Anime: Hidden Jewels

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
Clephas
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Anime: Hidden Jewels

Postby Clephas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:17 am

Are there anime series you've seen but most others haven't that you badly want others to watch, because they are just that good? Then list them here.

Casshern Sins- This is a series based on the old Casshan Robot Hunter anime from way back when. However, it is almost completely different. This series uses a different style of animation from that used most of the time today, but that just makes it more compelling. This series is seriously deep - and seriously violent - with strong themes of the meaning of life, of living in a world where death is inevitable. Casshern is a compelling character, and every episode has serious impact. The ending satisfies on every level, and it left me feeling sated, which I don't feel very often with anime anymore. ANN link: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=9702

Legend of the Galactic Heroes- Do you know what a space opera is? Well this is the anime that brought the genre into the spotlight, and it also happens to be the most well-thought out of all of them. It is a work of pure genius, with an incredible plot that puts FFT to shame. I seriously recommend it to anyone who loves Byzantine and Machiavellian politics, as well as political philosophy. This series is very old - it was made in 1988 - but the animation is still decent, if in a style not used anymore. ANN link: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=1786

Heroic Age- I like this series most for the sheer level of the violence, with boys that turn into giant monsters destroying entire fleets of ships and slaughter on a vast scale. Oh, and the plot is good too. lol ANN link: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=7627

Kara no Kyoukai- This anime is pretty well-known in certain circles - Nasuphiles, you know who you are - but pretty much unknown outside of them. It is an anime about a girl named Ryougi Shiki who has the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, which allow her to see the lines along which all things are meant to be destroyed upon their creation, as well as touch them. This anime is seriously deep on the philosophical side, to the point where each of the seven movies has an underlying theme that can be fun to figure out - if you are the intellectual type. For the more traditional anime fan, these are the most beautifully done anime movies made in the last few years, with a dark ambiance that has made me put this up as my favorite anime of all time. As a warning, the level of violence, the darkness of the themes, and the sheer amount of blood in this series of movies is on an entirely different level with what is generally put out nowadays, so if you have a weak stomach... As a final warning, this series will not translate well to dubs, so if it ever does get licensed, don't defile it by watching it that way. I can't think of another series that would translate as badly to dubs... for that matter, even the best subs will still be lacking some detail. ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=7472

feza
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Re: Anime: Hidden Jewels

Postby feza » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:53 am

The last one sounds interesting :) the rest isen't really my style. I'm more into the romance anime as Clannad, Air, Kanon, Ef and so on.

well i think you have watched most of these since most of you seems to be really big geeks XD

Eden of the East - The yeas is 2010 and a naked guy shows up in front of the white house, while a girls is trying to throw a few cents into the funtane infront of the white house. Well the boy (21 yeas old), have lost his memory, and the only thing he has is a phone with 8 million yen on. This is given to him by a man called mr. outsider, there is 12 people with a phone like this and there task is to save Japan. at the same time Tokey has been attacked by missiles but since no one died, everyone stopped careing.
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/eden-of-the-east

Eve no Jikan/time of eve - in the future robots/androids live along with humans as servents, since theres no visual way to se the differents between robot and humans, the androids have to show a ring above their head. most people think that the androids cant act on their own will but one day rikuo finds out that his android have been doning some wierd, he desides to follow her and find the cafe "time of eve" where robots and humans are even.
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/eve-no-jikan

sola - The boy Yorito is obsessed with the sky, he skips class and the only thing his interested in is taking pictures of the sky. One day he meets a girl who shares his interest, but fate makes it that she is a Yaka -- a “woe of the night.” well she desides to move in with him and the story begins
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/sola

Spice and Wolf - The traveling merchant Lawrance Craft, meets the saged wolf horo. She is a wolf who live in the corn and loves alcohol. Lawrance promis her that he will travel with her to her homeland in the north.
the anime focus alot on economy and merchant, buying and selling techniques.
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/spice-and-wolf

Welcome to the NHK! - well every neet in here knows it XD
this is about a neet and a girl who want to save him
there no need to say anymore, if you haven't seen et go watch it now !!
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/welcome-to-the-nhk

sorry i know this is kind of mainstreem anime's but i really love em, so i here by recommend em XD

soundmonkey44
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby soundmonkey44 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:52 am

Spice & wolf??? More like Medieval Economics with premiscous wolf girl! lol! I kid, but their was lots of money talk in that show.

Deffinantly agree with Casshin Sins though...can't wait for Funi to release it stateside! :D

anywho mine would be.....

Claymore: A Story of a Female Knight Named Clare who Travels the land killing monsters known as Yoma, however to attain the power to defeat these monsters, one must become a claymore, A being that is part Human, Part Yoma, will clare be able to defeat the Scourge of the Yoma with out losing her own Humainty..One of the Few modern anime that does Female characters right, infact it has a mostly female lead, and Treats them no diffrent then a male hero would be treated, by far one of the best shonen series of the Y2K decade! (both the anime & manga rock!) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=7028

Case Closed(Detective Conan): Young Detective Jimmy Kudo is japans greatest Super sleuth, but one day while at the amusement park with his friend Rachel more, he wittnesses a Shady deal going down, just as he's about to bust the criminals he gets attacked from behind and given an experimental poisen, instead of dying the drug shrinks jimmy's body to that of a childs, now Jimmy under the Guise of Conan Edogawa must find out who the mean in black who shrank him are, all the while solving mysteries for..er I mean with Rachel's not so bright detective father Richard moore. rember with a Keen eye For Detail...ONE TRUTH PREVAILS!!! http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=454

and last but not least

Lupin III: Its basically James bond meets robin hood...why this series isn't popular in the US is beyond me...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=886
Fear Not The Darkness, Always Seek The Truth!

PhantomOfTheKnight
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby PhantomOfTheKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:26 am

Dragon Half; it's only a two-episode OVA, but it definitely isn't a waste of time.

spoonthehune
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby spoonthehune » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:28 am

soundmonkey44 wrote:Case Closed(Detective Conan): Young Detective Jimmy Kudo is japans greatest Super sleuth, but one day while at the amusement park with his friend Rachel more, he wittnesses a Shady deal going down, just as he's about to bust the criminals he gets attacked from behind and given an experimental poisen, instead of dying the drug shrinks jimmy's body to that of a childs, now Jimmy under the Guise of Conan Edogawa must find out who the mean in black who shrank him are, all the while solving mysteries for..er I mean with Rachel's not so bright detective father Richard moore. rember with a Keen eye For Detail...ONE TRUTH PREVAILS!!! http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=454

and last but not least

Lupin III: Its basically James bond meets robin hood...why this series isn't popular in the US is beyond me...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=886

I gotta agree with these two. They're both one of my favorites.

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:31 am

R.O.D
Armitage
Munto TV
Uta-Kata
RG Veda
Escaflowne
NieA Under 7
Crest of the Stars
Ichigo 100%
Magic Knight Rayearth
Silent Mobius

I hand-picked these from the list of series that I've seen throughout the years.

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:52 am

I honestly couldn't tell you which animes I watch are hidden gems are well known out there. I don't have many anime loving friends or live in a place where anime is talked about a lot. I only have like this place, which you guys aren't a casual anime audience and then I look around online for what there is, so when I come across something I have no idea if it's popular or not. Of course I know shows like Pokemon, Bleach, Dragon Ball Z, Death Note and a few others are widely known, but other than that I don't know.
<Kana> what the f*** have i been doing last year
<bloo> *shrugs*
<bloo> doing your sister?
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

zatrox
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby zatrox » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:55 am

Welcome to the NHK. Nuff said.
I dunno if The Place Promised In Our Early Days counts as well..
And gotta agree with ya on Kara no Kyoukai.
I also would put Bokurano here but after reading the manga...the anime seems just too much fail.
Oh ya, and also Kaiji.
Last edited by zatrox on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
四百二儒十燃やせ
[21:15:19] <zatrox> what the fuck is wrong with you, vampko
[21:15:23] <CirnoThe9> EVERYTHING

PhantomOfTheKnight
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby PhantomOfTheKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:55 am

bloodyaftertaste wrote:I honestly couldn't tell you which animes I watch are hidden gems are well known out there. I don't have many anime loving friends or live in a place where anime is talked about a lot. I only have like this place, which you guys aren't a casual anime audience and then I look around online for what there is, so when I come across something I have no idea if it's popular or not. Of course I know shows like Pokemon, Bleach, Dragon Ball Z, Death Note and a few others are widely known, but other than that I don't know.

:| :shock: :o :? :|

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:56 am

PhantomOfTheKnight wrote:
bloodyaftertaste wrote:I honestly couldn't tell you which animes I watch are hidden gems are well known out there. I don't have many anime loving friends or live in a place where anime is talked about a lot. I only have like this place, which you guys aren't a casual anime audience and then I look around online for what there is, so when I come across something I have no idea if it's popular or not. Of course I know shows like Pokemon, Bleach, Dragon Ball Z, Death Note and a few others are widely known, but other than that I don't know.

:| :shock: :o :? :|

Wait? What is with the faces?
<bloo> *shrugs*
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

PhantomOfTheKnight
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby PhantomOfTheKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:58 am

.....Dragon Ball Z?

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 am

Honestly, I wouldn't say we're any more hardcore than the average anime fan. If something catches your eye, you're going to find out more about that particular series. That's how I started out, and I think most of us you would consider such have done the same. So it's not a conspiracy. I don't consider myself all-knowing.

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:03 am

odinfan wrote:

Honestly, I wouldn't say we're any more hardcore than the average anime fan. If something catches your eye, you're going to find out more about that particular series. That's how I started out, and I think most of us you would consider such have done the same. So it's not a conspiracy. I don't consider myself all-knowing.

Then I guess I don't understand the concept of this thread. Wouldn't it just be good animes we think others should watch? And again i don't have anime friends in real life so I don't know the kinds of things most people have seen and what is considered a hidden jewel.
<bloo> *shrugs*
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

PhantomOfTheKnight
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby PhantomOfTheKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:05 am

...I think the thread hints at underrated animes.

odinfan
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby odinfan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 am

Nothing is underrated.... that's just a perception people have. This may seem true on one side, but there's probably a larger fanbase for said show than you may think.

Return to “General Anime Chat”