Do I need to play the previous titles?

The official forums for all things Ar Tonelico
Shadow of Death
Majin
Majin

Do I need to play the previous titles?

Postby Shadow of Death » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm a sucker for pre-orders, especially with artbooks and whatnot. Game looks alright too.

Wondering how important the previous games are, when it comes to playing the new one though.
|- Etna Fanboy | Disgaea Fanatic |- Dood -| Anime Fan| Prinny 'Sploder -|
|-| Join the Unofficial NISAmerica Steam Group |-|
/ | | \ Support Disgaea Mousepads Proposal / | | \

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Do I need to play the previous titles?

Postby Rednal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:07 pm

You don't have to, but it'll help you understand more of the story, and what's going on in that world. I would play them first, certainly, if at all possible.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:09 pm

I don't know squat about Ar Tonelico. I'm learning all first hand.

Overlord - Laharl
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Overlord - Laharl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:18 pm

I am also new to the game and these boards

shymel94
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shymel94 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Rednal wrote:You don't have to, but it'll help you understand more of the story, and what's going on in that world. I would play them first, certainly, if at all possible.

Not only does playing the first two help with understanding the story, but some characters from the two previous games show up as well.
3DS FC: 2148-8629-2994
PSN ID: sheena1278
Wii U FC: shy_mel

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:13 pm

You have a month and a half, I would strongly suggest playing the first two (they are good games too).

Kari
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Kari » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:53 pm

AT3 was made in the mindset that you don't need to play the older games for full enjoyment. This is also reflected in the US title.

That said there's characters from the other two games in this one, and stuff referenced. So if you can get the games and have time to play them, why not? AT1 is a pretty standard RPG, 2 is a bit more polished in terms of gameplay but worse in translation.
Lovebar by Rarutos

exia
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby exia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:56 am

Starting playing the first 1, then moving to the second one. I want to get the best possible experience with qoga so this is the ideal way. Anyoone know how long the first and second games are? 1 got a month at least, but I wana gauge my time. Plus Neptunia is coming so I gotta toss that into the mix.

leinaud
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby leinaud » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:03 am

lol well so far i think that the second is a lot longer to do a full complete than the first one. I am already at around 45 hours on one of the reyvateil's storyline and just entered phase 4 and will pretty much have to sink the same amount into the other storyline. (but i am a completionist and going to get all the cosmospheres and talk topics, etc etc.)

Awaking in 2014...

Shadow of Death
Majin
Majin

Postby Shadow of Death » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 am

Unfortunately, the copies I've seen retail for like $50 Canadian, so it's not really logical for me. I MIIIIIGHT get them if I end up loving this one though (yes, I did buy it XD).

Kari
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Kari » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:02 pm

exia wrote:Starting playing the first 1, then moving to the second one. I want to get the best possible experience with qoga so this is the ideal way. Anyoone know how long the first and second games are? 1 got a month at least, but I wana gauge my time. Plus Neptunia is coming so I gotta toss that into the mix.

AT1 was about 40-45 hours for me, doing all the endings possible on the path I took. AT2 was 60 the first time, 65 the second. Probably took longer the second time cause I was actually reading the text since it was in English, and spending more time getting talk topics and such...I did all the sidequests in both runs though.

In comparison, I finished AT3 (Japanese version of course :P) in 35 hours for the true ending.
Lovebar by Rarutos

sparkly_mangos
Vassal
Vassal

Postby sparkly_mangos » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:44 am

I'm on a similar boat as you, though I was able to get my hands on the the first one and finish it over the summer! I think for the second one (I also don't want to spend the extra money!) I may just read about it, and then play the third. But as others have said, it's your choice really, and you can always go back and play them later! =D

GenjoSenpai
Majin
Majin

Postby GenjoSenpai » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:29 am

lol well i have play only AT1 beat few chap but never got to the ending BUT i did manage to find few vids of the endings lol now i need to work on AT2 ( still have NOT open it since i buy it lol ) i pretty sure i still will enjoy AT 3 my friend going to get it as a birthday gift since i might not able to get it. had to pick between neptune or AR tonelico 3 which is not hard to pick lol HANDs down AR Tonelico 3 for me xD i will pick up Neptune later on.

Ar Tonelico
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Ar Tonelico » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:16 am

sparkly_mangos wrote:I'm on a similar boat as you, though I was able to get my hands on the the first one and finish it over the summer! I think for the second one (I also don't want to spend the extra money!) I may just read about it, and then play the third. But as others have said, it's your choice really, and you can always go back and play them later! =D

To me the 2nd game was my favorite in the series.

Shadow of Death
Majin
Majin

Postby Shadow of Death » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:26 am

Well, I found both of them on Ebay....The second one is used, first one is new....

Blah, I paid a fair amount for them too, so I hope I like them >_> 'Course, I purchased 3 without known whether I'd like it or not, so yeah XD

Return to “Ar Tonelico Series”