What are you currently watching?

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: What are you currently watching?

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:38 am

Prinny Supervisor wrote:
vampko wrote:It's so over the top, I can't really take it as "fanservice". More like taking jabs at fanservice. Especially the "Oh no! this'll turn into a typical galge situation if I let this go on!" scene :lol:

They could have taken jabs at fanservice without being fanservice, though...

It's difficult to properly walk the satire line.
Even if you do, it comes with the acceptance that it will get misunderstood by someone.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:48 am

Prinny Supervisor wrote:
vampko wrote:It's so over the top, I can't really take it as "fanservice". More like taking jabs at fanservice. Especially the "Oh no! this'll turn into a typical galge situation if I let this go on!" scene :lol:

They could have taken jabs at fanservice without being fanservice, though...

I once again quote yahtzee: "Just because you're being ironically fetishistic doesn't mean people aren't jerking off to it."

Ultimately though I'll admit that that kind of show just isn't my cup of tea and there's just about zero chance of anyone convincing me to watch it and even less of a chance of me watching it and taking it seriously.

Well....you're not supposed to take it seriously xD

And people will jerk off to anything. I don't see why that makes this any less of a hilarious scene

but I also find laughter a lot simpler than most people, so there's that.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:43 am

When I first saw that scene, I initially thought that it was supposed to be a jab at sexual fanservice as well. I mean, it is way too ridiculous for the most part.

But I'm left skeptical on that. That character has been getting that treatment the entire episode more or less so I don't know.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:38 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:They could have taken jabs at fanservice without being fanservice, though...

I once again quote yahtzee: "Just because you're being ironically fetishistic doesn't mean people aren't jerking off to it."
I dunno, doesn't it depend?

Haven't seen the show, probably won't, and may even not like it for the same reasons, but to me, that just comes with the territory. I mean, to an extent, that's... sort of the idea with satire and parody and so on. How would you go about doing that sort of thing for violence, gore, and zombies, without showing any of that or even hinting at it like the suggestion seems to be for sexual content?

It seems to me like sex/fanservice is just this weird hot topic that people hold to a special standard compared to other things. Violence and gore can get away with it these days for whatever reason, but the second sex comes into it - nope! It could be, to be fair, also because fanservice and cookie cutter anime have become a lot more common in recent years, but I don't think that's the only factor here.

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:31 pm

Seventh wrote:I dunno, doesn't it depend?

Haven't seen the show, probably won't, and may even not like it for the same reasons, but to me, that just comes with the territory. I mean, to an extent, that's... sort of the idea with satire and parody and so on. How would you go about doing that sort of thing for violence, gore, and zombies, without showing any of that or even hinting at it like the suggestion seems to be for sexual content?

Off the top of my head, I recall a scene from FLCL in which Naota and the gang are playing a game of airsoft. They take it incredibly seriously, parodying war without being graphically violent. There is obviously a hell of a lot more going on in that sequence than just a parody played for laughs (FLCL is amazing in this way, being so richly layered), but that's one thing that comes to mind as making fun of violence without being violent.

It seems to me like sex/fanservice is just this weird hot topic that people hold to a special standard compared to other things. Violence and gore can get away with it these days for whatever reason, but the second sex comes into it - nope! It could be, to be fair, also because fanservice and cookie cutter anime have become a lot more common in recent years, but I don't think that's the only factor here.

Oh no, don't misunderstand. I have no problem with fanservice whatsoever. I have a problem with fanservice that pretends it isn't fanservice. Creators that try to have their cake and eat it, too. "Hey guys, isn't fanservice just ridiculous, lol! We're way too good for that, we're different. We're holding the whole concept up to mockery. With a pair of huge anime tiddies." You could have a show like Kill la Kill which is full of blatant and obvious fanservice that owns this rather than trying to hide it and ends up having a much more honest message.

It reminds me of an awful movie called God Bless America. It mocks people for for being stupid, obsessed with sex and violence, and enjoying mindless entertainment...by being a stupid, violent, sexual, and mindless movie. Its characters are obvious mouthpieces for the creators and are incessantly pretentious. It irritated the hell out of me.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:06 pm

They're not pushing any message...it's just comedy. They're not saying "fanservice is bad". They're just poking fun at things that happen in anime often enough.

it's not supposed to be taken seriously in the slightest. You're digging too deep. this isn't Yurikuma or Madoka or something.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

pro100pk2
Vassal
Vassal

Postby pro100pk2 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:53 am

I'll watch anime
class killers

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:56 pm

Well, finally finished up the last 10 or so episodes of "Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ". I've been putting this off for a while.

Now that I've seen it in it's entirety...why is this one so disliked by the "Gundam" community? I mean, I can understand it to some degree. "Gundam Zeta" was quite dark and serious along with leaving quite a lot of loose ends. "Gundam ZZ" takes place immediately afterwords and is more jokey and silly, along with only addressing a couple of those loose ends. But the overall story was progressed with some new concepts either getting introduced or fleshed out more. Not to mention, if anything, it's a lot more similar in tone and feel to the original "Mobile Suit Gundam" and that's regarded to be a classic despite having quite a few of the same flaws. I guess as someone who didn't have to wait a week for an episode for the series that went from grim dark to more silly stuff, the impact wasn't anywhere near as bad for me.

Oh well, on to the next series in line.

-sigh-

Why is it now that I finally decide to start going through my backlog when I'm also keeping up with 17 currently airing series this season? I guess I must just finally have gotten in the mood for watching a lot of anime.

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:38 am

Speaking of, I dropped Iron-Blooded Orphans after 10 eps. The show started with a lot of promise but steadily fizzled and became predictable and one-note.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:54 am

Managed to marathon the entirety of "Super Sonico: The Animation" in a single session before passing out for sleep.

For a show about a mascot-level character who does Gravure Modeling and is a Rock musician...this was actually pretty enjoyable. Far better than I thought it would be. It's not amazing or anything really all that special, it was just a simple and laid back kind of enjoyment. Got a lot of the same feelings I got from "Show By Rock!!" now that I think about it.

On a side note, episode 9 got me like a sucker. I wasn't expecting all those references, especially the "Demonbane" ones.

Prinny Supervisor wrote:Speaking of, I dropped Iron-Blooded Orphans after 10 eps. The show started with a lot of promise but steadily fizzled and became predictable and one-note.

Honestly, at least so far, my biggest problem with "Gundam IBO" is how lucky the main cast is. You cannot tell me the deal they got wasn't out of nowhere and gave them quite a lot of benefits, though I do expect there to be some consequences down the line. Aside from it also being rather slow on progressing things, there is seemingly a lot of downtime so far, I don't really have much other problems with it. It's basically just another "Gundam" show for the most part.

But at least with episode 14, the gears look to finally be turning again. Some of those consequences might actually play a role this time around after this.
Last edited by shadowmaksim on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

will57
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby will57 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Once again, it looks like one of my favorite anime this season will be a short (Oji-san to Marshmallow).
Also, Active Raid is surprisingly fun so far. Wasn't really expecting an action comedy since the director of Code Geass is involved.

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:06 pm

Been watching Erased, it is good shit.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:13 pm

I should look into that one - I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about it.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Just finished episode 20 of "Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~".

I'm enjoying it but there is some severe dissonance going on here for me. Forget about all the super human athleticism and gunplay our main characters are pulling off, there is something up with their ages. Seriously, some of them just don't look their age at all.

For example:
Spoiler:
At the start of the series, I thought our protagonist here was either in his late teens or just started being a young adult. By episode 20, around 3 years have past since it first began and he's apparently still young enough to now be attending high school.

EDIT:

Just finished it. It was rather enjoyable but I can see why some would have a problem with how it ended. But honestly, I found it rather suitable given all the themes of the show itself.

Regardless, I think I've pretty much capped out preparing for "Nitroplus Blasterz". Don't think there are any other series I can actually access without needing to be able to understand and read Japanese.

Sultan Sigma
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Sultan Sigma » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:48 pm

This season is my 'get back into anime' season, so I have watched a bunch of stuff.

Erased - Really enjoying this, the premise hooked me in deep after the first episode.
Phantom World - Ridiculous fan service, over the top fights, and huge breasts... not sure what else I can say about it.
Galko-chan - Fun mini episodes with funny jokes, the latest episode got kind of emotional, which I thought was weird.
BBK/BRNK - I wasn't sure about the whole CG thing at first, but it isn't bothering me. I think I will enjoy it a lot more once the story gets going.
Dagashi Kashi - Oh my goodness, I love this show. The whole candy thing is funny to me, but I love Saya's character. Looking forward to learning more useless stuff about Japanese candy that I can't get.

Return to “General Anime Chat”