Do you think Ar Tonelico 3 will get localized?

The official forums for all things Ar Tonelico
Solice
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Do you think Ar Tonelico 3 will get localized?

Postby Solice » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Agate wrote:I would whish the dlc would be directly in the standard game for us but I think i'm dreaming a bit too much here :lol:
A quick question what is the meaning of the subtitle "Knell of Ar Ciel", for Ar Ciel I think it's the world's name ( the one recover by the sea of death ) but I'm not sure also I have searched for a French translation of knell in word reference hovewer he was just like me it doesn't know this word as well so I'm wondering what does it mean.

knell is a word in English. From dictionary.com:
knell

–noun
1.the sound made by a bell rung slowly, esp. for a death or a funeral.
2.a sound or sign announcing the death of a person or the end, extinction, failure, etc., of something: the knell of parting day.
3.any mournful sound.

–verb (used without object)
4.to sound, as a bell, esp. a funeral bell.
5.to give forth a mournful, ominous, or warning sound.

–verb (used with object)
6.to proclaim or summon by, or as if by, a bell.

For example, someone's death's knell would be a deathcry. If we substitute meaning, the subtitle could be (among others) "Mournful Lament of Ar Ciel."

[Stream (Offline):] [Youtube]
Join the Unofficial NISA Chat! [IRC | Teamspeak]

Agate
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Agate » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Yes I knew knell was an English word, I was searching to translate it in French (my nattive language) to understand the meaning but was enable, thanks for the definition.

Kari
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Kari » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:58 pm

PLD_Danny1989 wrote:Considering though (from what Ar Tonelico posted) then wouldn't it be better to keep the III in there so that if new fans enjoyed III they'd track down copies of I and II and play them? Furthermore, as III is a direct sequel of I and II, wouldn't the III be needed even more so?

I suppose in that case they'd look for other games with the words "Ar tonelico" in the title. III is a direct sequel to I and II, but it's more detached from those than say, how connected I and II are. I think Gust themselves said this as well.
Lovebar by Rarutos

Hundred Legs
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Hundred Legs » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:05 pm

I made an account so I could post here. First, I'd like to say that I am very happy to hear that AT3 is getting brought to the US! Second, however, I don't particularly like the title change. I'm generally picky about titles in general, but I know I'm not alone when I say that changing the "III" to "Qoga" not only looks weird, but is awkward to pronounce. I know what Qoga means, and I'm perfectly cool with that, but it's all about the pronunciation, you see. I read that this was done to appeal to people who aren't already fans of the series, but in my honest opinion, I think it might actually be a bit more of a turn-off due to these foreign words. The name "Ar tonelico" is already pretty unique, so adding Qoga just might make things more confusing. I also read that Qoga was used because this was supposed to be the final game in the series, but I also read that Gust was contemplating on making a fourth installment. I'd hate to see NISA's title become incorrect!

Lastly, I've seen the logo for Qoga, and I certainly hope that is a WIP... it leaves too much white space for it's own good. Another reason to not have Qoga in the title, I guess--it really disrupts the flow of the logo.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I'm still looking forward to the game regardless.

Ash
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:08 am

Kari wrote:I suppose in that case they'd look for other games with the words "Ar tonelico" in the title. III is a direct sequel to I and II, but it's more detached from those than say, how connected I and II are. I think Gust themselves said this as well.

Actually, I disagree. II was much more detached from I. It's true that III can be played standalone since the game has a habit of regurgitating facts about the background of the series, but there are far more references to events and characters from I and II than there were in II from I. (I would go as far as to say that the plot "jumps from I to II, which then flows into III".) The recurring characters play a far heavier role in III than in II, as well. The only really arguable 'detachment' was the transition from sprites to 3D models, and the complete remake of the battle system.

Tangent: I also don't think the battle system is anything worth buying the game for, either. It is incredibly dull, repetitive, and clunky, which is next to unforgivable given how refined the action genre has gotten over the years. Purging is gimmicky and gets old fast; a lot of people will probably end up turning the purging movies off after seeing them once or twice because it's too disruptive to the battle flow (which really is just mashing the square button until you can purge! &rinse and repeat until you can a. use a finishing blow, or b. COSMOFLIP!!). A newcomer to the series is likely not to enjoy the battle system, particularly if they have experience with other games with an action-oriented battle system.

As for the title, I think affixing Qoga is a really, really bad idea. The word isn't familiar to most people (including people who are fans of the series already), and it's a really ugly-looking word anyway. The pronunciation is not obvious, which is a huge problem (as Hundred Legs has also mentioned). Besides how foreign words are poorly received, NISA probably does not have the money to do much marketing beyond mentioning it in its newsletter/twitter and talking about it in interviews, both of which are directed toward people with a vested interest in the games NISA localize anyway. That means they're reliant on word-of-mouth to get people into it, which, well... "You're recommending me a game you don't even know how to pronounce?"

I really don't like the subtitle, either. As someone else mentioned, NISA probably should've stuck with Melody of ______, especially since this new title ruins the continuity. Personally, I think Melody of Ar Ciel or something like that would've been much better, since it's not odd enough to turn a newcomer away, and it would give a tone of finality to anyone familiar with the story/series. Elemia and Metafalica are both central regions to their respective games, but they're still just small places on the surface of Ar Ciel with comparatively small problems when you look at Ar Ciel's SEA OF DEATH. Movement of small -> large indicates an approach to the climax and end of something.
&Twitter: veregna

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Hundred Legs wrote:I also read that Qoga was used because this was supposed to be the final game in the series, but I also read that Gust was contemplating on making a fourth installment. I'd hate to see NISA's title become incorrect!

Two words: Final Fantasy.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Hundred Legs
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Hundred Legs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:25 am

magusgs wrote:
Hundred Legs wrote:I also read that Qoga was used because this was supposed to be the final game in the series, but I also read that Gust was contemplating on making a fourth installment. I'd hate to see NISA's title become incorrect!

And? Final Fantasy is the name of the series, just like Ar tonelico is. I'm not focusing on the actual name of the series, but rather the word fixated at the end of the title, in this case "Qoga".

Taiga
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Taiga » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:31 am

Hundred Legs wrote:
magusgs wrote:

And? Final Fantasy is the name of the series, just like Ar tonelico is. I'm not focusing on the actual name of the series, but rather the word fixated at the end of the title, in this case "Qoga".

Yes, but the name "Final Fantasy" was the name they gave the "last" game they were going to produce as Square was going bankrupt.

And oops, it was so good it got them out of the hole and they went on making more "Final Fantasies".

robeduriv
Majin
Majin

Postby robeduriv » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:51 am

Hey everyone, this is my first post so sorry in advance if I've made any sort of mistake. I just found out the great news about AT3's localization from an IGN article. I don't mind it taking about a year from now for it to be released but I am concerned about something other than the title which I also agree should be renamed.

My concern is that hopefully any content from the JP version is neither heavily edited or even worse removed. Based on what I've read from those who have played the JP version, the suggestive themes in this title are a bit more intense which I and of course most of us NIS game fans don't mind and simply find it entertaining. Unfortunately, in my opinion the same can't be said about the U.S. society since the majority is more sensitive towards this type of content even though in the end it's just a work of fiction. I say this based on recent cases such as the ridiculous Mass Effect scandal although nothing could have been done since it is rated M for mature audiences anyway.

Here is where I would like to hear your input about what I would like to suggest NISA to prevent the removal of any content from this awesome and unique RPG title. It seems that NISA wants to attempt to appeal a wider audience due to the name change so it has to be rated T for teen in order to do this. Of course, I don't think the ESRB will let that happen unless it undergoes some changes and for AT3 that might mean a lot of changes. I don't know if it's true but I think I also read a while back that AT3 has an option to remove or minimize the strong suggestive themes. If that's the case, here's my idea for NISA to please everyone if by any chance the ESRB comes up with any issues. They should release a rated M and T version. The rated M version will not undergo any removal in game content and remain mostly similar to the JP version. The T version will go by the said option in the JP version that reduces the suggestive theme content.

Pardon me for writing such a long post but I want to enjoy this type of entertainment to the fullest possible and I will be very upset if any content is removed just because of "society's view" on it. I don't know if this is also the reason why the hostess clubs were removed in Yakuza 3 but it pleases me and so many other fans very much that supposedly they will not be removed in Yakuza 4. Thanks for taking the time reading my opinion and please let me know if it is worth suggesting to NISA, consequences that you think might happen if NISA attempts to do this, or if it's just a plain stupid idea and I'm overreacting and such.

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:33 am

The suggestive themes in Ar tonelico III are not really that bad to get like a Mature rating. I think it would go for just a very high Teen rating just like how Japan gave it a Cero C rating which is like ages 15+. Plus even though there is like the Purging,
Spoiler:
Aoto falling on top of Salapator who turns back into Saki when Finnel kicks Aoto in the face because of the wedding event which leads to well Aoto accidentally grabbing Saki's breasts
, feeding, and stripping the Reyvateils to power them up and other stuff like that too. I say as long as we can have games like GTA, and other games like that, Ar tonelico III is not as bad as it sounds when it comes to some of the other games that are available that get so much praise. But I do wonder what age NISA is going to give Saki since afterall Saki is 15 according to the description in the Extras section of the game and that seems perfect for her since Finnel is 17.

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:49 am

I would like to add that another game, Soulcalibur 4, had a similar feature with the cast loosing their clothes and is rated T for Teen. At least three girls in the game are underage I believe. Some of the female cast also wears provocative clothing. All hope is not lost for a T rating.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:57 am

Plus in Soul Calibur 4 with the customization, you can even adjust the breast size where they can be very flat, or can make their breasts very big. Can make the fighters fight in their underwear for the whole battle, or have the opponent take them off for you by attacking you or you attacking them which was also added into the PSP Soul Calibur game(though that one seems to me like it's a Soul Calibur 4 wannabe).

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:53 pm

Ar Tonelico wrote:But I do wonder what age NISA is going to give Saki since afterall Saki is 15 according to the description in the Extras section of the game and that seems perfect for her since Finnel is 17.

They changed Rorona's age: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1831#p38736

If they felt the need to change ages in Atelier Rorona, it's pretty reasonable to expect they'll do the same in Ar Tonelico 3, a title with a whole lot more suggestive content.

It's a fact of life in the H-game industry. Just smile and nod.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Hundred Legs
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Hundred Legs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Taiga wrote:
Hundred Legs wrote:
magusgs wrote:Two words: Final Fantasy.

Yes, but the name "Final Fantasy" was the name they gave the "last" game they were going to produce as Square was going bankrupt.

And oops, it was so good it got them out of the hole and they went on making more "Final Fantasies".

I know why the series was called Final Fantasy. It's also called that in Japan, where Ar tonelico Qoga is English-only. There is a huge difference.

I've seen instances like these where the English localization decides to be clever and change the title. And in these instances it usually ends up causing more trouble. I'm just saying that I don't think NISA should try to fix something that isn't broken.

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:39 pm

I know why the series was called Final Fantasy. It's also called that in Japan, where Ar tonelico Qoga is English-only. There is a huge difference.

I've seen instances like these where the English localization decides to be clever and change the title. And in these instances it usually ends up causing more trouble. I'm just saying that I don't think NISA should try to fix something that isn't broken.

reminds me of Boku to Maou ( Me and the Demon King ). which someone got renamed to Okage: Shadow king in the enlgish version
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
[20:25] <Solice> hey, sailor tenshi... blow or squirt?
[20:26] <Kana> ....what

Return to “Ar Tonelico Series”