Do you think Ar Tonelico 3 will get localized?

The official forums for all things Ar Tonelico
magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Do you think Ar Tonelico 3 will get localized?

Postby magusgs » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:59 am

From the otakuxgamer interview:
Ar Tonelico 3 Localization Coordinator wrote:Do you know whether or not we're going to be getting both English and Japanese voice tracks for Ar tonelico III?

You are getting the full Japanese voiceover.

Is there going to be an English one?

Yes, but I'm pretty sure we're going to have to cut down some of the lines because of memory issues and other reasons. But you're going to get both languages, and the full Japanese voiceover.

I'm dumbfounded. Not that I care about the English track (I'm satisfied with a full Japanese track), but they ran into the same technical issues on first the PS2 and then the PS3? How come other dual voice track games don't run into this problem? Is it specific to the engine used by the Ar Tonelico games? By all Gust games?
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Solice
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Solice » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:06 am

magusgs wrote:From the otakuxgamer interview:
Ar Tonelico 3 Localization Coordinator wrote:Do you know whether or not we're going to be getting both English and Japanese voice tracks for Ar tonelico III?

Yes, but I'm pretty sure we're going to have to cut down some of the lines because of memory issues and other reasons. But you're going to get both languages, and the full Japanese voiceover.

I'm dumbfounded. Not that I care about the English track (I'm satisfied with a full Japanese track), but they ran into the same technical issues on first the PS2 and then the PS3? How come other dual voice track games don't run into this problem? Is it specific to the engine used by the Ar Tonelico games? By all Gust games?

I'm dumbfounded as well. If they're talking about memory, I can only imagine that 256 MB of ram in the PS3 isn't enough somehow. They must be using a horribly inefficient method of loading both language tracks at once, instead of loading just the one that's selected... or possibly a bad compression method as opposed to the Japanese track? Maybe they're recording in stereo instead of mono like they should... If it's not something they're doing wrong, then I cannot even speculate on this...

[Stream (Offline):] [Youtube]
Join the Unofficial NISA Chat! [IRC | Teamspeak]

Kari
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Kari » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 am

Gust games have never been the most stable things in the universe, so maybe there's memory problems there. But I think it's more money and time problems, since NISA is a smaller company they can't devote as much time/money to hiring VAs and studio time.
Lovebar by Rarutos

robeduriv
Majin
Majin

Postby robeduriv » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:49 am

magusgs wrote:From the interview linked above:
Ar Tonelico 3 Localization Coordinator wrote:Do you know if there's going to be any censorship?

First of all, if you think Ar tonelico is dirty, that's because you've got something on your mind. It's totally innocent. It's not supposed to be dirty or provocative. You know, the presenter said it's provocative, right? I think it's his perception. For me, it's totally innocent. But I do understand what you're talking about. The only thing I can say is - "you'll get everything that is in the Japanese version, and even more." So, to answer your question, we can get away with it. It's not supposed to be dirty or anything - it shouldn't be an issue in the first place. I think it's gonna get, most likely, a Teen or Mature [rating].

So you're not going to change anything to get a lower rating?

We're not going to compromise. We're gonna chose the game itself rather than the rating, but most likely it's going to get a Teen or Mature, maybe...

Matter settled. They're not going to alter the game to change the rating (save for some ridiculous situation where the ESRB rates the game adults only, perhaps).

As for the title...who cares if they include the 3 or not? Any fan will know it's the 3rd game in the series. The altered title was approved by Gust (and it's fitting enough). If replacing the 3 with Qoga hooks more casual gamers (who perhaps don't have a PS2), then let them do it.

Thank you very much prinny's sidekick for posting this article and magusgs for pointing out the part concerning the game content. As you can see, even the Localization Coordinator is assuming that the ESRB might rate AT3 a Mature rating if nothing is changed or removed which we should look forward to. There's no way it would go to AO since the nudity is partial and no intercourse is visually shown. It's best if NISA allows the M tag to go through since then they would not have to waste time doing any editing to the content and all possible protests that might arise from sensitive parents or the majority that "judge books by their cover" will be nullified. It's happened before with Mass Effect and will most likely happen with AT3 in MSNBC this time stating: "OMG! THIS GAME PROMOTES UNDERAGE STRIPPING, TEEN PREGNANCY, SUCH HORRIBLE POISON FOR OUR CHILDREN, ANOTHER PREMONITION THAT THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US!" Besides, as some here have already pointed out if kids can manage to get their hands on Grand Theft Auto 4 which is rated M, there should be no problem for any mature minded teenager to be able to get AT3 if the interest arises. However, we should reassure NISA that we don't mind AT3 getting the M tag in case they get second thoughts along the way. I'm thinking of posting a thread in the suggestion section where all members who don't care if AT3 gets an M tag in order for the complete JP content to go through, to gather up and each of us post our approval.

noexcusepunk
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby noexcusepunk » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:39 pm

robeduriv wrote:I'm thinking of posting a thread in the suggestion section where all members who don't care if AT3 gets an M tag in order for the complete JP content to go through, to gather up and each of us post our approval.

I don't care if the game get's an M rating.
I want them to keep their profit margin.
An M rating will not help this.

Mass Effect is a horrible example to use as it isn't even within the same tier as the AT series in how specific it's audience is.
"<Kana> can't you see how manly it is to hug kids to your crotch!?"

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:59 pm

noexcusepunk wrote:
robeduriv wrote:I'm thinking of posting a thread in the suggestion section where all members who don't care if AT3 gets an M tag in order for the complete JP content to go through, to gather up and each of us post our approval.

I don't care if the game get's an M rating.
I want them to keep their profit margin.
An M rating will not help this.

Mass Effect is a horrible example to use as it isn't even within the same tier as the AT series in how specific it's audience is.

I'm pretty sure their profit margin won't see a huge difference. These games pretty much thrive on word of mouth. Basically, us, the NISA fans, will play the game and be all astounded by it. Then, we tell other people how fun it is, and show them it. The rest is all up to the person.

I only got into NISA because my cousin was hyping me up about Disgaea, and let me know who the developers were : NIS. Because of this, I never recognized Atlus as the reason for Disgaea being so amazing. And the first time a blip about a NIS America popped up, I was all over their games. Though, my cousin kind of didn't remain a fan past Disgaea HoD.

So, slap on that M rating if that's what's needed to keep this game from having anything cut. They still have Rorona, which can easily pull a T, and keep everything. Not sure how totori would fare in that respect though...
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

noexcusepunk
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby noexcusepunk » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:03 pm

vampko wrote:I'm pretty sure their profit margin won't see a huge difference. These games pretty much thrive on word of mouth. Basically, us, the NISA fans, will play the game and be all astounded by it. Then, we tell other people how fun it is, and show them it. The rest is all up to the person.

I only got into NISA because my cousin was hyping me up about Disgaea, and let me know who the developers were : NIS. Because of this, I never recognized Atlus as the reason for Disgaea being so amazing. And the first time a blip about a NIS America popped up, I was all over their games. Though, my cousin kind of didn't remain a fan past Disgaea HoD.

So, slap on that M rating if that's what's needed to keep this game from having anything cut. They still have Rorona, which can easily pull a T, and keep everything. Not sure how totori would fare in that respect though...

Interesting. I was brought into NISA because I thought Mana Khemia was a pretty neat game. Purchased and played through everything I could get my hands on at that point.
I also used to be a store manager at Gamestop. This doesn't give me any special powers, only insight into the purchasing practices of teenagers and parents.
Parents generally pay attention to what their kids are playing, despite common held belief. A T rating WILL GENERATE SALES because of that, as well as assure that some sales will happen at all. It's as simple as that. Not letting the potential be there is indeed a limiting factor, and saying otherwise really doesn't make it so.
An M rating will bar people from being able to enjoy the game, based on those simple and previously well documented ideas.
Altering textures in a game usually doesn't detract from the overall experience of it as well. Especially for the instances of which we are referring to. Which include for the most part:
1) Story
2) Music
3) Battle Gameplay

If a deciding factor for anyone reading this is whether or not being able to see a little bit of bare skin is going to decide if this game is a purchase. Then your being a tad bit unreasonable, and obviously playing the wrong game.
18+ Check out the link to get your fill: Schoomate 2.

I would also argue that there is little chance this sort of game will even receive an M rating unless of overt sexual or extremely violent material.
From what I have heard and seen thus far, there is little to fear from either of those schools of thought it would seem.

For example:
Final Fantasy X-2.
Yuna Transformation
Sailor Moon The Game
Transformation Sequences

Both were able to keep things tasteful enough while keeping the creators original intention of the art to be shown, with little to no alterations made. With the only one glaring problem story-wise in Sailor Moon being that the depiction of Sailors Uranus and Neptune as cousins rather than lovers.
Both titles were brought over with a T rating.

However, I do agree that I wish for very few changes to be made. It's just that I also want this company to be around, so I can receive such games in the future as well.
If that means slight modifications that really aren't all that important, than so be it.
"<Kana> can't you see how manly it is to hug kids to your crotch!?"

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:44 am

magusgs wrote:From the otakuxgamer interview:

My best guess is that they are using single layer blu-ray (AT2 anyone?) and somehow the voice track is so huge that the entire game voiced in English wouldn't fit. Maybe it's all lossless or something, I don't know.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:30 am

noexcusepunk wrote:
vampko wrote:I'm pretty sure their profit margin won't see a huge difference. These games pretty much thrive on word of mouth. Basically, us, the NISA fans, will play the game and be all astounded by it. Then, we tell other people how fun it is, and show them it. The rest is all up to the person.

Interesting. I was brought into NISA because I thought Mana Khemia was a pretty neat game. Purchased and played through everything I could get my hands on at that point.
I also used to be a store manager at Gamestop. This doesn't give me any special powers, only insight into the purchasing practices of teenagers and parents.
Parents generally pay attention to what their kids are playing, despite common held belief. A T rating WILL GENERATE SALES because of that, as well as assure that some sales will happen at all. It's as simple as that. Not letting the potential be there is indeed a limiting factor, and saying otherwise really doesn't make it so.
An M rating will bar people from being able to enjoy the game, based on those simple and previously well documented ideas.
Altering textures in a game usually doesn't detract from the overall experience of it as well. Especially for the instances of which we are referring to. Which include for the most part:
1) Story
2) Music
3) Battle Gameplay

If a deciding factor for anyone reading this is whether or not being able to see a little bit of bare skin is going to decide if this game is a purchase. Then your being a tad bit unreasonable, and obviously playing the wrong game.

I would also argue that there is little chance this sort of game will even receive an M rating unless of overt sexual or extremely violent material.
From what I have heard and seen thus far, there is little to fear from either of those schools of thought it would seem.

For example:
Final Fantasy X-2.
Yuna Transformation
Sailor Moon The Game
Transformation Sequences

Both were able to keep things tasteful enough while keeping the creators original intention of the art to be shown, with little to no alterations made. With the only one glaring problem story-wise in Sailor Moon being that the depiction of Sailors Uranus and Neptune as cousins rather than lovers.

However, I do agree that I wish for very few changes to be made. It's just that I also want this company to be around, so I can receive such games in the future as well.
If that means slight modifications that really aren't all that important, than so be it.

The second we start saying 'little changes are okay', we can expect to start seeing more changes. I will still get the game, but I do not want NIS to start making changes like you suggested just to maintain a 'T' rating. Looks like the head of the project sees it as a game that won't really need an 'M' though, so I guess we don't have much to worry about. I haven't played it myself, so could we have the opinions of those who have on how ecchi this title really is?
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:32 am

In an interview with Siliconera about Trinity Universe, Nick was asked about full and partial dubs.

Siliconera wrote:Speaking of the dub, will it be a full dub or partial like Mana Khemia? (If so why?)

This is always a popular question and often the answer is vague. I’ll try to be a little less vague. Every localization project in every company comes with a budget. This is chopped up into segments and dispensed to different aspects of the localization effort. Voice acting gets a large chunk, but it’s almost impossible to match the Japanese dub in terms of volume. Trinity Universe is fully voiced in Japanese. That’s several tens of thousands of lines -– so while our dub is not “full,” it does contain voices for all major scenes and some select scenes the coordinator and I found particularly entertaining.

I'm guessing on something similar with Ar tonelico.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

robeduriv
Majin
Majin

Postby robeduriv » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:21 pm

noexcusepunk wrote:

1) Story
2) Music
3) Battle Gameplay

For example:
Final Fantasy X-2.
Yuna Transformation
Sailor Moon The Game
Transformation Sequences

Ok, I admit that it was rude of me to say the AT2 localization was half-assed but if you go to page 11 and check out prinny's sidekick post of the interview with the AT3 localization coordinator, even he admits that many mistakes were committed on that project and is aware that many fans were displeased like myself. I know a couple thousand people that did not purchase AT2 due to how incomplete it turned out.

I don't know if either the gamestop stores on the south operate very differently or if it's the current gaming generation but the gamestops in the northeast were I reside in only advertise the "hyped games" which are mainly shooters now. If you ask which RPG to recommend on purchasing for the PS3 I guarantee they will say Final Fantasy 13 right off the bat and maybe Star Ocean since that's published by Square Enix as well. Even before FF 13, they would not mention Valkyria Chronicles and would consider to purchase a 360 to get Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey or Tales of Vesperia.

I believe most current NISA PS3 titles are now purchased in the NISA store due to how the Trinity Universe Collection ran out of stock which is great news. This also makes me assume that most current NISA gamers are adults now any way so the M tag will not affect business. As mentioned before, Atlus is gaining rather than losing popularity with their M tagged titles because those fans are satisfied with the complete transition of content from the JP version to the US version.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:50 pm

The Persona series and the Ar Tonelico series attract two different types of gamer. Many Persona players would not want to have anything to do with an Ar Tonelico game (due to moral concerns or just embarassment). Many potential Ar Tonelico buyers would likely be turned off by an M rating, regardless of their age or the actual content. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Violent themes are socially acceptable these days in the US. Sexual themes are not. Just look at the success of games like Grand Theft Auto and compare that to the tiny audience for H-games. Sure, some of that is attributable to a general dislike towards games that aren't gameplay focused. But mostly, people get terribly embarrassed over such things. They don't want to be seen as the kind of loser who is into romance with cartoon characters. The acceptance of violent themes and the rejection of sexual themes is a social incongruence that's peculiarly American.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:03 am

magusgs wrote:The Persona series and the Ar Tonelico series attract two different types of gamer. Many Persona players would not want to have anything to do with an Ar Tonelico game (due to moral concerns or just embarassment). Many potential Ar Tonelico buyers would likely be turned off by an M rating, regardless of their age or the actual content. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Violent themes are socially acceptable these days in the US. Sexual themes are not. Just look at the success of games like Grand Theft Auto and compare that to the tiny audience for H-games. Sure, some of that is attributable to a general dislike towards games that aren't gameplay focused. But mostly, people get terribly embarrassed over such things. They don't want to be seen as the kind of loser who is into romance with cartoon characters. The acceptance of violent themes and the rejection of sexual themes is a social incongruence that's peculiarly American.

I'm American, and I couldn't care less that people know I like Loli-catgirls xD Everyone I know pretty much knows it by now. And I'm not ashamed at all to say that I like anime.
Spoiler:

robeduriv
Majin
Majin

Postby robeduriv » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:06 am

Exactly my point magusgs, why should NISA attempt to focus more on the current "casual" U.S. gamer than the smaller but sufficient number of NISA fans who are really the ones maintaining business. I am aware of how highly sensitive the U.S. audience is towards sexual themes compared to violence and that is why I think some bothersome protests might arise if AT3 remains with the T tag. I bet if a statistic is carried out involving 10 random U.S. parents from a grocery store and they view the "purging" system of the JP AT3, 9 out of 10 of them will misinterpret what's really going on and obviously find it offensive. Those of us who have been following the AT storyline understand that there is more to that feature than simply the characters losing part of their wardrobes. I'm American as well and got into this sort of Japanese media about a decade ago when I was 12 and fully understood the boundary between fantasy and reality by then. Of course, most likely only a few U.S. teenagers develop this mature mindedness early just as a few teenagers develop a mature physical body early and appear as if they are 20 when they really are only 15.

Back on topic, all I'm saying is that I don't think the M tag will have a negative effect on AT3 sales and am confident most present AT fans will not mind so long as that prevents the U.S. version of AT3 to turn out incomplete as what happened to AT2 which there's no denying that fact. I'm about to open a thread in the NISA feedback section concerning the AT3 rating for those of us that don't mind the M tag on AT3 to post their approval. I can gather up about 20,000 members who will post their approval but that won't be high enough and we'll have to spread the word out. I recommend gathering AT fans from other forums, youtube or twitter videos if you already have a channel and are not camera shy, or any other possible way you can think of and tell them to register to the NISA forum and post their approval on that certain thread. This will also help NISA to get an estimate on how many consumers will purchase AT3 on release day and arrange preorder bonuses more effectively.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:56 pm

robeduriv wrote:Exactly my point magusgs, why should NISA attempt to focus more on the current "casual" U.S. gamer than the smaller but sufficient number of NISA fans who are really the ones maintaining business. I am aware of how highly sensitive the U.S. audience is towards sexual themes compared to violence and that is why I think some bothersome protests might arise if AT3 remains with the T tag. I bet if a statistic is carried out involving 10 random U.S. parents from a grocery store and they view the "purging" system of the JP AT3, 9 out of 10 of them will misinterpret what's really going on and obviously find it offensive. Those of us who have been following the AT storyline understand that there is more to that feature than simply the characters losing part of their wardrobes. I'm American as well and got into this sort of Japanese media about a decade ago when I was 12 and fully understood the boundary between fantasy and reality by then. Of course, most likely only a few U.S. teenagers develop this mature mindedness early just as a few teenagers develop a mature physical body early and appear as if they are 20 when they really are only 15.

Back on topic, all I'm saying is that I don't think the M tag will have a negative effect on AT3 sales and am confident most present AT fans will not mind so long as that prevents the U.S. version of AT3 to turn out incomplete as what happened to AT2 which there's no denying that fact. I'm about to open a thread in the NISA feedback section concerning the AT3 rating for those of us that don't mind the M tag on AT3 to post their approval. I can gather up about 20,000 members who will post their approval but that won't be high enough and we'll have to spread the word out. I recommend gathering AT fans from other forums, youtube or twitter videos if you already have a channel and are not camera shy, or any other possible way you can think of and tell them to register to the NISA forum and post their approval on that certain thread. This will also help NISA to get an estimate on how many consumers will purchase AT3 on release day and arrange preorder bonuses more effectively.

I will post on that thread if you make it for sure.
Spoiler:

Return to “Ar Tonelico Series”