All purpose GUST Alchemist's Association (ApGAA)

Official forums for games from the Atelier series
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: All purpose GUST Alchemist's Association (ApGAA)

Postby vampko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:59 pm

LAMV wrote:So, is this like a Gust Memorial Thread?

Kinda? But with claims and stuff.

It also should help people to see how great the earlier games are as well, and hopefully help to possibly get at least the portables and remakes brought over.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:29 pm

All right, I'm down with that.

My first Gust game was Atelier Iris. I didn't use the synthesis system that much -- except to get closer to Viola. (Damn, why couldn't you have an ending with her?!) But I did enjoy the game. It felt like a classic RPG adventure, right on down to the cheesiness (Klein: "This is it... The final battle!!"). The music and 2D graphics were probably the best parts of the game, in my opinion. If there were anything I didn't like about the game, is that I wish it was a bit longer and that they crapped all over Norn by giving her mostly physical attacks when she's supposed to be a mage. What the hell?

Atelier Rorona was my next Gust game. Then when Ar Tonelico Qoga came close to release, I played Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 months before and then Qoga when it came out. Loved them all, although this post would get too long if I said exactly what I liked or disliked about them.

I haven't played any of the other Gust games yet. I bought a used copy of Mana Khemia 1 on PS2 a few months ago but I haven't played it yet. I'm too lazy to bring out my PS2 and fit it somewhere on my small entertainment stand. I may just wait and see if NISA will put it up as a PS2 Classic. Or alternatively, get a new computer so I can play it on the emulator.

I hope that there's some way to get the older Gust games over here. Maybe if Gust remakes them on the Vita and/or the PC...

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:53 pm

My first was Iris Eternal Mana as well ~

I loved the game to death. Before it, I had no clue alchemy could be so much fun. And the cast was just really great. The battle system was also pretty fun. I could really go on and on about this. I ALSO wish that Viola was a possible ending. As do many others I'm sure.

From there, I just sorta got every GUST game that NISA let us have. And I just kept on growing to like them more and more. From their amazing soundtracks, to their beautiful art, and their characters. I just fell in love with GUST. No other game company was important to me for the longest time. I still played other games, but whenever a game had the GUST label, I was more excited than for anything else. And that still holds true today really.

Now, I knew I loved their games in the Iris and MK, and of course the At series, but I felt that Eternal Mana was the most enjoyable, because of its strong focus on alchemy and character releations. Which the later Iris games didn't do a very good job of, and Mana Khemia didn't make synthesis that interesting compared to Eternal Mana. So, when Rorona was first announced, I was sure I had found the game that would give me that which I only got a small taste of form eternal Mana.

It was a day one import for me (I wasn't really thinking, I should have known that NISA would snatch it up) and it seriously blew me away! And then NISA announced it, and I decided to stop playing the JP version, and to just use it as translation practice until the actual game came out. Then, the day came when NISA's version came, and I was blown away yet again! I loved the game sooo much! It had its faults to be sure, but I finally could enjoy a very alchemy centric game, with the whole character relationships aspect!

This got me to take a peek at Annie, and I liked what I saw, but never got around to making the purchase.

Then, Totori was announced, I wanted to import it like crazy, but this time I trusted in NISA, and waited patiently, only checking out a couple vids here and there. Then, the day FINALLY came. I had been waiting for SOOOo very long. And the game delivered in every possible way and then some! And, the DLC. I wasn't sure about it at first, but, I wanted to support GUST/NISA the best I could, so I bought it ALL. My first playthrough I stayed away from the DLC largely, to get the 'vanilla' experience.

Then, my second playthrough, I perused ALL the tracks, and fell in love with all the older tracks, and this made me really want to check out the older games. From that point on, both of my workshops never had a single tune from any of the Iris, MK, or Arland games. And that's stayed true still. the music's just soooo amazing!

Well, while the music had really entranced me, and Annie had tempted me, that still hadn't brought me to the realization that GUST had always been making masterpieces.

It all started with a comment on I think it was the Disgaea squad topic? Someone was daring Kotakoni to make a squad for the Atelier games. That lit something in me, and I KNEW I had to do it before anyone else could. I thought it would just be a quick journey of finding character portraits and posting them up. But, it turned into a perusing of some of the finest character designs I had ever seen. A long with details about the games themselves that just entranced me. After this project, is when I finally was truly able to appreciate how amazing GUST has always been. And it put a strong lingering in me to see the other unreleased games to make their way over here.

And that...was a REAAALLLLY long diatribe :lol:

I need to stop obsessing over GUST so mcuh....nah : P
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

aquagon
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby aquagon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Ironically, my first Gust experience was the first Ar tonelico. From there I went on to Ar tonelico II (JP version), Mana Khemia, the three Atelier Iris games, Mana Khemia 2, Atelier Annie, and most recently, Atelier Lina and Atelier Marie (all of these games cleared in a 100%).

I haven't played any of the Arland games yet because of lack of money for buying them (although I intend to buy at least Rorona or Totori for Christmas).

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:32 pm

I would really love it if Gust made another Atelier Iris 1-like game that combines traditional RPG adventure with the synthesis system. Even better if you can get certain endings with it, further encouraging the use of synthesizing.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:45 am

LAMV wrote:I would really love it if Gust made another Atelier Iris 1-like game that combines traditional RPG adventure with the synthesis system. Even better if you can get certain endings with it, further encouraging the use of synthesizing.

Atelier....Meruru?

You should see the combat system on that game ~
Spoiler:

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:45 am

vampko wrote:
LAMV wrote:I would really love it if Gust made another Atelier Iris 1-like game that combines traditional RPG adventure with the synthesis system. Even better if you can get certain endings with it, further encouraging the use of synthesizing.

Atelier....Meruru?

Well I won't know until I play the game for myself. But doesn't it still have time management? It's still not quite traditional RPG adventure.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention I also played Atelier Totori in my big post from earlier.

kotakoni
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby kotakoni » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:12 am

I cried when there was no Mimi. I want Mimi.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:54 am

LAMV wrote:
vampko wrote:

Atelier....Meruru?

Well I won't know until I play the game for myself. But doesn't it still have time management? It's still not quite traditional RPG adventure.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention I also played Atelier Totori in my big post from earlier.

Mana Khemia had time management >.>

I think Meruru's going in the right direction. It has fun combat, and lots to do with Alchemy, a long with the time management.

Yes, the battles aren't as exciting as Iris or the Al Revis games. But, they're moving in the right direction, because they're not ditching the alchemy aspect, or the whole what makes Atelier games, 'Atelier', like the Iris and Al revis games managed to to an extent.

I don't even know what I"m saying anymore :lol:

I loved the Iris and Al Revis games, but the Arland games moreso, and I feel like the Salburg/Gramnad/etc I will love just as much as the Arland, if not more.
Spoiler:

raspberrylicious
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby raspberrylicious » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:08 pm

vampko wrote:It all started with a comment on I think it was the Disgaea squad topic? Someone was daring Kotakoni to make a squad for the Atelier games. That lit something in me, and I KNEW I had to do it before anyone else could.

I believe that was me in the Ar tonelico topic, teehee~ :lol:
Anime List | Visual Novel List | 3DS FC: 3781-0258-9209 | Miiverse: raspbear

Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Mlada » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:36 am

After much debating between Isolde Schelling and Sulphur from the Al Reyvis unit as well as Liese from Atelier Annie, I think I'll go with Liese...She was just so fun to interact with in that game...it's the main reason I'm saddened that we probably will never see Atelier Lise get brought overseas...

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:32 am

Mlada wrote:After much debating between Isolde Schelling and Sulphur from the Al Reyvis unit as well as Liese from Atelier Annie, I think I'll go with Liese...She was just so fun to interact with in that game...it's the main reason I'm saddened that we probably will never see Atelier Lise get brought overseas...

A fine choice indeed ~
Spoiler:

Mlada
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Mlada » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:23 am

Woot!

ShadowJetX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ShadowJetX » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Sooooooo... can I have Elfir Traum?

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:14 pm

ShadowJetX wrote:Sooooooo... can I have Elfir Traum?

Gomen...I lost track of your claim. It's taken care of ~
Spoiler:

Return to “Atelier Series”