General Anime/Manga News Thread

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

General Anime/Manga News Thread

Postby vampko » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:55 am

General thread to talk about Anime/Manga news
Last edited by vampko on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:29 am, edited 45 times in total.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Sheleigha
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: I need some recommendations

Postby Sheleigha » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Copycat :p That's EXACTLY what I've been doing lately! It's awesome to focus while having a workout, otherwise I just get bored and quit if there's nothing to look it. Besides, it helps out my anime backlog!
(Although sadly I've been feeling under the weather to be doing it consistantly, and work has me doing alot of running around anyways)...

Well, I can use the recommendation of what I've been working out to: X
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/video/9331/
I'm not sure if the site is region coded or not, though. But it has the entire series subbed!
For me, it was a chance to dust off my boxset I bought years ago, and put it to use!

I'm about halfway done the show and REALLY enjoying it although, I DO suggest you read through the Tokyo Babylon manga first... it's a prequel to the series, and kind of spoils some stuff if you watch X before it. Still, Tokyo Babylon is one of my most FAVORITE series ever! Left me with a HUGE impression, something not alot of anime/manga do! Of course, since I knew how it ended, thanks to X, you could really feel the climax coming and knew what to expect!

Necrofantasia
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Necrofantasia » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Based on your rather extensive list, I do have a few suggestions for you to watch:

1) Hayate no Gotoku
This is one of the funniest anime I have ever seen. Hayate Ayasaki, possibly the unluckiest dude in history, through a series of misunderstandings, is hired as the butler of rich shut-in Nagi Sanzenin. Wackiness ensues, including a talking tiger, giant robots, rival battle butlers, and more references other shows/games than you can shake Hinagiku's wooden sword at. When I started watching this, I couldn't stop and had to limit myself to one or two episodes per day so I wouldn't watch it all in just a few days. There's nothing especially groundbreaking or profound about this show, but it's supremely entertaining.

2) Any of the trio of Air/Clannad/Kanon
I group them together because they're all pretty similar. They look like harem shows, but they're really not and all have really good character development. They're all well-known enough you probably already know of their existence, but I had to put in a plug for them. My only recommendation would be not to watch them all in a row, as you might experience moe overload.
~Member of the JSFPS: Final Promise Story Squad~

leinaud
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby leinaud » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:12 pm

There are a few good ones I would recommend but for working out...are you wanting fun to watch or deep stories and such? Sadly, I don't know if any of these recommendations are on Crunchyroll or not either.

As for fun to watch I highly recommend Those Who Hunt Elves I and II. This is the ONLY anime i will ever recommend watching Dubs over subs. The VAs are amazing and the humor is translated ten times better than with the subs. (There is a better emotional transfer.)

I am very saddened to not see Shakugan no Shana on that list :( Another good story-based show is This Ugly yet Beautiful World. It is deep and bittersweet. Good stuff. I can list hundreds of shows to watch. I actually have a list of about 6 pages in type 10 font, single spaced with ratings on whether or not I disliked, thought was ok, liked, or loved. I think it would take up too much space here to post but PM and e-mail address and I can send it to you. (I have watched a lot of unknown anime as well.)

Awaking in 2014...

SjSharks182
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby SjSharks182 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:37 pm

leinaud wrote:I think it would take up too much space here to post but PM and e-mail address and I can send it to you. (I have watched a lot of unknown anime as well.)

Could I get that email too bro?
"Can I pay my rent in fun?"

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:32 pm

It doesn't matter what genre it is, as long as I'm enjoying it. If it's a really sad and moving show (like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0) that would still work just fine.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming. Tomorrow I'll work out which one to start watching, and keep a back log list of the stuff you suggest as well.

Oh, and X really isn't for me. I've read some of the manga, and didn't really like it.

Adding Elf Princess Rane and Detatoko Princess to the list of stuff I liked
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Why don't you finish watching death note?

I second the recommendation for kanon/air/clannad as well.
<Kana> what the f*** have i been doing last year
<bloo> *shrugs*
<bloo> doing your sister?
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:15 pm

bloodyaftertaste wrote:Why don't you finish watching death note?

I don't finish watching it, because I have a feeling I'll be disappointed. I just don't want to lose that memory of it being really awesome. If I do watch it again, it'll be during my normal anime watching times. I also don't want anything bad to happen to Light, he's my favorite character so far ;)
Spoiler:

Burin077
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Burin077 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Hmm, I don't see Soul Eater on that list, or Fate Stay Night, those might be a couple you'd want to look into.

I highly recommend the two, might be a bit on the short-side, but definitely good action and keeps you wanting more.

- B
Burin077: Netherworld Creator / Destroyer
6-Year Disgaea Veteran

SjSharks182
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby SjSharks182 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:00 am

leinaud wrote:I actually have a list of about 6 pages in type 10 font, single spaced with ratings on whether or not I disliked, thought was ok, liked, or loved. I think it would take up too much space here to post but PM and e-mail address and I can send it to you. (I have watched a lot of unknown anime as well.)

Could I get that email bro?

And I'll triple the Clannad/Kannon/Air, and add in Angel Beats (also by Key). Ef - A Tale of Memories is one of my favorite animes, so that too (although idk for working out O.o)
"Can I pay my rent in fun?"

leinaud
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby leinaud » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:26 am

SjSharks182 wrote:Could I get that email bro?

sure, just PM me your e-mail address :)

Awaking in 2014...

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:40 am

Just finished Gendai Mahou, and I loved the ending~
Hopefully they'll do a second season, as there's a lot of potential in there to pull off a full 26 episode second season.

Triple votes for Clannad/Air/Kanon, so out of those three, which do you think I should watch first? (assuming someone doesn't come up with something else really great to watch. though I doubt it, as those are really praised a lot around the net.)
Spoiler:

Sieghardt
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Sieghardt » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:15 am

Forgive me if you've already seen some of these, the lists are too loing to cross check XD but ehre goes

I see you like Nuku Nuku, give Hyper Police a look, catgirlular fun :D

I see you like some super robot stuff, give Godannar, Gravion and Full Metal Panic! a look, especially Full Metal Panic as it's hilarious

because of a few things you have listed, give Busou Renkin a look

Comedies you might like: Magical Pokan, Ruin Explorers, Rune Soldier (These two are kinda like Slayers ^^)

You migth also like Spice and Wolf, Outlaw Star, and Kyouran Kazoku Nikki (Awesome catgirl, seriously)

let me know if you try any of those and what you think

Necrofantasia
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Necrofantasia » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:52 am

vampko wrote:Triple votes for Clannad/Air/Kanon, so out of those three, which do you think I should watch first? (assuming someone doesn't come up with something else really great to watch. though I doubt it, as those are really praised a lot around the net.)

I'd say watch Kanon first. It's my favorite of the three and considering it's set in perpetually snowy town, it seems fitting to watch in December, or really any time in the winter. If you're really pressed for time, Air is only 12 episodes long, while Kanon is 24, and Clannad is 52 (technically, Clannad is 26 and Clannad: After Story is 26, but you can't really stop in the middle). You can't really go wrong with any of them, though. Kanon was just the first one of those I watched, so it's stayed with me the most.
~Member of the JSFPS: Final Promise Story Squad~

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Necrofantasia wrote:
vampko wrote:Triple votes for Clannad/Air/Kanon, so out of those three, which do you think I should watch first? (assuming someone doesn't come up with something else really great to watch. though I doubt it, as those are really praised a lot around the net.)

I'd say watch Kanon first. It's my favorite of the three and considering it's set in perpetually snowy town, it seems fitting to watch in December, or really any time in the winter. If you're really pressed for time, Air is only 12 episodes long, while Kanon is 24, and Clannad is 52 (technically, Clannad is 26 and Clannad: After Story is 26, but you can't really stop in the middle). You can't really go wrong with any of them, though. Kanon was just the first one of those I watched, so it's stayed with me the most.

Snow...I LOVE the snow!!!! Looks like it will be Kanon for sure ^-^ Tomorrow I watch the first episode of Kanon =^-^=
Spoiler:

Return to “General Anime Chat”