First time playing; Q's about Diving, CS's, and endings

The official forums for all things Ar Tonelico
LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

First time playing; Q's about Diving, CS's, and endings

Postby LAMV » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:43 pm

So I finally am playing the Ar Tonelico series. I'm prepping myself for Ar Tonelico 3. I'm starting with the first entry in the series, and will play the second when I'm done with the first. So far I'm enjoying it. I have Dived for the first time in my latest gaming session (required for the story). Now that I've seen the Cosmosphere system for myself, I have some questions so I'll know what I'm getting into.

1. I hear that if you've passed a certain level in the Cosmosphere, you are locked into that Reyvateil's ending. What Cosmosphere Level do you get sealed into the Reyvateil's ending in Ar Tonelico 1?

2. I realize there's a certain point in the game where you're asked who do you want to protect, Misha or Aurica. If you choose one, you're locked out of the other's ending, right? Also, what happens if I progress too far into someone's Cosmosphere before the big decision?

3. Are there missable Talk Topics? You know, the white sparkles found on the field. Is it possible to find them all simply by progressing through the game (i.e. no having to backtrack every time the plot progresses)? I don't want to have to run around every single place for every bit of plot progression just because I'm aware I'm missing something. Especially when I need Talk Topics to progress further into the Cosmosphere.

4. When you gain Dive Points after a battle, does every Reyvateil earn them or does only the Reyvateil that fought in battle earn them (i.e. if Misha and Aurica are around they'll both gain DP even if you only used Misha; OR only Misha gets DP and Aurica gets none)?

5. How different is Ar Tonelico 2 concerning the above four points?

aquagon
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Re: First time playing; Q's about Diving, CS's, and endings

Postby aquagon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:25 pm

1) None. The Cosmosphere lock was first implemented in Ar tonelico 2.

2) The choice effectively locks you out from the ending of the girl you don't choose, and no, nothing happens if you advance a lot before the decision (since anyway, the game doesn't allow you to trigger Talk Topics for Lv. 6 and onwards before the decision).

3) A lot of them are missable, and a good part are mutually exclusive due to their trigger conditions, or because of being exclusive to an specific route.

4) All of the Reyvateils in your current party gain DP, no matter if they weren't in the active battle formation.

5) Except for having a Cosmosphere lock at Lv. 5 for all of the Heroines, every other things is pretty much the same between both games when it comes to Diving.

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:35 pm

In the second game I think only the two (or one depending what point you're at in the game) Reyvateils in the battle party get DP points unlike the first game.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:54 pm

aquagon wrote:stuff

Oh, okay, so it's just Ar Tonelico 2 that has the Cosmosphere lock-out thing. So, in Ar Tonelico 1, I can safely dive into every Reyvateil and max them out without getting locked into their ending? Okay, that's useful to know.

Sucks about the Talk Topics thing. I can either backtrack every single bit of plot progression, or just don't worry about them and find them as I go along. I don't like to miss anything, but at the same time I don't want to waste time and I want to go ahead with the plot. Hm.

shymel94 wrote:In the second game I think only the two (or one depending what point you're at in the game) Reyvateils in the battle party get DP points unlike the first game.

If that's true, then that blows. I hate having to switch around people just to level them (and in Reyvateil's case, gain DP), especially if it makes those still in the battle party overleveled.

aquagon
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby aquagon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:00 pm

LAMV wrote:
aquagon wrote:stuff

Oh, okay, so it's just Ar Tonelico 2 that has the Cosmosphere lock-out thing. So, in Ar Tonelico 1, I can safely dive into every Reyvateil and max them out without getting locked into their ending? Okay, that's useful to know.

Sucks about the Talk Topics thing. I can either backtrack every single bit of plot progression, or just don't worry about them and find them as I go along. I don't like to miss anything, but at the same time I don't want to waste time and I want to go ahead with the plot. Hm.

You could also read the Talk Topic Guide that both me and thundecloud82 made whenever you want to see what they contain. It covers all of the talk topics in the game, and has transcripts of all of them.

And by the way, from what I have read, Ar tonelico 3 does have a Cosmosphere lock too, but it triggers later than on Ar tonelico 2 (at Lv. 8).

LAMV wrote:
shymel94 wrote:In the second game I think only the two (or one depending what point you're at in the game) Reyvateils in the battle party get DP points unlike the first game.

If that's true, then that blows. I hate having to switch around people just to level them (and in Reyvateil's case, gain DP), especially if it makes those still in the battle party overleveled.

Hmm, I remember all of the Reyvateils getting DP in At2, although I could be mistaken.

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Also to note, Ar tonelico III's endings are measured by the hearts. There are 3 times when it will say if you want to protect Saki or Finnel, and whoever has 3 hearts, you'll be locked to either their Normal ending or True Ending depending if you can defeat MYU(1st time) within the time limit or not and the choice you make after some gameplay later to either choose to stop Saki's song or not(if you should fail that battle and make the wrong choice, you can get a Bad end). If you happen to choose like Saki to protect but then choose Finnel, then you can only get Tilia's Normal or True End depending on a decision you make after completing her Binary Game Cosmosphere and with Cocona it's just don't get the 1 heart for Tilia. DP I believe is only based on if you had that Reyvateil in battle(can only use 1 in battle including only 1 personality but the DP does transfer to that Reyvateil the personality is for).

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:21 pm

aquagon wrote:You could also read the Talk Topic Guide that both me and thundecloud82 made whenever you want to see what they contain. It covers all of the talk topics in the game, and has transcripts of all of them.

And by the way, from what I have read, Ar tonelico 3 does have a Cosmosphere lock too, but it triggers later than on Ar tonelico 2 (at Lv. 8).

The lock in the Cosmospheres in Ar tonelico III is on level 8, but do believe that you have to not be on their route to begin with(can only access level 8 and 9 on a True ending). So you can still like say reach Finnel's Cosmosphere level 8, but if Saki has all 3 hearts, only she can go up to level 9. You can still go into level 8 for Finnel in that situation, but won't be able to finish it.

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Ar Tonelico wrote:Also to note, Ar tonelico III's endings are measured by the hearts. There are 3 times when it will say if you want to protect Saki or Finnel, and whoever has 3 hearts, you'll be locked to either their Normal ending or True Ending depending if you can defeat MYU(1st time) within the time limit or not and the choice you make after some gameplay later to either choose to stop Saki's song or not(if you should fail that battle and make the wrong choice, you can get a Bad end). If you happen to choose like Saki to protect but then choose Finnel, then you can only get Tilia's Normal or True End depending on a decision you make after completing her Binary Game Cosmosphere and with Cocona it's just don't get the 1 heart for Tilia.

Hmm. So basically you're saying if I want to get Saki's end, I have to choose to protect her 3 times in a row?

leinaud
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby leinaud » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:08 pm

to add to what aquagon said, there are some GREAT guides over on GameFaqs.com that I used to complete AT1. A big thanks to the authors!! Because there are a LOT of talk topics you can miss as well as some extra songs and such. I was so proud to completely finish AT1 (get all the pics, topics, cads possible, etc.) and then when I played AT2 and saved my game data...it decided to WIPE OUT MY ENTIRE AT1 GAME SAVES *is so pissed* :x

so a note to all those playing these games on your PS3, back-up your game saves onto a memory stick. *sigh*

Awaking in 2014...

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:12 pm

LAMV wrote:
Ar Tonelico wrote:Also to note, Ar tonelico III's endings are measured by the hearts. There are 3 times when it will say if you want to protect Saki or Finnel, and whoever has 3 hearts, you'll be locked to either their Normal ending or True Ending depending if you can defeat MYU(1st time) within the time limit or not and the choice you make after some gameplay later to either choose to stop Saki's song or not(if you should fail that battle and make the wrong choice, you can get a Bad end). If you happen to choose like Saki to protect but then choose Finnel, then you can only get Tilia's Normal or True End depending on a decision you make after completing her Binary Game Cosmosphere and with Cocona it's just don't get the 1 heart for Tilia.

Hmm. So basically you're saying if I want to get Saki's end, I have to choose to protect her 3 times in a row?

Yup just choose Saki all 3 times and the story changes each time you make that decision and you'll head closer to their ending. If you want Finnel, then choose her all 3 times. If you don't want either, just do a mix and match with them both to get Tilia or Cocona since Tilia is mostly only a character that only appears in Phase 4(the final Phase of the story which can only be accessed if going for a True end unless you make a decision with Tilia that can lead to her Normal end).

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Interesting.

Do any of the Ar Tonelico games have a New Game+? I know a good saving spot is the Big Decision in AT1 and AT2, but if I'm going to go through the game again with whatever heroine I didn't choose the first time around, I still would like all my equipment and levels retained via NG+ (if I continue from the save I'll be at the same power as I was on first playthrough, so it would still take long to complete the story).

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:43 pm

LAMV wrote:Interesting.

Do any of the Ar Tonelico games have a New Game+? I know a good saving spot is the Big Decision in AT1 and AT2, but if I'm going to go through the game again with whatever heroine I didn't choose the first time around, I still would like all my equipment and levels retained via NG+ (if I continue from the save I'll be at the same power as I was on first playthrough, so it would still take long to complete the story).

Well I know Ar tonelico III's New Game + is keeping the current level you were in when you beat the game(so if you leveled up your characters all the way to level 99, they will be at level 99 when you start a new game), and also your money and DP stays intact. But equipment and other items go away.

aquagon
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby aquagon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:13 pm

And Ar tonelico 1 and 2 don't have any kind of NG+, although the Extras menu updates itself whenever you save after finding something new, after it has been unlocked.

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 pm

No New Game+ in AT 1 & 2, huh? I guess it took until 3 for Gust to learn that no JRPG should go without New Game+ these days.

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:00 am

Iiii'm back, and I got some new questions.

1. I heard that if you do not complete Shurelia's cosmosphere you get an "incomplete ending." Is that true?

2. Assuming #1 is true, I also heard from an FAQ that you have to complete it "before finishing the last side quest." What does it mean by that? Is there really a time limit to before I should finish Shurelia? I don't want to progress too much (partly to fight as I progress so as to get the costume talk topics/earn DP for Shurelia, so I wouldn't get bored just running around in one place grinding instead) and end up screwing something up.

3. Do I get anything extra if I get 100% Conversations Achieved for the Reyvateils? Because I screwed up and permanently missed out on some Talk Topics; I had no idea that advancing to Shurelia's cosmosphere Level 2 just locked me out of like 5-10 talk topics I didn't see until I read the faq. And apparently it'll happen again in a later level. What the hell, Gust? Anyway, the important question is, does anything happen if I get every Talk Topic?

Return to “Ar Tonelico Series”