Macross Frontier seems really similar to Ar Tonelico

The official forums for all things Ar Tonelico
Neon01
Majin
Majin

Macross Frontier seems really similar to Ar Tonelico

Postby Neon01 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 am

(I'm hoping this is the most appropriate place for this post)

The setting is different, and the story isn't a one-to-one match, but the themes, characters, relationships, and the way it develops is VERY similar.

I'm only about 2/3 of the way through the show (please, no spoilers :P ), but so far its incredible. I've played all three games, though I haven't gotten every ending.

Anyone else care to compare/contrast?

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Macross Frontier seems really similar to Ar Tonelico

Postby vampko » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:22 am

I'm a bit confused, but I haven't seen much of the macross series. I thought that was about giant robots? Not girls that sing song magic, and get stronger song magic by having someone go into their head and travel throughout their mind basically? Oh, and crystals being inserted into them to extend their life, as well as other things.

Though, as I said, I've not seen much of the macross series.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:10 am

Well, I think there is something about singing in order to help the pilots... somehow... I sorta see it. :lol:
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Neon01
Majin
Majin

Postby Neon01 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:14 am

vampko wrote:I'm a bit confused, but I haven't seen much of the macross series. I thought that was about giant robots? Not girls that sing song magic, and get stronger song magic by having someone go into their head and travel throughout their mind basically? Oh, and crystals being inserted into them to extend their life, as well as other things.

Though, as I said, I've not seen much of the macross series.

Giant robots? Not really. The original Macross series (SDF) was about the power of song and positive emotions and their ability to bring peace and stability to the universe. Mechs (mainly the variable fighter planes) and spaceships are really just set pieces, albeit integral ones. The story goes that an alien spacecraft devised by a super intelligent race crashed on earth in the late 20th century. All occupants died, but humanity learns from it's technology and becomes space faring. Eventually, another race - a war-like race of beings called the Zentraedi (sp?), who know nothing but conquest and military discipline - come to earth after tracking the alien spacecraft to the planet. War between the humans and Zentraedi is the subject of much of the show. But one of the main protagonists, a girl named Minmei, is a singer, and her song is instrumental in the conflict between the races (trying not to give anything away).

Macross Frontier takes place later in the Macross timeline (several tv series, OAVs and movies later), and has a completely different plot. But among the similarities to Ar Tonelico, you have a male protagonist who's something of a scrapper and spends a lot of time protecting the ladies that fall for him, female singers that have some form of "song power", many female characters that have mysterious pasts and (in many cases) are more than they seem, and others.

You should check it out if you haven't seen it. You really don't need a background on the Macross universe to enjoy it, but it does enhance the experience.

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:42 am

Having watched all of Macross (all of the series) and all played all of Ar Tonelico.

No not really. Just that singing is important.

Neon01
Majin
Majin

Postby Neon01 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:06 pm

betaflame wrote:Having watched all of Macross (all of the series) and all played all of Ar Tonelico.

To be clear, I'm not talking about all of Macross, I'm talking about Macross Frontier...but, fair enough.

betaflame
Majin
Majin

Postby betaflame » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Neon01 wrote:
betaflame wrote:Having watched all of Macross (all of the series) and all played all of Ar Tonelico.

To be clear, I'm not talking about all of Macross, I'm talking about Macross Frontier...but, fair enough.
Yes, the music itself isn't the important part, it's generally who's singing it, right up until frontier anyway.

That said Frontier was quite good, and the movie was an interesting alternate take on it.

Return to “Ar Tonelico Series”