Atelier series, and Gust in General...

Official forums for games from the Atelier series
Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Atelier series, and Gust in General...

Postby Darcnova » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Am I the only one who LOVES when a Gust game comes with a soundtrack? I know it's what made me choose the premium of Totori over the standard

Random, I know, but I'm just wondering if I'm insane for the music being a major selling point for me :P

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Atelier series, and Gust in General...

Postby vampko » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:41 pm

GUST games always have an amazing soundtrack, so that's really not such a strange thing.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:29 pm

vampko wrote:GUST games always have an amazing soundtrack, so that's really not such a strange thing.

Exactly...Gust has some of the best music in JRPGs in my opinion...I know I had a choice between WKC2 and Totori...the Premium edition coming with a soundtrack was the thing that caused me to make up my mind, seeing as I enjoyed both

Though more traditional RPGs always win as well, but yeah, Gust games coming with a soundtrack always cause me to prioritize em...

Still listening to my Mana Khemia 1 and 2 soundtracks for instance :P

Vallard
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Vallard » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:29 am

vampko wrote:GUST games always have an amazing soundtrack, so that's really not such a strange thing.

This.

I have Rorona OST, I bought Totori Premium, and I want Meruru when become available.
My main language isn't english, so sorry If I say something wrong.

Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Mlada » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 am

I love Gust music, but a partial OST isn't something I go crazy for with games. Maybe because it's just a sample of the selection that usually doesn't even have my most favorite pieces on the CD. That's why I actually get bummed when I hear the bonus being a partial OST, because I've either already bought the full soundtrack, or have plans of doing so.

The way I phrase it is much like a pudding cup; it's just enough to piss you off. You know, referring to how little there is and one cup of pudding/few tracks of a partial OST isn't enough to satisfy me.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:46 am

Mlada wrote:I love Gust music, but a partial OST isn't something I go crazy for with games. Maybe because it's just a sample of the selection that usually doesn't even have my most favorite pieces on the CD. That's why I actually get bummed when I hear the bonus being a partial OST, because I've either already bought the full soundtrack, or have plans of doing so.

The way I phrase it is much like a pudding cup; it's just enough to piss you off. You know, referring to how little there is and one cup of pudding/few tracks of a partial OST isn't enough to satisfy me.

We get it for pretty much free though. And the actual soundtracks are usually lots more expensive.

THOUGH, with a few of the games we got an almost complete soundtrack way back when.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:47 am

Mlada wrote:I love Gust music, but a partial OST isn't something I go crazy for with games. Maybe because it's just a sample of the selection that usually doesn't even have my most favorite pieces on the CD. That's why I actually get bummed when I hear the bonus being a partial OST, because I've either already bought the full soundtrack, or have plans of doing so.

I dunno...I was pleased with MK1 and 2's soundtrack that came with their CEs, though AT3's was a bit disappointing...so it does seem to differ

Darcnova
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Darcnova » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Yeah, I have about 4 gigs of Gust stuff, due to the soundtracks we get here being incomplete, but even then, it is one of my biggest folders in my music folder :lol:

SpaceDrake
Majin
Majin

Postby SpaceDrake » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Gust has pretty much pumped out bombing soundtracks ever since Atelier Elie, which is when Akira Tsuchiya came on board and forged the Gust Sound Team into what it is today. Yeah, the Atelier sountracks have pretty much always been amazing. It's half the reason I wish we'd get Elie and Violet in particular, both of those games have stunning soundtracks. I'd noogie a baby for a chance to purchase the Unknown Origin remix CD for Atelier Elie legit.

Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Mlada » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:37 pm

vampko wrote:

We get it for pretty much free though. And the actual soundtracks are usually lots more expensive.

THOUGH, with a few of the games we got an almost complete soundtrack way back when.

Yeah, we do get it for free with it, but what good is it when my favorite songs aren't on there? I ususually end up downloading the full soundtrack until I can afford to buy the expensive official one, which is ususually before the game even makes it out over in the US. I got plenty of them, I know just how much they cost...LOL...

But yeah, older games did seem to have a more complete partial soundtrack, and I didn't mind getting them then. But when it seems like most games have at least 2 CD's worth of music, that pretty much means that we can't get more than half on a partial CD, and I like the weird stuff that usually doesn't make it to the CD.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:51 pm

Mlada wrote:Yeah, we do get it for free with it, but what good is it when my favorite songs aren't on there? I ususually end up downloading the full soundtrack until I can afford to buy the expensive official one, which is ususually before the game even makes it out over in the US. I got plenty of them, I know just how much they cost...LOL...

But yeah, older games did seem to have a more complete partial soundtrack, and I didn't mind getting them then. But when it seems like most games have at least 2 CD's worth of music, that pretty much means that we can't get more than half on a partial CD, and I like the weird stuff that usually doesn't make it to the CD.

At least you're not getting a single soundtrack CD on a game with four discs' worth, which would be very disappointing, I've seen some of my favourite games have that large soundtracks scarily enough, and another has so much stuff it takes six discs in all, although I suppose over a hundred different tracks need that much space. :P
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Mlada » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:01 am

Ringwraith wrote:At least you're not getting a single soundtrack CD on a game with four discs' worth, which would be very disappointing, I've seen some of my favourite games have that large soundtracks scarily enough, and another has so much stuff it takes six discs in all, although I suppose over a hundred different tracks need that much space. :P

Yeah, I know that feeling...Final Fantasy I'm looking at you. Then again, I don't recall them ever giving a partial soundtrack in the first place. Surprisingly enough, they don't really do a lot of preorder bonuses and instead just have a special edition and regular (only in the last few FF's that is)...

I'm just more of a knick-knack kind of person. I really love music, don't get me wrong, but odds are I already have it one way or another before the game comes out if it's from a series I already love. I like things that aren't easily obtainable...DLC bonuses are okay, but all in all, they *can* (depending on the type of DLC) be a bit more obtainable. DLC that can only be acquired through preorders better be really special for me to like, like Disgaea 4's Fallen Angel Flonne DLC. I'm happy about that one, but if you get a special item that will lose value in the game early on, I'm disappointed.

The former Working Designs group always had awesome special edition items. Watches, playing cards, buttons, linticular cards, rings, mini standees, etc...I so miss that company.

Flower of the Wind
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Flower of the Wind » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:39 am

I love Gust musics. Ken Nakagawa is one of my favorites <3 His music is so beautiful and the battle music are so awesome and gets me hype. I love the Mana Khemia 1 & 2 OST. :3

Ghaleon
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ghaleon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Welp, my only experience with Gust's music so far is limited to Ar Tonelico 3 and Atelier Rorona, both of them really don't strike me as anything more than standard. People rant about how amazing Ar Tonelico 3's music is, but it's only the tracks with vocals they care about from what I can gather, I personally hate vocals in general so it doesn't sell me out.

There WERE a couple Atelier games that had music from Saitama Saisyu Heiki though, which I'm a huge fan of. When I heard the soundtracks for the Atelier series featuring SSH though, I thought it was his weakest lineup, though still fine. Here is some of his music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VHC31RbX88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osM2rRzYdoc&fmt=18

He can make great original tracks too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHyJjxLj ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK0XRd1X ... re=related

Obviously they're all pretty rocky, he does have a few songs that aren't rock/metal, but I wouldn't expect him to make the entire soundtrack for a game where rock/metal may not seem appropriate (it certainly wouldn't for Rorona!) But given I knew he was used for previous Atelier games before, I had higher hopes >=(

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Spoiler:

Return to “Atelier Series”