Will Ar Tonelico III have Japanese voices with Eng subs?

The official forums for all things Ar Tonelico
Majin3
Vassal
Vassal

Re: Will Ar Tonelico III have Japanese voices with Eng subs?

Postby Majin3 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah, there's often some dummy data lying around in japanese releases.
You can be sure I'll compare both versions once it's released, though.

TheEnd
Vassal
Vassal

Postby TheEnd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:56 am

So, we're getting the full Jpn voicing? We better. They can cut out Eng audio as much as they want, but they best not touch/remove the Jpn audio.

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:20 am

TheEnd wrote:So, we're getting the full Jpn voicing? We better. They can cut out Eng audio as much as they want, but they best not touch/remove the Jpn audio.

They confirmed it months ago that there will be full JPN voice acting, and have kept their word on it. Whatever was voiced in the Japanese release is included in the English version. Many scenes were not voiced in the Japanese version, so don't worry about those scenes. You'll get your full Japanese voice acting with the partially English dub.

The English dub is just an added bonus since some people like to listen to their games in the English dub voiceover format while others prefer the original voices. Plus since it's dual audio, some people like me listen to the game in both languages.

Sawa
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Sawa » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Ar Tonelico wrote:
TheEnd wrote:So, we're getting the full Jpn voicing? We better. They can cut out Eng audio as much as they want, but they best not touch/remove the Jpn audio.

They confirmed it months ago that there will be full JPN voice acting, and have kept their word on it. Whatever was voiced in the Japanese release is included in the English version. Many scenes were not voiced in the Japanese version, so don't worry about those scenes. You'll get your full Japanese voice acting with the partially English dub.

The English dub is just an added bonus since some people like to listen to their games in the English dub voiceover format while others prefer the original voices. Plus since it's dual audio, some people like me listen to the game in both languages.

I also like to listen to the games in both languages sometimes when the english dub is really good its hard to choose lol.
Patiently waiting~

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:42 pm

I listened to the first two games in English, so... ^^ May as well keep going.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

TheNecromancer
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby TheNecromancer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:29 am

I'm glad you think you're more important then us Eng fans out there. :evil: The money i pay for this game costs just as much as it does for you, and those of us whose first language is English deserve a little more respect then that attitude.

But this really isn't about the game though, is it....it's about you and what you deserve... ;)

It's posters like this that make me embarrassed for gamers with this mentality. :(
Favorite ATQ tracks
EXEC_Z/.
M*S*G*Y*E*C
Tale of the Game
Pan of Age
Meld~Finnel

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:13 am

TheNecromancer wrote:

I'm glad you think you're more important then us Eng fans out there. :evil: The money i pay for this game costs just as much as it does for you, and those of us whose first language is English deserve a little more respect then that attitude.

But this really isn't about the game though, is it....it's about you and what you deserve... ;)

It's posters like this that make me embarrassed for gamers with this mentality. :(

The majority of people who prefer English subs to English dubs (for video or games originating in Japan) don't speak Japanese. It has nothing to do with being a native English speaker or not.
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Sawa
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Sawa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:06 am

magusgs wrote:
TheNecromancer wrote:

The majority of people who prefer English subs to English dubs (for video or games originating in Japan) don't speak Japanese. It has nothing to do with being a native English speaker or not.

Thats tru i do not speak japanese and i perfer all my anime and games to be english subs with original japanese voice.
Patiently waiting~

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:20 pm

magusgs wrote:
TheNecromancer wrote:

This is pretty much truth.

I think I'm gonna stick with Japanese for this, as I played all the others in Japanese.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

leinaud
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby leinaud » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:18 pm

I usually play the entire game once with Japanese VAs then again (going a different Reyvatail's route this time) using the English VAs. Best of both worlds imo.

Awaking in 2014...

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:34 pm

leinaud wrote:I usually play the entire game once with Japanese VAs then again (going a different Reyvatail's route this time) using the English VAs. Best of both worlds imo.

I will probably do this as well. As that's what I've been doing with every NISA game of late.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Sawa
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Sawa » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:42 pm

vampko wrote:
leinaud wrote:I usually play the entire game once with Japanese VAs then again (going a different Reyvatail's route this time) using the English VAs. Best of both worlds imo.

I will probably do this as well. As that's what I've been doing with every NISA game of late.

It will be the same route for me also.
Patiently waiting~

leinaud
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby leinaud » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 am

Sawa wrote:
vampko wrote:

It will be the same route for me also.

I see what you did there...

Awaking in 2014...

Majin3
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Majin3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:24 am

Finally got the english version today.

As promised, I compared it to the japanese one a bit and unfortunately it's exactly what I expected.
Here are some facts:
The japanese movie folder is 15,2GB
The english movie folder 13,7GB (the english audio is there as well)

The japanese voices folder is 1,7GB
The english voices folder is 1,14GB
An additional voice\us folder is there with 0,7GB (so about 60% of japanese-voiced events should have english audio)

The japanese version is 22,8GB, the english one 21,2GB.

And to summarize everything:
The english version has lower quality movies (only some of them though) and lower quality voices. SFX and BGM have the same quality.
I only checked those few folders but I doubt there's anything else.

magusgs
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby magusgs » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:23 am

Majin3 wrote:Finally got the english version today.

As promised, I compared it to the japanese one a bit and unfortunately it's exactly what I expected.
Here are some facts:
The japanese movie folder is 15,2GB
The english movie folder 13,7GB (the english audio is there as well)

The japanese voices folder is 1,7GB
The english voices folder is 1,14GB
An additional voice\us folder is there with 0,7GB (so about 60% of japanese-voiced events should have english audio)

The japanese version is 22,8GB, the english one 21,2GB.

And to summarize everything:
The english version has lower quality movies (only some of them though) and lower quality voices. SFX and BGM have the same quality.
I only checked those few folders but I doubt there's anything else.

More importantly--is the quality drop noticeable? If not, then there's no problem. But jebus, 15GB of movies? That's ridiculous. 300MB is sufficient for 25min of nice quality video. That makes me think that lowering the encode quality a bit would have no noticeable impact on the visual experience. I don't really understand why the voice files would need to be compressed, though, other than the aforementioned "memory issues".
Sanahtlig's Corner: my personal blog focused on visual novels
Philosophical musings, argumentative squabbles, and fictional works. Also occasional rants about VN localization.

Return to “Ar Tonelico Series”