The Light Novel Thread

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

The Light Novel Thread

Postby Seventh » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Forgive me if there's already one of these threads around, but I feel there's a definite need for one!

What is a light novel? Well, google it! Though I'd be willing to bet at least one of your favorite anime was based on one. And there are actually tons of them out there, and quite a few translated in English. So let's get some discussion going! If you want suggestions or just want to talk about stuff you've read recently, this is the place for it!

As for me, I recently caught up with the DAL translations and have to say I'm loving it. Can't wait for Volume 7. Right now I'm just starting something called Silver Cross and Draculea, which looks pretty interesting.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: The Light Novel Thread

Postby vampko » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:41 pm

Seventh wrote:Though I'd be willing to bet at least one of your favorite anime was based on one.

Toradora!

Most of my favorite anime are either original, from a V/N/Game, or a manga though.

I own one light novel actually: Strawberry Panic. I still haven't gotten around to reading it very far, I really should.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:05 pm

vampko wrote:
Seventh wrote:Though I'd be willing to bet at least one of your favorite anime was based on one.

Toradora!

I heard the magic word and came running.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:21 am

Huh! Never knew Toradora was an LN. Though truthfully I've always kind of avoided it since ZnT killed me on Kugimiya tsunderes and I've been wary of anything with her in it since.

Ironically, that's also a light novel series, though, well. You all know what happened there.

myskaros
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby myskaros » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:35 am

Shakugan no Shana, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Full Metal Panic!, Bakemonogatari, Baccano!, Durarara!!, Hataraku Maou-sama!, to name a few LNs whose anime adaptations I severely enjoyed :X

If you like NisiOisiN's works, the Zaregoto LNs were localized, though they only got the first 2 (of 9) out.

DarkAdonis259
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby DarkAdonis259 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:02 pm

I never read a light novel, though Index is one I would look into.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:32 pm

Seventh wrote:Huh! Never knew Toradora was an LN. Though truthfully I've always kind of avoided it since ZnT killed me on Kugimiya tsunderes and I've been wary of anything with her in it since.

Ironically, that's also a light novel series, though, well. You all know what happened there.

Louise is literally the absolute worst Kugyu character, no contest. Don't base her characters on Louise.

Taiga, however, is the best. Toradora is my all-time favorite anime. And you should watch it.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Duly noted! And until Louise I was actually fine with them (I'm rather fond of a lesser known one of hers, Tio in Gash Bell), but man was she something else.

I'll see if I can give it a shot sometime this season. I can tell its gonna be packed.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Louise is... a special case. :?
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:48 am

Slayers. That is all.

Also, is it just me or is the Unwanted Harem genre annoyingly prevalent in LNs these days? It's just me not knowing about enough LN series, right?
Kneel before me! :twisted:
Yeah, like that.

Neptunia fanfic: Hyperdimensional Adventures

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:53 am

Zdood wrote:Slayers. That is all.

Also, is it just me or is the Unwanted Harem genre annoyingly prevalent in LNs these days? It's just me not knowing about enough LN series, right?

Alternatively, it's that the most prevalent LN series are of the Unwanted Harem genre and your irritation is very much qualified.

Also, if I may add, Louise at least gets the execution of the tsundere right. That is to say, her circumstances and background actually justify her intolerable attitude. That is at least better than other tsunderes who are really petty with their justifications (Houki) but Date Reiko is still the best tsundere.

will57
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby will57 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:40 am

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a thread for this already. Anyway though, i've read quite a few different series, Toradora being the first one I read even after already watching the anime.
The last few I read though were volume 6 of Date A Live! and the 8th or 7th volume (whichever was most recently translated) of Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance (very glad it's getting an anime adaptation), which was surprisingly enjoyable despite it being pretty generic.

As for Louise in Familiar of Zero, I actually found her to be better in the light novel than in the anime. In the anime she just seems absolutely abusive for no reason at all other than just because she feels like it. Still one of my favorite characters just because of Rie Kugimiya.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:14 am

How is she in the novel? I felt that in the anime, by the fourth season, they kept resetting her and Saito's (was that his name?) development for the sake of forced harem antics. I also really hated how the series chose to forgo a romance and instead began forcing a harem when there had been very little of that for multiple seasons.

What's Blade Dance like/about? I'm gonna be in need of something new to read when I'm done catching up on Draculea.

will57
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby will57 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:33 am

Seventh wrote:How is she in the novel? I felt that in the anime, by the fourth season, they kept resetting her and Saito's (was that his name?) development for the sake of forced harem antics. I also really hated how the series chose to forgo a romance and instead began forcing a harem when there had been very little of that for multiple seasons.

What's Blade Dance like/about? I'm gonna be in need of something new to read when I'm done catching up on Draculea.

She actually isn't THAT different, there's just far less abuse in the light novel from what I can remember. I remember reading from volume 1 to 5 (I think it was 5) and she only used her whip maybe 4-5 times on Saito throughout all of that, maybe even less. She just seems like a really better character compared to how she was in the anime. Unfortunately, Saito and Louise's relationship is pretty much a roller coaster throughout all of the volumes I read so far (I think I stopped reading at 5, whenever the arc after the water spirit ended) and there's nothing that makes it any better in the light novel because it's always due to some sort of misunderstanding and neither Saito or Louise is willing to be reasonable.

Blade Dance basically falls into the category of action,harem,romance, fantasy, ecchi,comedy. Not too sure how to describe the story without it sounding terrible though. Actually, the relationship between the main protagonist and main heroine is similar to Saito and Louise, or Aria and Kinji (from HIdan no Aria). Not too long after the story starts, the main protagonist, Kamito saves the main heroine, Claire. Although, because of how he saved her, he managed to form a contract with the high rank spirit that she was trying to form a contract with. As far as she's concerned, he stole the spirit from her and she demands that he "forms a spirit contract with her" to make up for it (despite him being human). So, it's pretty much the same as it is in the Scarlet Ammo, where Aria calls Kinji her slave. Needless to say, she's tsundere.
I really don't know how else to explain it at the moment, i'd just suggest checking it out if you're not completely against generic stories.

Although i'd also recommend Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, one of my favorite light novel series that don't fall into the generic category. To describe it though, I would say that the description that's given for it on the site is the best way to describe it without giving away anything. Anyone who isn't against suspense and mystery will more than likely enjoy it.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:37 am

Blade Dance is all sorts of fun - and, I might note, Claire is MUCH less abusive than Louise tends to be. She's prideful and stubborn, but the series as a whole tends to be more fun. Also, it has Est, so I'm obligated to heartily recommend it.

Mind you, Louise actually gets called on her actions later in the ZnT novels, and...

Spoiler:
Saito has, basically, been mind-controlled ever since he arrived in that world as part of the way Familiar magic works. There's a reason all of the familiars are so loyal to their masters. When he's more in his right mind, Saito does actually voice objections to the treatment... and I think the anime made things worse than the novels did, too, probably in an attempt for comedy. It doesn't hurt that Louise's violence tapers down over time in favor of larger, more interesting, and more involved plots.

Though High School DxD is better than both. :lol: The ideal mix of fanservice, humor, and over-the-top action! It's like fanfics on drugs, except it somehow manages to work.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Return to “General Anime Chat”