Sequel

Official Z.H.P. forum for discussions (and to defeat Darkdeath Evilman)
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Sequel

Postby Seventh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Hypothetically, should N1 ever want to make a sequel to ZHP (or just branch out the universe it started)... what would you want to see in it?

Personally, I'd like:
- longer story mode
- a protagonist that speaks/has a name/etc.
- to go with that, a larger cast
- even more things to do and dungeons to explore

Beyond that, what would really be great would be a reskinned Disgaea (maybe for PSP) using ZHP humor and "hero" class types (Rangers, Riders, Magical Girls, Caped Crusaders, and so on) but that's probably little more than a pipe dream.

What about you guys?

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Sequel

Postby vampko » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:15 pm

They could keep it still mostly unvoiced, but let you choose between a male/female. Plus, I prefer to be able to name the main character. I don't think main characters really need names. In real life I get by just fine without saying someone's actual name.

A longer story wouldn't be bad, but the normal story wasn't short. All I really want is what I talked about first, and for it to be a console game this time.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Orliatzu
Majin
Majin

Postby Orliatzu » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:27 am

For me the story could either be the same length or a bit longer, but I was fine with the length of the first one to be honest. I would like to see more zany special attacks. One gripe I had about the first game is that it wasn't practical to use special attacks for dungeon crawling except for showiness. I would like adjustments to be made to perhaps make the penalty for using the special attacks a bit less stringent so I could use them in my adventures without feeling like I'm gonna regret using it later.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:13 am

vampko wrote:They could keep it still mostly unvoiced, but let you choose between a male/female. Plus, I prefer to be able to name the main character. I don't think main characters really need names. In real life I get by just fine without saying someone's actual name.

Well, yeah, but then we wouldn't have characters like Laharl and Adell, we'd have "you (he)" and "you (she)" and whatnot. Having another silent protag, unless it got really reworked, would just feel like they were reusing the same schtick from the first one.

vampko wrote:A longer story wouldn't be bad, but the normal story wasn't short. All I really want is what I talked about first, and for it to be a console game this time.

Oh, I know it wasn't THAT short, but it was so good it just leaves you longing for more, you know? There certainly wasn't much story to the post-game, at any rate.

I dunno about making it a console game though... Part of ZHP's appeal is that it's an epic dungeon crawler you can play on the go, that you can pause anywhere anytime and all of that. Would that work as well on a console?

Orliatzu wrote:For me the story could either be the same length or a bit longer, but I was fine with the length of the first one to be honest. I would like to see more zany special attacks. One gripe I had about the first game is that it wasn't practical to use special attacks for dungeon crawling except for showiness. I would like adjustments to be made to perhaps make the penalty for using the special attacks a bit less stringent so I could use them in my adventures without feeling like I'm gonna regret using it later.

Actually, once I got the hang of them and SP management, special attacks (mostly long range ones) I found were really useful. Certainly a lot moreso than compared to dragging in/keeping a gun.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:59 am

I found special attacks quite useful as well. But, I really don't want to be stuck as Adell or Mao. I want to feel like I'm playing this as myself (sort of), so the silent protagonist is a great way to achieve that.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:57 am

I guess that's fair. My main worry is with another silent protagonist, the same jokes/dialogue will get re-used or redone over and over, whereas with a protagonist with a personality, things could go a little differently, and we might get some more depth to a protagonist that way, given the kinds of things that go on here - I really would like to see what kind of person our hero might have been, for instance, given everything he's been through.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:48 am

Seventh wrote:I guess that's fair. My main worry is with another silent protagonist, the same jokes/dialogue will get re-used or redone over and over, whereas with a protagonist with a personality, things could go a little differently, and we might get some more depth to a protagonist that way, given the kinds of things that go on here - I really would like to see what kind of person our hero might have been, for instance, given everything he's been through.

Well, in P3, I really felt like the protag had personality, so if they did something similar to that, it could turn out well. Where the protag isn't completely silent, but doesn't actually have a vocal line outside of combat.
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Oh, sure, that's a completely different kind of silent protag. SMT's silent protags do pretty well as far as personality goes most of the time - heck, having choices and dialogue like that would open up a whole new kind of "silent protag" themed joke. It'd allow for multiple endings too, if they wanted to go that far.

stealth20k
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby stealth20k » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:52 pm

a sequel is a when scenerio, not if
Twitter - @Stealth___

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:59 pm

You seem really sure of that.

Not that that's a bad thing, but I would have thought the same for Makai Kingdom back in the day. Can I ask where your confidence comes from?

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 am

... You know, in hindsight.

I'm not sure if I want a true sequel. Maybe another hero game, sure, but I just don't know if N1 could pull off something that could top the first game in terms of story. It mixed seriousness and humor so WELL that, unless it just redid EVERYTHING with the same characters (or used them all again in a new scenario), I can't imagine what they would do next.

Of course, a speaking protagonist could potentially change everything, as could different mentor figures, but... even so...

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Interesting point. I kind of agree. At the very least, it would need to be different characters.
Spoiler:

DarkPrier
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby DarkPrier » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:19 am

I kind of want a party system.

It has been done in most of these types of games before, and it does work so they need to do it.

I wanted to have at least Etranger in my party during the game, if not Pirohiko as well.

DarkAdonis
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby DarkAdonis » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 am

So obsessed with this game right now.

But what I would really love, would be for a sequel to be a full fleshed rpg. A sort of Anti-Disgaea, if you will. Maybe that'd be too much for the people who enjoyed it as a rogue-like, but I'd really love to be able to mess around with a whole party of "heroes."

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:31 pm

As opposed to a sequel, what about a spinoff? That way the sequel could still be a proper roguelike and the spinoff can RPG it away.

Also, I'd hardly call it the Anti-Disgaea. It would be, if anything, Disgaea with heroes. It certainly has all the same humor and charm.

Return to “Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman”