What are you currently watching?

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Re: What are you currently watching?

Postby Lan-kun » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:
Lan-kun wrote:Definitely, definitely gonna watch it later today.

Spoiler:
for loli-oppai Kirin

Man it's not even worth it for that :/

It's a fanservice/trope-heavy show that screws up fanservice and tropes. It's just...the opposite of fun to watch.

Even loli-oppai Kirin is not worth it?! Damn, it's one thing to screw up fight choreo., story-telling, and tropes, BUT it's another flippin' thing to screw up god damned fanservice!

by the time you read this I'll probably be already foaming by the mouth and twitching sporadically from watching ASS. War's first ep if it's really that bad
Spoiler:
In a dark, damp place known as the mind...

Doodle Nep: mAkE a CoMiC aBoUt Us, I dArE yOu. I'lL nEp YeR fAcE In If YoU dO.
Lan-kun: K.

Me fanfics lie within this link!

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:07 pm

Just to get a conversation going, does anyone have any examples of this kind of show that they believe did it right, the whole LN-adapted school/battle/harem/whatever genre? Or at the very least did it well enough?

Anyway, on a related note, just saw the first episode for the currently airing "Hundred". It was alright for the most part as far as I'm concerned. I somewhat recall enjoying the short advertisement manga, had 13 whole chapters, that I read some years back so I decided to give this a whirl. Who knows, depending on how it goes from here, the anime adaptation could end up anywhere between being bad-to-average.

Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Lan-kun » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:40 pm

shadowmaksim wrote:Just to get a conversation going, does anyone have any examples of this kind of show that they believe did it right, the whole LN-adapted school/battle/harem/whatever genre? Or at the very least did it well enough?

Anyway, on a related note, just saw the first episode for the currently airing "Hundred". It was alright for the most part as far as I'm concerned. I somewhat recall enjoying the short advertisement manga, had 13 whole chapters, that I read some years back so I decided to give this a whirl. Who knows, depending on how it goes from here, the anime adaptation could end up anywhere between being bad-to-average.

Hundred was meh for me when I read it, but I have to say, the knee was an unforgettable experience I will remember for years to come. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

As for school-battle-harem animu... I guess Chivalry of a Failed Knight would be a pretty mid-medium, just marginally above average good enough for me in recent memory.

Spoiler:
One of the main selling stuff for me was Ikki's eventual relationship with Stella. That, I admit, was very nicely written and even kinda realistic in portrayals about 7 out of 10 times.
Spoiler:

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Lan-kun wrote:Even loli-oppai Kirin is not worth it?! Damn, it's one thing to screw up fight choreo., story-telling, and tropes, BUT it's another flippin' thing to screw up god damned fanservice!

This part of Digibro's analysis, especially around the 8:40 mark, really gets into just how bad *war is and explains what I've been trying to explain to people about "fanservice" for quite some time now.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:09 am

shadowmaksim wrote:Just to get a conversation going, does anyone have any examples of this kind of show that they believe did it right, the whole LN-adapted school/battle/harem/whatever genre? Or at the very least did it well enough?
Well, I'd say the first two seasons of DxD, but I wasn't too hot on how the third went rogue since it busted up pacing and development with some of the decisions it made.

Other than that, I actually haven't seen any recently. Does Negima count?

Anyhoo, I wanna try to watch Digimon Adventure Tri and finally get back to Arc-V this week, but it's unlikely. :(

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:20 am

Aikatsu Stars is really going at lengths to be different from the original series. So far it's a great start, but I'm a bit worried how these changes will affect the fanbase (and thus production quality of future episodes). I mean, it's good to not be the same as the original, but all the same, they've made some rather large changes
Spoiler:
So, now there are male idols. This...is a very risky move. Aikatsu sure has a lot of young girls as fans, but you know that a large chunk of the fans are otaku. Especially the ones buying merch. It could turn out fine, [email protected] did fine with this setup. But it's still worrying.

Next, we're going supernatural??? This should be really interesting how they handle Yume's mysterious ability. And if others are going to get an ability of some sort in the future too. I almost half expect this to go AKB0048 :lol:

Not really a "change" exactly, but the dances seem much more...lifeless. Hopefully this gets better in future episodes.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Lan-kun » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:54 pm

Holy shit, this anime...
"Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?", aka "And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online?"

If you consider yourself an online gamer, you have to consider watching this! You'll understand and laugh alongside its humor if you are! Plus, it's not a harem-ecchi! It's a romcom-ecchi with a flippin' adorable main girl! XD

Oh why... Why do I have to wait 6 days until ep. 2...? ;A;
Spoiler:

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:02 pm

Good to see how "Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress" continues to show just how full of hypocrisy some portions of the anime community is.

Oh well, at least the show itself was enjoyable, so far anyway.

will57
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby will57 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:36 pm

Finishing up Girls Beyond the Youth Koya.
Didn't even know that this was a visual novel adaptation until recently.

Also watching Netoge and Anne Happy. Netoge's manga was a lot of fun back when I was reading it, so i'm sure the anime will be just as good.

Anne Happy was just cute despite being about girls with incredibly bad luck.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:26 am

Finally decided to get around to watching "Symphogear GX", the third season of the series.

I rather liked the first season, despite not exactly being a fan of the ending, and the second season, while I had some problems with it overall, it did end in a very spectacular way with many hanging lines more or less properly concluded. The third season, "GX", on the other hand I felt like it was a complete mess for the most part.

Between all the inconsistencies and plot-holes, the entire season was just so poorly written in general which led to asspull after asspull to just keep happening one after another. One thing that really got me was how previous personal dilemmas that some of the characters had addressed in previous seasons, if not earlier episodes this season even, got reiterated...meaning some of the characters development came from them undoing their regression which meant they barely even actually developed, if at all. That's a huge pet peeve of mine in particular, especially when I don't think it was handled well. Hibiki's character in particular and the circumstances surrounding her probably suffered the most in this regard, it's almost unbelievable. Worse still was that that the ending to season 2, the one I thought was actually pretty good and a fitting finale to the series, was more or less invalidated of pretty much any worth it had.

The fact that it's been announced that there's already two more planned seasons has me really worried. Unless the series goes in a completely different direction or has a brand new cast, I really don't see how much more can be squeezed with the current cast or even setting. This third season already showed that it barely knew what to do with them without retreading old plot points or pulling out something near random.

Geez, I really need to find a series that I can just enjoy. Feels like I've been doing nothing but complaining about the shows I've been watching lately.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:21 am

Honestly I actually agree with most of that, though I already wasn't hot on season two for some of these same reasons until the end.

I liked some of what GX did, but I'd be lying if I said my expectations for future stuff are particularly high after it.

Zetsubear
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Zetsubear » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:51 pm

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4 Diamond is Unbreakable-Love it

One Piece-Finished Amazon Lily arc

Shimoneta-This show...just fucking rocks. So hilarious and so perverted it fit my tastes :p
Spoiler:

PSN: ninja-star95
NNID: AKninja95
Twitter: @MKWhopper
(Feel free to add me)

SupeMastodonicRoboMechPenisZetsuCyberBear

-Elston

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:09 am

Symphogear is a "don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the experience" sort of series. Though, to be honest, I'm not sure where you're really coming from. We never found out
Spoiler:
what hibiki fully went through until season three. That was most of her development. I'm not sure about the "regression" you're referring to. Chris became a better senpai. ShiraKiri learned a lot. Maria and Tsubasa may as well get ready for their honeymoon. And we got a whole lot from the new member.

There's loads of potential for the upcoming seasons. The cast could grow more, and we could get some MikuHibi development. Maybe even set up someone to fix Chris's fifth wheelness!

And hopefully a return of Miku's gear...
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:01 pm

Osomatsu-san: Watched episodes 2-7 (1 isn't available because of Japanese copyright laws) since I got tired of Asterisk War and I'm really enjoying it so far. I might go back to Asterisk at some point, but I at least want to finish this series first.
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Lan-kun » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:30 pm

I just finished DanMachi yesterday and it's... pretty good I guess?
Nothing was particularly spectacular or memorable here, 'cept for loli-oppai Hestia. ;)

Currently at ep. 7 of Overlord, which started off quite strong, but is kinda wearing on me now. I need some drastic developments, Momonga!
Spoiler:

Return to “General Anime Chat”