New to Ar Tonelico

The official forums for all things Ar Tonelico
Aphrah
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

New to Ar Tonelico

Postby Aphrah » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Hello peeps,
I've been watching trailers and vids and I have to say that I've grown to like the art style and music (ar tonelico qoga). I've also heard people drawing comparsions to Star Ocean's combat system, which I had tons of fun with. I've found I & II for reasonable prices from trustable sellers on eBay so I'll probably start with them.
I have some questions regarding the Ar Tonelico games;

1. Do all 3 games have a definite end? (Or are you allowed to roam post end game?)
2. I'd like to get the limited edition of qoga w/ the calandar but would I be better off getting a PAL edition (living in the EU, bah) for the DLC?
3. Are there official OSTs for each game?

Thanks in advance :D
Sorry if these questions have been asked before D:

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: New to Ar Tonelico

Postby CelticRedemption » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Aphrah wrote:Hello peeps,
I've been watching trailers and vids and I have to say that I've grown to like the art style and music (ar tonelico qoga). I've also heard people drawing comparsions to Star Ocean's combat system, which I had tons of fun with. I've found I & II for reasonable prices from trustable sellers on eBay so I'll probably start with them.
I have some questions regarding the Ar Tonelico games;

1. Do all 3 games have a definite end? (Or are you allowed to roam post end game?)
2. I'd like to get the limited edition of qoga w/ the calandar but would I be better off getting a PAL edition (living in the EU, bah) for the DLC?
3. Are there official OSTs for each game?

Thanks in advance :D
Sorry if these questions have been asked before D:

well you'd only need to create an american account to get the american DLC, and buy a PSN 20 dollar card or something somewhere to be able to buy the DLC... So it's your call =O

1. They all end when they end, no post-game. But you can basically go everywhere from the last save in the first two games ( not in the third, it has a point of no return )
2. already answered
3. Yes, lots of OSTs
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
[20:25] <Solice> hey, sailor tenshi... blow or squirt?
[20:26] <Kana> ....what

Seicia
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Seicia » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:06 pm

CelticRedemption wrote:1. They all end when they end, no post-game. But you can basically go everywhere from the last save in the first two games ( not in the third, it has a point of no return )

Though it does advise you to save on a new file once you reach the point of no return, so if you do that you can play from the point before that.

And everything you get after you beat the game once automatically shows up in the extras.

Aphrah
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aphrah » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Seicia wrote:
CelticRedemption wrote:1. They all end when they end, no post-game. But you can basically go everywhere from the last save in the first two games ( not in the third, it has a point of no return )

Though it does advise you to save on a new file once you reach the point of no return, so if you do that you can play from the point before that.

And everything you get after you beat the game once automatically shows up in the extras.

Thanks for the answers.
Hmm, buying a 20$ NA PSN card could work 8-) I've done it for JP PSN before.
Good to know its a last save before final boss type of thing and that the point of no return in Qoga doesn't wack you in the face ala Mass Effect 2 (Comes without any warning whatsoever)

Oh and one last question, regarding the romances; Can you romance any reyvateil or just the main ones :3?

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:38 pm

If they sing Hymns in battle, you can romance them. Obviously, you can't date all the NPC Reyvateils running around. :lol: That would be insane. If awesome.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Rednal wrote:If they sing Hymns in battle, you can romance them. Obviously, you can't date all the NPC Reyvateils running around. :lol: That would be insane. If awesome.

Oh man... imagine that... In Ar tonelico 2

that would bring a whole new meaning to "collecting all IPDs"
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Aphrah
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aphrah » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:12 pm

That'd be crazy, but super awesome XD
It seems there's a large enough variety of options.. Are all of the romances fleshed out? or are some better than others?
Damn insomnia keeping me up

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Aphrah wrote:That'd be crazy, but super awesome XD
It seems there's a large enough variety of options.. Are all of the romances fleshed out? or are some better than others?

Well I definitely have personal favorites. Some think the third reyvateil in Ar tonelico 1 got less attention and less development, which makes sense I guess, since you can only opt for her when you could also make the game end with one of the other 2 heroines.
In 2... I can't say, since I didn't get all endings. I ended up HATING one of the girls and was glad for the option of the third reyvateil, that I now still consider the best choice of the entire series.
Third game... Yeah, all romances are good, with the slight exception of the ??????-Ending which seems to stand out a bit as not belonging in there, to me at least.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:53 pm

CelticRedemption wrote:
Aphrah wrote:That'd be crazy, but super awesome XD

Well I definitely have personal favorites. Some think the third reyvateil in Ar tonelico 1 got less attention and less development, which makes sense I guess, since you can only opt for her when you could also make the game end with one of the other 2 heroines.
In 2... I can't say, since I didn't get all endings. I ended up HATING one of the girls and was glad for the option of the third reyvateil, that I now still consider the best choice of the entire series.
Third game... Yeah, all romances are good, with the slight exception of the ??????-Ending which seems to stand out a bit as not belonging in there, to me at least.

Would that be the
Spoiler:
cocona
ending? (GOSH I hate the idea of this..>_<)

I personally think that Aoto was pretty shoehorned into being with
Spoiler:
saki
. Outside of the Cosmosphere, he pays MUCH more attention to her than the other girl. It's okay though, I have my own idea of who that girl should go with ~
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Seicia
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Seicia » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:03 pm

vampko wrote:I personally think that Aoto was pretty shoehorned into being with
Spoiler:
saki
. Outside of the Cosmosphere, he pays MUCH more attention to her than the other girl.

I'd have to agree with that. Even though she was my choice, I still noticed that he was paying far more attention to her.

Spoiler:
Well, she was my choice until Tyria... and Ar Ru...

CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby CelticRedemption » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:28 am

Seicia wrote:
Spoiler:
saki
. Outside of the Cosmosphere, he pays MUCH more attention to her than the other girl.

I'd have to agree with that. Even though she was my choice, I still noticed that he was paying far more attention to her.

Spoiler:

I actually went for the Other one, then I saw
Spoiler:
Tyria, and Ar Ru, but then I was also locked on route for Finnel D: so I went for Tyria the next playthrough
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Seicia
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Seicia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:15 pm

CelticRedemption wrote:
Seicia wrote:
Spoiler:
saki

Spoiler:

I actually went for the Other one, then I saw
Spoiler:
Tyria, and Ar Ru, but then I was also locked on route for Finnel D: so I went for Tyria the next playthrough

That's what happened to me, too. I'm on my second playthrough now though.
Spoiler:
I tried cheating on Saki. It didn't work.

Aphrah
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aphrah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Haha, I see I'll be having fun with Qoga as the characters seem great. It should be here early next week *_*
I've been hearing about the game being somewhat easy on normal? I do enjoy a challenge, so would it be worth starting the game on hard?
Ooh, is it easy to screw up and get the bad end? XD
Sorry for all the questions :lol:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:35 pm

1) Kinda-sorta, depending on if you know what you're doing. You may want to avoid grinding, but that'll prevent you from advancing through the Cosmosphere, too. But apparently, more EXP on Hard Mode means that it's actually easier over time. It's still not super-dificult either way, but there will probably be times you need to heal.

2) By making the wrong choices or not winning a certain fight fast enough, yeah. ^^ I went to two different endings before I got the one I wanted. Yay for saves and foresight, though.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Aphrah
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Aphrah » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:09 am

Rednal wrote:1) Kinda-sorta, depending on if you know what you're doing. You may want to avoid grinding, but that'll prevent you from advancing through the Cosmosphere, too. But apparently, more EXP on Hard Mode means that it's actually easier over time. It's still not super-dificult either way, but there will probably be times you need to heal.

2) By making the wrong choices or not winning a certain fight fast enough, yeah. ^^ I went to two different endings before I got the one I wanted. Yay for saves and foresight, though.

Ah, alright. Just one more day hopefully. Does grinding make the game far too easy or is it something else D:?

Return to “Ar Tonelico Series”