interested.

But seriously, if NISA wants a little bit of staff help in bringing over Violet? Or Lina? Let's spiel at one another, duders. Just you and I.

I assume you're posting here to drum up fan interest? I'm curious as to how direct contact has been working... I can't imagine NISA rejecting the idea outright, but I can think of a few odd considerations that might slow it down. Their largest cost would be the dub, and none of us can help on that front. If they're not doing a dub, it gets complicated fast, with retail and Sony not liking the idea. Can't just cut out the Japanese voices, and NISA might not like PSN exclusives (which seems odd to me, but not impossible).

Sorry, but the localization process interests me. :)

SpaceDrake
Majin
Majin

Postby SpaceDrake » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Well, I post here occasionally mostly due to the fact that I had an account here well before I "made it big" (or before I even had a proper job, for that matter), and I posted on the old forums for ages. Any fan interest drummed up is, y'know, purely coincidental. ;)

As far as a dub goes, I'll point out that Annie was released sans dub, although there's a bit of a question as to how much that hampered sales.

androvsky
Majin
Majin

Postby androvsky » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 am

SpaceDrake wrote:Well, I post here occasionally mostly due to the fact that I had an account here well before I "made it big" (or before I even had a proper job, for that matter), and I posted on the old forums for ages. Any fan interest drummed up is, y'know, purely coincidental. ;)

I figured as much, I was just trying to find a polite way of saying "If you're serious about this, please tell me you've emailed or called someone at NISA, rather than just posting on the forums". :)

As far as a dub goes, I'll point out that Annie was released sans dub, although there's a bit of a question as to how much that hampered sales.

That doesn't help with Sony's apparent dub very strong recommendation (I hesitate to call it a requirement because of Yakuza) though. Apparently Nintendo is a lot looser with their publishing process, while Sony still has a concept approval stage where they can reject titles because they feel like it. I don't know how strict Sony is with retail PSP titles any more, but I'm not aware of any U.S. retail releases with just Japanese voices for story-related dialogue.

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:52 am

Well if I remember right, Annie was released without a dub because of lack of space on a DS cartridge for dual-audio or at least would probably be too tight to fit in and that NISA wanted to at least keep the original Japanese voices.

With PSP on the other hand, there should be enough room for dual-audio without that much of a hassle since UMDS do have more space to use.

androvsky
Majin
Majin

Postby androvsky » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:13 am

Ar Tonelico wrote:Well if I remember right, Annie was released without a dub because of lack of space on a DS cartridge for dual-audio or at least would probably be too tight to fit in and that NISA wanted to at least keep the original Japanese voices.

With PSP on the other hand, there should be enough room for dual-audio without that much of a hassle since UMDS do have more space to use.

I'm sure they could find a way to fit at least some of the dub audio on the UMD, the problem is that spending the money for the dub turns a simple vanity project into one that actually has to make some money. I'm sure SpaceDrake knows about dubbing costs... :)

SpaceDrake
Majin
Majin

Postby SpaceDrake » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:38 am

Ar Tonelico wrote:With PSP on the other hand, there should be enough room for dual-audio without that much of a hassle since UMDS do have more space to use.

Not... necessarily. Especially with a game as heavy on the high-detail static 2D as AV is (it's more visually complex per scene than the Iris games were, for the record), it's very possible they could fill a UMD to near overflowing, especially if they've put in more content like they say they have. Remember, the dual-layer discs, which aren't necessarily a proper solution, cap out at 1.8GB. The more common SL discs are a measly 900MB.

And yeah, dubbing costs could trouble a project like this, too. The whole reason Atelier Rorona didn't have a "full" dub compared to the Japanese version was that going full-voice for everything would've taken the project way outside of any reasonable budget for the game, if the numbers I'm familiar with are at all indicative.

Hero
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Hero » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 pm

i had no idea that there were single layer and dual layer UMDs. i thought they were all 1.8GB. that sheds a lot of light on things.

anyway, i'm with you Drake. i'd love to see this game localized. more-so than a lot of the other stuff that gets requested on these boards.

Return to “Atelier Series”