Do you think Ar Tonelico 3 will get localized?

The official forums for all things Ar Tonelico
Cless
Vassal
Vassal

Re: Do you think Ar Tonelico 3 will get localized?

Postby Cless » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Kind of disappointing that it's yet another Gust localization that will take over a year from its Japanese release, but not unexpected.

What would make me really happy is some sort of confirmation of Nick being given the primary script editing position...

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:08 am

Cless wrote:Kind of disappointing that it's yet another Gust localization that will take over a year from its Japanese release, but not unexpected.

Well most RPGs have big stories, big item lists, and skits/talk topics/ect that make a huge amount of text to translate. Unless an RPG is done by a big company, one year is the average localization time I've seen.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

Cless
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Cless » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:21 am

The industry average Japan->US release gap for RPGs is along the lines of 6-8 months. NISA's first party, Hitmaker, and Compile Heart game release schedules fall under this, as do Atlus' (though Atlus' first party games are usually 6 months, their licenses are the ones that take around 8 months).

For some reason Gust releases need 4-6 months on top of the average, except Atelier Annie, curiously.

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:01 pm

I would venture that the complexity and sheer amount of dialog in Ar Tonelico games might have something to do with it.

I don't get the Qoga bit, is that just their codename for it or are they actually bothering to change the title?

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:04 pm

Qoga is hymmnos (the series' own language) for end if I recall correctly. The full title is Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel.
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/16/ar ... xt-spring/
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1106693p1.html

Cless
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Cless » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:37 pm

betaflame wrote:I would venture that the complexity and sheer amount of dialog in Ar Tonelico games might have something to do with it.

It took Capcom eight months to turn around Miles Edgeworth. On the other hand, Apollo Justice took ten. I'd imagine the Ace Attorney games have an order of magnitude more dialogue than most RPGs. Plus, they go through heavier levels of adaptation than most.

I'm more concerned about the turn-around time of Gust games in general, since they're out of the ordinary across the board.

PLD_Danny1989
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby PLD_Danny1989 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:08 am

Is it seriously being called "Qoga"?

I'm sorry, I'm happy that NIS have announced the localization, but why the title change? To me it sounds as though this would be a side story rather than the a full sequel if we weren't already aware that this is ATIII. Plus this'd open up future title problems if Gust decided to make Ar Tonelico IV.

Not only that, but being a perfectionist, It'd just look odd placing this next to Ar Tonelico I and II with the title of Qoga rather than III there. ;P

I mean, I could probably come up with several better titles that Ar Tonelico Qoga. Here's some examples:

Ar Tonelico III: Melody of Qoga (Keeping with the series own language)
Ar Tonelico III: Melody of Demise
Ar Tonelico III: Knell of Ar Ciel

etc.

Furthermore, as I said earlier, we already know about this being Ar Tonelico III, but what about a person just getting into the series? Wouldn't it strike as odd to them with this kind of title if they know nothing about the series already?

All in all, this would be much better in my opinion if it were kept as Ar Tonelico III: (Subtitle here) rather than anything else. I just don't understand why it needed a name change like this.

Kari
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Kari » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:24 am

In the interview with the translator on T-ono, they said they changed the name because they wanna try to get new people into the series, and tacking a III on the end would make it seem like they need to play the first two, when they really don't need to. Atlus did something similar to Growlanser V.
Lovebar by Rarutos

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:39 am

Since i've played Ar tonelico III, I say playing the 1st 2 is a must especially Ar tonelico II to really enjoy Ar tonelico III.

PLD_Danny1989
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby PLD_Danny1989 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:48 am

Kari wrote:In the interview with the translator on T-ono, they said they changed the name because they wanna try to get new people into the series, and tacking a III on the end would make it seem like they need to play the first two, when they really don't need to. Atlus did something similar to Growlanser V.

Considering though (from what Ar Tonelico posted) then wouldn't it be better to keep the III in there so that if new fans enjoyed III they'd track down copies of I and II and play them? Furthermore, as III is a direct sequel of I and II, wouldn't the III be needed even more so?

Though I do have a suggestion which could be considered. Ar Tonelico HD Collection?

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:51 am

An Ar tonelico HD Collection is up to Gust though. NIS America would only just localize it for Americans to have it too.

inflames_4ever
Peon
Peon

Postby inflames_4ever » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 am

YES!!! So stoked that this is coming out in the US. Hopefully NISA will localize the DLC as well.

Time to go back and play the first two again!

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:55 am

I would think NISA would do the DLC as they've done the DLC of the games that have it.

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:57 am

The dlc is great and I have no doubt that NISA will bring them over.

Agate
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Agate » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:47 pm

I would whish the dlc would be directly in the standard game for us but I think i'm dreaming a bit too much here :lol:
A quick question what is the meaning of the subtitle "Knell of Ar Ciel", for Ar Ciel I think it's the world's name ( the one recover by the sea of death ) but I'm not sure also I have searched for a French translation of knell in word reference hovewer he was just like me it doesn't know this word as well so I'm wondering what does it mean.

Return to “Ar Tonelico Series”