Will Ar Tonelico III have Japanese voices with Eng subs?

The official forums for all things Ar Tonelico
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Will Ar Tonelico III have Japanese voices with Eng subs?

Postby vampko » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:48 pm

LAMV wrote:Oh come on. That whole memory issue thing has to be baloney, it's a freakin' blu-ray, they have plenty of room. Doesn't Resonance of Fate have a billion languages on it? And I think Lost Odyssey on 360, anyway. I think the "memory issues" is an excuse for some other reason they can't/won't tell us about. But what?

I don't recall them outright stating that memory issues are why they don't do a full dub on both ends. I'm guessing money is the most likely culprit.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

vampko wrote:
LAMV wrote:Oh come on. That whole memory issue thing has to be baloney, it's a freakin' blu-ray, they have plenty of room. Doesn't Resonance of Fate have a billion languages on it? And I think Lost Odyssey on 360, anyway. I think the "memory issues" is an excuse for some other reason they can't/won't tell us about. But what?

I don't recall them outright stating that memory issues are why they don't do a full dub on both ends. I'm guessing money is the most likely culprit.

In the interview snippet above, memory issues is given as a reason, along with other reasons.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:27 pm

"Memory issues" could be interpreted as "technical issues we don't have the resources / time / money to fix". I suppose their default implementation of dual audio could be poor, causing an undue burden on system resources (e.g., large chunks of both tracks are loaded into memory simultaneously). I'm sure Solice could comment on this more authoritatively than I could (and indeed, already has). I have enough experience working with bad programs to know that a bad program is capable of consuming infinite resources. Just play a TeaTime game and you'll see what I mean.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Indeed, the 'memory' they're referring to could very well be more of a 'ram' kind of memory. It's not necessarily space-related issues. It might have something to do with GUST really.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:35 pm

vampko wrote:Indeed, the 'memory' they're referring to could very well be more of a 'ram' kind of memory. It's not necessarily space-related issues. It might have something to do with GUST really.
RAM would not affect the language used.

I think they meant space like AT2, though Blu-ray is nice that you can throw the JP audio on without an issue.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:46 pm

betaflame wrote:
vampko wrote:Indeed, the 'memory' they're referring to could very well be more of a 'ram' kind of memory. It's not necessarily space-related issues. It might have something to do with GUST really.

I think they meant space like AT2, though Blu-ray is nice that you can throw the JP audio on without an issue.

You'd be surprised what putting another language track on there could do to a game...
Spoiler:

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:36 pm

vampko wrote:
betaflame wrote:

You'd be surprised what putting another language track on there could do to a game...
No I wouldn't, it increases storage space used (not RAM) and that's assuming they used the same codec and bitrate.

Switching audio tracks just tells the game engine to use a different (audio) file table/index.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:48 pm

betaflame wrote:
vampko wrote:
betaflame wrote:RAM would not affect the language used.

No I wouldn't, it increases storage space used (not RAM) and that's assuming they used the same codec and bitrate.

Switching audio tracks just tells the game engine to use a different (audio) file table/index.

You talk like you have experience with this stuff. And even if you do, GUST may program in such a way that it could cause problems. That's all I'm saying. Neither of us know how GUST codes their stuff. Also, I'm not saying this for no reason. Play Atelier Rorona. Use the EN track, play around with it. Then, switch to the JP track, and you will notice the game runs differently. Not super differently, but it's noticeable.
Spoiler:

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:37 pm

vampko wrote:
betaflame wrote:
vampko wrote:You'd be surprised what putting another language track on there could do to a game...

You talk like you have experience with this stuff. And even if you do, GUST may program in such a way that it could cause problems. That's all I'm saying. Neither of us know how GUST codes their stuff. Also, I'm not saying this for no reason. Play Atelier Rorona. Use the EN track, play around with it. Then, switch to the JP track, and you will notice the game runs differently. Not super differently, but it's noticeable.
You mean the audible disk seek and super small delay when someone speaks? (for reference this is from the PS2 games, I have only played the beginning of rorona and do not have time to experiment)

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:07 pm

betaflame wrote:
vampko wrote:You talk like you have experience with this stuff. And even if you do, GUST may program in such a way that it could cause problems. That's all I'm saying. Neither of us know how GUST codes their stuff. Also, I'm not saying this for no reason. Play Atelier Rorona. Use the EN track, play around with it. Then, switch to the JP track, and you will notice the game runs differently. Not super differently, but it's noticeable.
You mean the audible disk seek and super small delay when someone speaks? (for reference this is from the PS2 games, I have only played the beginning of rorona and do not have time to experiment)

No, it's something else. And you don't need to play far to notice.
Spoiler:

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:49 pm

vampko wrote:
betaflame wrote:
vampko wrote:You talk like you have experience with this stuff. And even if you do, GUST may program in such a way that it could cause problems. That's all I'm saying. Neither of us know how GUST codes their stuff. Also, I'm not saying this for no reason. Play Atelier Rorona. Use the EN track, play around with it. Then, switch to the JP track, and you will notice the game runs differently. Not super differently, but it's noticeable.

My PS3 is not hooked up, what is the difference?

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:25 pm

betaflame wrote:
vampko wrote:
betaflame wrote:You mean the audible disk seek and super small delay when someone speaks? (for reference this is from the PS2 games, I have only played the beginning of rorona and do not have time to experiment)

Sore wa...hi.mi.tsu ♪
Spoiler:

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 pm

vampko wrote:
betaflame wrote:
vampko wrote:No, it's something else. And you don't need to play far to notice.

Sore wa...hi.mi.tsu ♪
Then my point still stands, RAM usage is not affected by the language you are using.

(And to answer the earlier question yes I do program)

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 am

A recent interview with NISA revealed that Hyperdimension: Neptunia will have a full dub: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/17/si ... qa-part-1/
How much did we dub into English? Well, well, well… we fully dubbed the main game with a few minor exceptions. A system voice was left in Japanese intentionally and an add-on from when Idea Factory updated the game in Japan to match the version NA/PAL will get (more on that later), “5pb’s Hi-Five Radio,” wasn’t recorded in English. The radio is available upon the game’s release, but it was added later in Japan. Therefore, I submit that yes, the game is fully dubbed compared to the Japanese original release!

I think this tends to support the conclusion that the issues with Ar Tonelico 3 are technical rather than financial, as the AT3 interview claims. This again raises the perplexing question of just how a full dub track could run up against "memory issues".
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

zatrox
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby zatrox » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:11 pm

magusgs wrote:A recent interview with NISA revealed that Hyperdimension: Neptunia will have a full dub: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/17/si ... qa-part-1/
How much did we dub into English? Well, well, well… we fully dubbed the main game with a few minor exceptions. A system voice was left in Japanese intentionally and an add-on from when Idea Factory updated the game in Japan to match the version NA/PAL will get (more on that later), “5pb’s Hi-Five Radio,” wasn’t recorded in English. The radio is available upon the game’s release, but it was added later in Japan. Therefore, I submit that yes, the game is fully dubbed compared to the Japanese original release!

I think this tends to support the conclusion that the issues with Ar Tonelico 3 are technical rather than financial, as the AT3 interview claims. This again raises the perplexing question of just how a full dub track could run up against "memory issues".

Well, you have to consider that a game like Ar tonelico also has more lines than Neptunia. A lot more, I believe.

At the end of the day, full-dubbing a game like Ar Tonelico with all the cosmospheres and such would be quite pricey. I think.

It's just an assumption, based on what I've seen of Neptunia and comparing it to the AT games I've played.
四百二儒十燃やせ
[21:15:19] <zatrox> what the fuck is wrong with you, vampko
[21:15:23] <CirnoThe9> EVERYTHING

Return to “Ar Tonelico Series”