Anime: Hidden Jewels

Forum for talking about general anime topics.
bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Anime: Hidden Jewels

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:27 am

noexcusepunk wrote:
bloodyaftertaste wrote:
I have seen the original of this [Hellsing], but not Ultimate. Has anyone seen them both to give a comparison? I've heard that Ultimate isn't as good, they got rid of some story parts to show more action. That less of Seras for more Alacard.

You got it! And not only that, the timing that was very well done in terms of when things heated up for action and cooled down for story is all over the place now, just leaving you confused if you've seen the original and just eventually either turning it off in disgust or mind numbingly watching it thinking "oooo, look at all the pretty colors."
It IS very pretty, but the story has become so convoluted its' essentially one giant fight scene like X the OVA.

So I'm really not missing out if I never see this then?
<Kana> what the f*** have i been doing last year
<bloo> *shrugs*
<bloo> doing your sister?
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

noexcusepunk
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby noexcusepunk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Pretty much, :lol:
Unless you just have to watch it for completionist sake.
"<Kana> can't you see how manly it is to hug kids to your crotch!?"

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:00 pm

I don't need to watch a lesser version which might ruin the experience of the show as a whole just to say that I've seen it. So I'll just stick with the regular.
<bloo> *shrugs*
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

shadowflux1
Majin
Majin

Postby shadowflux1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:21 pm

Well I thought it went well as an ova, sure its different but thats kinda the point. even if people here dont, I enjoy it fully. think of it as an accompanyment or spinoff if you need to. after all its called OVA for a reason, to set it apart from the origional.
Lovebar made by Rarutos

bloodyaftertaste
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby bloodyaftertaste » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:18 am

shadowflux1 wrote:Well I thought it went well as an ova, sure its different but thats kinda the point. even if people here dont, I enjoy it fully. think of it as an accompanyment or spinoff if you need to. after all its called OVA for a reason, to set it apart from the origional.

Did you see the original? And if you did which did you see first?
<bloo> *shrugs*
<Kana> wow, bloo
<Kana> just wow

shadowflux1
Majin
Majin

Postby shadowflux1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 pm

I watched the entire original series before i even found out about the ova.

To add another theres a korean animated movie I saw recently called "Yobi the five tailed fox"
Lovebar made by Rarutos

B4ULoveShine
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby B4ULoveShine » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:29 pm

I can't believe that old school anime don't get mentioned. Specifically, this trio of Go Nagai works:

Mazinger Z -- the gold standard of humongous mecha, it started the Super Robot genre in anime.

Cutey Honey -- it actually inspired a lot of the magical girls like Sailor Moon, alongside every single thing that is associate with magical girls: transformation sequences, Pre-transformation speeches, and action girls in anime.

Devilman -- straight from Go Nagai's own nightmares, this is arguably the anime incarnation of nightmare fuel.

And guess from which anime studio they came from? (Hint: the same one that gave us St. Seiya, Voltron, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Digimon, to name a few)
Same dude on YT, FC, Twitter.

PS: Feel free to call me Tim.

StarMasayume
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby StarMasayume » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:16 pm

I'll back up Eden of the East and Spice and Wolf. I wouldn't say any of the below are hidden per say, but either vaguely unknown or not man people have seen or taken notice of.

Serei no Moribito (Gaurdian of the Sacred Spirit) - I don't see much talk or notice of this series even though I was amazed they aired it on Cartoon Network. I fell in love with it long before and have gone through a marathon of it by myself, with two friends, and even both my parents like it so I've been re-watching it again. The animation is beautiful, the characters three-dimensional, and the setting and circumstances and politics all quite believable even with its fantasy elements. This is one I'll eventually get all my friends to watch.

Mushishi - Another odd one out that people may be starting to hear about but not enough have taken the time to watch. It's a beautiful series, simple pleasing character designs against lush backgrounds with vastly imaginative mushi that effect the world and people and just as many different ways. It's a very calm and soothing anime focusing on a wondering Mushi master in his travels. Each episode stands with its own story from each place he visits, sometimes the stories end happy, sometimes sad, sometimes indifferent but it always leaves a feeling behind.

The Twelve Kingdoms - Sounds like a typical scenario, girl transported to another world but is anything but. The Twelve Kingdoms is full of politics, corruption, people neither good nor bad, youma,talking half-beasts, and an intricate realm that makes the real world seem the odd one. It's such an in depth world and story and there are no characters are stagnant and often go through huge changes. I've noticed a trend, both this series and Moribito were based off of fantasy novel series... so maybe that has carried into the anime enough to really make them stand apart.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Well everyone -I- know has seen this series... but that's probably because I've gotten them to watch it (ah the privilege of hosting an anime club... ) Even my dad watched this series twice and I can't even say how many times I've watched it with different people. It's always fun no matter how many times you see it, even the old-school quality about it has its charm.

Clephas
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Clephas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:28 pm

I'll add another... Shion no Ou, being a combo between a murder mystery and something like Hikaru no Go (with a female main character and less stench of shounen). I honestly enjoyed that series a great deal...

Nijuu Mensou no Musume (The Daughter of Twenty Faces) is an anime done in an older style - similar to Big O's animation style (without the big robots) about a thief that kidnaps a girl named Chizuko, who is being poisoned by her aunt and teaches her how to live.

LordGeo
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby LordGeo » Thu May 13, 2010 4:29 am

Ring ni Kakero 1 - I'll just let my video review speak for itself: Part 1 & Part 2. It's just such a fun show to sit down and watch. I can definitely say that this show is "hidden", as I'm normally the only one to really talk about it.

PerryComo
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby PerryComo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:07 pm

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

Return to “General Anime Chat”