Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Someone stole Etna's panties!!

Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby Galvendrius » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:38 am

I have been looking forward to this game for a long time. I have even pre-ordered it.To my shock and dismay I have found quite a few text errors in the game but that can be forgiven. The quality of the voices, however, cannot. I was heart-broken to hear how bad the voice-acting is... its literally stomach twisting. Considering NISA voice-work was always top-notch I never would have expected this. Not only is it bad but the recording quality is low. There are often 'pops' and 'crackles' in the sound, sometimes the text and voice dialog don't match or the text is just all-together missing, Every single one of Asagis lines are spoken in a monotone and actually sound like they're being read from a script, Laharls laugh from his new (crappy) voice sounds like something that would come out of a cheap electronic Halloween decoration. I have to actually play with the sound off.

Even if it costs; I can only HOPE NISA puts the Japanese voice pack on PSN for download (though, I have high doubts). I'm torn between wanting to play and wanting to NOT hear the voices... I would do pretty much anything right now to have the Japanese voices in the English version or English text in the Japanese version.

I'm really disappointed.... :cry:
Galvendrius
New Vassal
New Vassal
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:38 am

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:21 am

I know exactly how you feel, I am really disappointed too, I actually found myself crying violently the day before Christmas after I had unlocked Prinny Laharl, worst day I have had in a long time.

I have heard the reasons for the bad sound quality was because NISA used an anime dubbing studio instead of the one they normally use, to save money I guess and the change of voices was because of union and legal issues.

And you are right, to have kept the Japanese track would have been a better move.
Image
Disgaea Light Novels and Artbooks Localization supporter!
Learn more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gaeaNovels

My deviantart: http://maharl.deviantart.com/
User avatar
LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:58 am

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby Judgment8 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Yes. I've played two stages so far and the voice acting is... well it's the reason why I don't really feel like playing the game. Hate to say this but NISA really blew this one up.

R.I.P the real Hero Prinny VA ;_;
Image
User avatar
Judgment8
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:10 am
Location: ЈμđğЖέиґ8

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby Kari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Prinny sounds absolutely fine to me, and I haven't heard anything wrong with the quality. My friend thought the same thing.

Just saying this to show that not EVERYONE is displeased and whining over it. They won't be putting any Japanese voices on for download, anyway.
Image
Lovebar by Rarutos
User avatar
Kari
Geo Master
Geo Master
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby soundmonkey44 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Whine whine whine, yea the dub is lazy compared to the other games but oh well, I didn't mind ruff making etna sound older. And the voices don't affect the gameplay, so yea... On the bright side I'm sure they won't be cheap on disgaea 4 lol.
Fear Not The Darkness, Always Seek The Truth!
User avatar
soundmonkey44
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: The Netherverse

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby Chizu » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:06 pm

But Disgaea 4 will have the advantage of having its original language audio anyway.
It always saddened me that Prinny never gave a choice on the audio language, and looks like it will also be the case for 2.
I play every NIS game with the original audio, shame I cannot do that here.
Was it really necessary to remove the japanese, when they manage to retain it in every other game :/
Image
User avatar
Chizu
Geo Master
Geo Master
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:32 am
Location: UK

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby Judgment8 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:27 am

Kari wrote:and I haven't heard anything wrong with the quality.

O RLY? I dunno about you but when you finish a stage the whiny sounding Prinny says "Wow, you're genius, dood!" or something like that and you can clearly hear "pops" and "crackles" in the sound. And that's just an example...

So yeah I'm being completely honest that this game does not only have a bad voice acting but also a bad recording quality. Bad + bad = even worse.

Another thing I notice is that the "info" messages have a really weird text layout:
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Judgment8
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:10 am
Location: ЈμđğЖέиґ8

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby Kari » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:23 am

Chizu wrote:Was it really necessary to remove the japanese, when they manage to retain it in every other game :/


This is a PSP game, which have even less of a chance to have dual audio due to the size of the UMD/downloadable game file. Still surprises me that Atlus was able to fit both tracks on for Riviera, even if you had to choose as you loaded the game and couldn't switch on the fly.

Judgment8 wrote:O RLY? I dunno about you but when you finish a stage the whiny sounding Prinny says "Wow, you're genius, dood!" or something like that and you can clearly hear "pops" and "crackles" in the sound. And that's just an example...


The sound effects/music typically play louder than the voice, so no, I don't hear it.
Image
Lovebar by Rarutos
User avatar
Kari
Geo Master
Geo Master
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby Judgment8 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 am

Kari wrote:
Chizu wrote:Was it really necessary to remove the japanese, when they manage to retain it in every other game :/


This is a PSP game, which have even less of a chance to have dual audio due to the size of the UMD/downloadable game file. Still surprises me that Atlus was able to fit both tracks on for Riviera, even if you had to choose as you loaded the game and couldn't switch on the fly.

... The maximum size of the UMD is somewhere around 1.8GB and Prinny 2 takes about 670MB space, so free space was not an issue.

Kari wrote:
Judgment8 wrote:O RLY? I dunno about you but when you finish a stage the whiny sounding Prinny says "Wow, you're genius, dood!" or something like that and you can clearly hear "pops" and "crackles" in the sound. And that's just an example...


The sound effects/music typically play louder than the voice, so no, I don't hear it.

Oh, well, good for you then.
Image
User avatar
Judgment8
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:10 am
Location: ЈμđğЖέиґ8

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:24 am

I know very well that sound does not make a game, neither does presentation, but these kinds of things mean a lot to me because I not just a fan of this games because of the gameplay, in NIS game I usually love the whole package, I love the characters, the dialog, the humor, the style, the music, and voice acting has always been pretty top notch in my opinion, and for it now to suddenly fall flat on its face like this really rubs me the wrong.

I especially disappointed that a game that is so close to the Disgaea series gets this treatment, because I adore the world of Disgaea, and the Prinny games are like an exploration of that world through the eyes of the creatures that are the lowest of the low in that world.

It is really disappointing to see Laharl’s voice get shafted in game so close to the Disgaea games as well, very unsettling. I mean he is even playable for the first time in a platform game related to Disgaea, not just a few seconds cameo like in Soul Nomad, if there was one cameo it was important to get his voice actress back it is this.

I also thought NISA was aware of that most of their fans preferred David to George as Prinny, I think people complained about it already back then Trinity Universe came out. I really think George was miscast for this one, I LOVE his Vyers and King Krichevskoy voice, but he is just not as funny as Prinny as David, George is just not as pathetic, he is too dignified for a Prinny.
Image
Disgaea Light Novels and Artbooks Localization supporter!
Learn more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gaeaNovels

My deviantart: http://maharl.deviantart.com/
User avatar
LordLaharlsVassal
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:58 am

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby Galvendrius » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:43 am

LordLaharlsVassal wrote:I know very well that sound does not make a game, neither does presentation, but these kinds of things mean a lot to me because I not just a fan of this games because of the gameplay, in NIS game I usually love the whole package, I love the characters, the dialog, the humor, the style, the music, and voice acting has always been pretty top notch in my opinion, and for it now to suddenly fall flat on its face like this really rubs me the wrong.

I especially disappointed that a game that is so close to the Disgaea series gets this treatment, because I adore the world of Disgaea, and the Prinny games are like an exploration of that world through the eyes of the creatures that are the lowest of the low in that world.

It is really disappointing to see Laharl’s voice get shafted in game so close to the Disgaea games as well, very unsettling. I mean he is even playable for the first time in a platform game related to Disgaea, not just a few seconds cameo like in Soul Nomad, if there was one cameo it was important to get his voice actress back it is this.

I also thought NISA was aware of that most of their fans preferred David to George as Prinny, I think people complained about it already back then Trinity Universe came out. I really think George was miscast for this one, I LOVE his Vyers and King Krichevskoy voice, but he is just not as funny as Prinny as David, George is just not as pathetic, he is too dignified for a Prinny.



This is exactly, word for word, how I feel. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Galvendrius
New Vassal
New Vassal
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:38 am

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby PSI Ground » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:14 pm

I honestly don't care. I just heard some, not that bad.

Even then, just turn off the voices.
PSI Ground
Peon
Peon
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby vampko » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:00 pm

An undub probably wouldn't be THAT hard to pull off...
Image
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
User avatar
vampko
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 am
Location: ⑨...

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby Judgment8 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:11 pm

PSI Ground wrote:Even then, just turn off the voices.

Yeah sure. Let's just turn off the voice and pretend that it wasn't there in the first place. Maybe the voice acting is not a big deal to some people but at least I don't want to spend my money on half-assed games.

Hell, I wouldn't even whine about this if it weren't for a game which I've been eagerly waiting and really, really like. Honestly NISA did an awesome job with the first Prinny game (I gladly even bought all the DLCs even though they were 4€ per stage, and FYI it's the only game I've bought DLC for) so of course I was relying that I would get the same quality and the same (or actually even better) "nostalgic" feeling with the second game.

I've never been so angry at NISA before. I'm so disappointed now, *sigh* words just can't describe it.
Image
User avatar
Judgment8
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:10 am
Location: ЈμđğЖέиґ8

Re: Oh, god! PLEASE! I plead on my knees for an undub!

Postby Chizu » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Judgment8 wrote:
Kari wrote:
Chizu wrote:Was it really necessary to remove the japanese, when they manage to retain it in every other game :/


This is a PSP game, which have even less of a chance to have dual audio due to the size of the UMD/downloadable game file. Still surprises me that Atlus was able to fit both tracks on for Riviera, even if you had to choose as you loaded the game and couldn't switch on the fly.

... The maximum size of the UMD is somewhere around 1.8GB and Prinny 2 takes about 670MB space, so free space was not an issue.


Indeed.
I really don't see why it had to be removed. Prinny 2 can't be much bigger than ZHP for example, and that has tons of spoken dialogue in it, and alot of content. Disgaea 2 DHD aswell.
Just seems odd to me that both Prinny games are the only ones that lost the Jap audio.
Image
User avatar
Chizu
Geo Master
Geo Master
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:32 am
Location: UK

Next

Return to Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest