[Fall 2015] Valkyrie Drive Mermaid (NSFW)

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: [Fall 2015] Valkyrie Drive Mermaid (NSFW)

Postby neonie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:15 am

Seventh wrote:Holy shit dude, this vendetta you have against the guy is getting a little ridiculous.

.... huh?

I don't... know how you interpreted my previous post? I didn't mention nor was thinking about that dude at all while writing it. I was just pointing out that there is actually a counter argument I hadn't thought of to the idea of that specific thing being it's only selling point.

My point was that the gameplay along with SK's aesthetic is unique. As in an anime style Character Action game.

(Unless you can point me to another character action game with an anime aesthetic made by a competent developer with competent controls, which I can tell you the ones on Steam right now are not that.)

If you're referring to the post I made before my previous one, that wasn't even me making any sort of argument or objective statement, just my own personal view on things. I don't really know how stating my position on something is going to lengths for anything?
Houk wrote:THE HYPOTHETICAL CENSORSHIP OF BABIES!

Spoiler:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:24 am

Seventh wrote:You're a lolicon, we get it

He's way less of one than I am >.>

You'd be surprised. Like really surprised

Moving forward
Seventh wrote:More importantly though, if the pissing match Taka's been hinting ar on Twitter with his bosses is as bad as it sounds, VD's game may be intended to replace Senran since it sounds like he's been getting chewed out for games post-SV not selling as well, at least from what I understand.

EV Sold only slightly less than SV on its first week. There's an obvious reason that the low selling ones are low selling . . .
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:34 am

vampko wrote:
Seventh wrote:You're a lolicon, we get it

He's way less of one than I am >.>

You'd be surprised. Like really surprised

Lol yeah I was also gonna say. I'm not exclusively a lolicon. Kind of the whole idea is that I like seeing a wide spread of things. Believe it or not, I would have just as much issue with an all lolicon game as I do with SK, and then if that lolicon game had one character with a different body type that it treated poorly.

People aren't one size fits all. Girls aren't one size fits all. The spectrum of girls I find cute is pretty wide.

The things that turn me off the most are actually personality based. They have nothing to do with body type. Like tsunderes.

Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:24 pm

neonie wrote:
Seventh wrote:Holy shit dude, this vendetta you have against the guy is getting a little ridiculous.

.... huh?
B-Baka! You weren't supposed to see that! W-Who told you you were allowed to reply so fast!? I edited it, you know! Baka! Baka baka baka!

neonie wrote:I don't... know how you interpreted my previous post? I didn't mention nor was thinking about that dude at all while writing it. I was just pointing out that there is actually a counter argument I hadn't thought of to the idea of that specific thing being it's only selling point.
I did... kind of... reply to this in the edit I made before I closed up shop for the day that it looks like neither of you guys saw, but even then, I think we'll still disagree, so I'll just go again here - though first I apologize for misunderstanding? But between "the guy who only thinks women with enormous boobs are valuable." and stuff you've said before, while maybe "vendetta" was absolutely the wrong word, it did kinda look like you've got that against him. 'pologies for my misunderstanding, but that + no sleep + being exhausted is where I was coming from this mornin'. :geek:

neonie wrote:My point was that the gameplay along with SK's aesthetic is unique. As in an anime style Character Action game.
Yeah, with this, I think the problem is that its aesthetic isn't really part of the picture. In Japan, something being "anime" isn't really considered unique. While it may be that there aren't a lot of non-boob anime games with similar gameplay, the aesthetic in general is all over the place, so if they haven't happened to have lined up like that before, I don't know if that's something people have paid attention to.

Also, I only recently found out about this, but Taka's actually been writing a manga based on the series since just before the games even started. Like, himself writing it, even though he doesn't write the games personally, which is pretty interesting. I have to wonder if there's a story there, especially since the manga was coming out first and the manga he writes is ongoing to this day, but I dunno.

In that respect, a girls-stripping-action manga, even with giant breasts, is... actually not even remotely unique. If that's where he was coming from, it almost makes me wonder if at least part of the intent was more "here's this cool thing in manga they're doing lately, let's make it into a game since there's not one like it yet" or something.

I mean Freezing's artist alone has released like... over half a dozen of the damn things, and they're hardly the only ones.

I guess what my point basically is is that while it is to us filthy Western scum, over there, especially considering, remember, they weren't even considering localizing the series until the West showed their support after SV came out, anime art style isn't some amazing unique thing - the opposite is, if anything.

vampko wrote:
Seventh wrote:More importantly though, if the pissing match Taka's been hinting ar on Twitter with his bosses is as bad as it sounds, VD's game may be intended to replace Senran since it sounds like he's been getting chewed out for games post-SV not selling as well, at least from what I understand.

EV Sold only slightly less than SV on its first week. There's an obvious reason that the low selling ones are low selling . . .
The stuff came up after EV, actually. I know, I agree, I said the same thing, and I think he did too, but there are also people (particularly ones who aren't fans of the Versus games) that only look at the individual console sales rather than combined, and if the bigwigs or whatever are doing that, then they might think the "versions" of EV both sold miserably rather than together. I mean it's not like we don't see companies releasing two games under the same name on handheld/console when they're actually different ones.

If actual gamers who should understand that they're the same game are making this error, businessmen who may not have a clue could probably get confused very easily.

neonie wrote:The things that turn me off the most are actually personality based. They have nothing to do with body type. Like tsunderes.
baka

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Seventh wrote:If actual gamers who should understand that they're the same game are making this error, businessmen who may not have a clue could probably get confused very easily.

I can believe it.

Would suck if SK died when it just started really getting good...
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:33 am

Seventh wrote:Yeah, with this, I think the problem is that its aesthetic isn't really part of the picture. In Japan, something being "anime" isn't really considered unique. While it may be that there aren't a lot of non-boob anime games with similar gameplay, the aesthetic in general is all over the place, so if they haven't happened to have lined up like that before, I don't know if that's something people have paid attention to.

It might be true that it would stand out slightly less, my argument wasn't necessarily that it's aesthetic alone would or does make it stand out. Though I can kind of see how you might interpret it that way.

My argument is that the gameplay (the character action element) along with it's aesthetic make it unique. But I also think I did a poor job yesterday morning (because like you, I was very tired an having trouble sleeping) at explaining why I think Senran Kagura stops just short, gameplay wise, of being far more noteable and unique than it otherwise could have been.

I mentioned that the games are a series of battle arena's, but that doesn't quite explain what I was trying to say.

If you look at any game focused on story telling in Western Game Development, and even many in Japanese game development, the environments are another means of telling the story. Your surroundings tell you about the game world, you move through them, you progress forward, and the story happens as you progress.

In Senran Kagura this part of the game is completely broken (to me). The environments are repeated, they don't tell you much about the world you're in at all, you are never moving forward. In Senran Kagura you don't move through them so much as you move IN them. You might as well just be in a circular LITERAL battle arena, or a white box for as much story telling as they do with them.

If you look at stuff like Alice: Madness Returns and DmC, the environments are used to fantastic degree as a means of story telling and progression. It feels like they created two parts of a three part game. They created a battle system with no place to use it, and a story with no environment in which to tell it.

It's like if you tried to bite into a cake only to discover the inside was hollow. There's this delicious outer shell of this cake with no substance inside of it. Or maybe icing? I don't know it's morning again and that metaphor feels broken somehow but I don't know how to correct it lol.

Spoiler:

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:05 pm

For those who have been keeping up with the show, now that there are 3 episodes out (for the 3 episode rule or whatever it was called), how would you say it has progressed so far?

I haven't watched anything passed the first episode so I'm trying to gauge to see if I should jump back into it or not.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:48 pm

I'll be honest, after 2 I can't make myself bother with 3.

I can't stand Mirei, the show in general looks and sounds bad, and it's extremely bland. It feels like a standard LN setup - because they haven't shown any emotional connection yet, just teased/hinted (arguably), the sex stuff doesn't even change that.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:46 pm

shadowmaksim wrote:For those who have been keeping up with the show, now that there are 3 episodes out (for the 3 episode rule or whatever it was called), how would you say it has progressed so far?

I haven't watched anything passed the first episode so I'm trying to gauge to see if I should jump back into it or not.

Better every episode, saving anime, etc.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Sumner
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Sumner » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:06 am

Popping in to say that meifon sakura is best girl.
Meteor Breaker!

pro100pk2
Vassal
Vassal

Postby pro100pk2 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:52 am

excellent Anime thanks

Return to “General Anime Chat”