Thunderbolt Fantasy (Summer 2016)

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Thunderbolt Fantasy (Summer 2016)

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Fri May 27, 2016 4:00 am

Anyone planning on checking it out?

Look it up, and if you have questions, ask me, I've been a big fan of the Taiwanese PILI series for 20 years. ^_^

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Thunderbolt Fantasy (Summer 2016)

Postby vampko » Fri May 27, 2016 6:15 am

You could give some sort of something to your post instead of relying on others to google stuff for you.

Offical site

Not my thing at all...

and

PV
It's claymation.... ._.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Fri May 27, 2016 6:20 am

vampko wrote:You could give some sort of something to your post instead of relying on others to google stuff for you.

Offical site

Not my thing at all...

and

PV
It's claymation.... ._.

Hands were a bit full at the time(and I couldn't find a good English site besides the official site -_-)

Claymation? No, not even close. :lol: It's actually hand-puppetry, here's another link: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/02/08/a ... %E3%80%91/

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri May 27, 2016 6:31 am

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:
vampko wrote:You could give some sort of something to your post instead of relying on others to google stuff for you.

Offical site

Not my thing at all...

and

PV
It's claymation.... ._.

Hands were a bit full at the time(and I couldn't find a good English site besides the official site -_-)

Claymation? No, not even close. :lol: It's actually hand-puppetry, here's another link: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/02/08/a ... %E3%80%91/

:lol:
well, this is going to be one cheap anime to make at the least. So, even if it doesn't do the best, they'll still make good money.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Fri May 27, 2016 12:02 pm

vampko wrote:
Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:

Offical site

Not my thing at all...

and

PV
It's claymation.... ._.

:lol:
well, this is going to be one cheap anime to make at the least. So, even if it doesn't do the best, they'll still make good money.

Hmm, cheap anime? Not sure what you mean by that. In terms of money, each puppet is worth of upwards of 5 digits in Taiwanese currency, which is a couple hundred in CAD and USD, as they're crafted in a very detailed form.

In terms of filming, in an insider interview once, they said they could only use about 20 mins of film per day, if they're lucky, given the high standards of angle, position, and art and getting them just right. While Thunderbolt Fantasy will (probably) be only 22 mins/ep, the series us Taiwanese are familiar with is actually about 70 mins/ep, with an ep or two every week depending on the series (yes, there's more than one series, with 2 that stands out in terms of popularity, one of them being the PILI series).

If you're thinking there's no animation in the technical sense, they always add special effects (in terms of flashy moves), so there's that.

Will it make good money? Eh I'm not sure. I hope so, but the past indicates that pushing this sort of entertainment (due to massive cultural integration) to outside of Taiwan has limited success, though it has gained a following in China and even has a Mandarin dub (the language traditionally spoken in this series is Taiwanese, close relative of the Hokkien dialect). Though in all honesty, asking me to listen to puppets speaking in Mandarin is like asking me to watch anime in English, it's just......feels wrong.

And while it is made by PILI, it's not part of their main series and still an original series, so that's always a gamble.

Thunderbolt Fantasy will have a Mandarin, Taiwanese, and Japanese voiceovers, I'll only be checking out the latter 2.

Actually, about a decade ago, PILI, the same company that's co-creating this, tried to bring their own series to the US, dubbed Wulin Warriors, and it sucked and was canceled after 2 eps.

Sorry about the wall of text, you can tell I'm pretty passionate about this. :mrgreen:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri May 27, 2016 1:45 pm

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:Hmm, cheap anime? Not sure what you mean by that. In terms of money, each puppet is worth of upwards of 5 digits in Taiwanese currency, which is a couple hundred in CAD and USD, as they're crafted in a very detailed form.

Okay, but animation budgets typically go into the millions. If they sell the BDs/DVDs for the same sort of price as other anime, they'll make Good profit if it actually sells even as "good" as something like...Re-kan.
Spoiler:

Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Fri May 27, 2016 5:29 pm

vampko wrote:
Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:Hmm, cheap anime? Not sure what you mean by that. In terms of money, each puppet is worth of upwards of 5 digits in Taiwanese currency, which is a couple hundred in CAD and USD, as they're crafted in a very detailed form.

Okay, but animation budgets typically go into the millions. If they sell the BDs/DVDs for the same sort of price as other anime, they'll make Good profit if it actually sells even as "good" as something like...Re-kan.

I don't know about Thunderbolt Fantasy in particular, but the typical budget would also be in the hundreds of millions. But profits can easily reach billions.

Oh and while this probably won't be how Thunderbolt Fantasy will be handled, but in Taiwan, the puppet series weekly new episodes are actually released in DVD (no TV broadcasts, the TV broadcasts older episodes...censored). You can get the DVDs at your local Family Mart/7-11/Circle K. Each DVD ep is only about 5 or 6 dollars USD/CAD. Since I lived most of my life overseas, I've no choice but to watch them in...other ways. However the profits the company makes from these new episode DVDs alone can easily reach 6 digits for each episode (in TWD).

Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:40 pm

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000121- ... s/73993307

First ep is out, the above link is where most of my English discussion is.

Return to “General Anime Chat”