Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 SISTERS GENERATION

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 SISTERS GENERATION

Postby Rednal » Sun May 31, 2015 10:14 am

*Raises hand*

Personally, I like Nick's localizations. I enjoyed all of the PS3 games because of what they were after localization, not for what they were in Japanese. I know that people have different tastes, and some might have preferred more/fewer/no changes to the script, but I tend to judge games only by how much fun I had... and I had a lot of fun.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun May 31, 2015 10:18 am

Rednal wrote:*Raises hand*

Personally, I like Nick's localizations. I enjoyed all of the PS3 games because of what they were after localization, not for what they were in Japanese. I know that people have different tastes, and some might have preferred more/fewer/no changes to the script, but I tend to judge games only by how much fun I had... and I had a lot of fun.
Which is a shortsighted line of logic that, while perfectly fair for the individual, adds absolutely nothing to a conversation about localization or the quality thereof for more than one's self, since it doesn't speak at all to whether or not you would have liked alternatives, just that you liked those things, so therefore they were fine.

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Sun May 31, 2015 10:20 am

well I had fun too, coz of Gameplay and stuff, but those hit or miss translations where he essentially gets a summary of what happens and de facto rewrites everything is plain annoying...

but if you play with EN voice you wont see an Issue...

imo those games should have and import script feature so fans can translate it and import it later
or crowdsource the translation and have the choice between a Nick Doerr-Like and and more serious localization...
I never intend to rant, insult anyone or anything like that. I just want to express my oppinion, and if I appeared so, sorry in advance.
Also if I am capsing, I either accidentially hit caps or I am too lazy for using bold bbcode (especially on phone)

KoopaTroopinski
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby KoopaTroopinski » Sun May 31, 2015 11:23 am

I'd like to point out that having beta testers doesn't guarantee that there won't be as many bugs/glitches on release.

One of my professors' friends beta tested a Mortal Kombat game (forgot which one) and created a list of 47 bugs/glitches to give to the programmers to fix.

Only 2 of them were fixed on release. :?

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Sun May 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Personally, I like Nick's localiza...

Don't even need to say anything. Everyone knows how you feel about Nisa's localizations :roll:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun May 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Yeah, I actually enjoy them!

...Except for AT2. :? But they admitted to the problems there.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sun May 31, 2015 6:27 pm

Rednal wrote:Yeah, I actually enjoy them!

You're not the only one.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun May 31, 2015 6:31 pm

On this board? I sure hope not. :lol:

Speaking of localizations, though, maybe I should try paying more attention to Re;Birth 3's and look for the differences...

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun May 31, 2015 6:32 pm

KoopaTroopinski wrote:I'd like to point out that having beta testers doesn't guarantee that there won't be as many bugs/glitches on release.

One of my professors' friends beta tested a Mortal Kombat game (forgot which one) and created a list of 47 bugs/glitches to give to the programmers to fix.

Only 2 of them were fixed on release. :?

Something I learned when I was a game tester. There are priority trees as to what gets fixed. Generally, if a game's close to release, unless you find a 90% reproduceable game-breaking bug, it's getting left alone (most of the time)
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sun May 31, 2015 6:47 pm

Yeah, as someone who does testing for a living, bugs go unfixed all the time. Often for years, should the product be actively fixed for long enough. Non-critical stuff is such a crapshot at getting fixed.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sun May 31, 2015 7:04 pm

Rednal wrote:On this board? I sure hope not. :lol:

As much as I'd like to say otherwise, it definitely doesn't feel like that at times.

Can barely say a thing in support without getting called a colorful variety of things sometimes. As easy enough it is to just shrug off, repeatedly getting called things like delusional, racist/xenophobic, part of the problem, etc. certainly does take its toll after long enough.

Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:07 am

Seventh wrote:

Which is a shortsighted line of logic that, while perfectly fair for the individual, adds absolutely nothing to a conversation about localization or the quality thereof for more than one's self, since it doesn't speak at all to whether or not you would have liked alternatives, just that you liked those things, so therefore they were fine.

Also, Rednal seems to be implying that she would hate it if it were too close to the original. Which in turn, is a contradiction to be a "fan" of said series in the first place.

Does this Nick Doerr guy have an online alias? Was he Lyner?

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:11 am

If he'd be it then i'd ban him just for being him if he would be on any site i administrate...
I mean, his "localizations" are more delusional than uzume...
I never intend to rant, insult anyone or anything like that. I just want to express my oppinion, and if I appeared so, sorry in advance.
Also if I am capsing, I either accidentially hit caps or I am too lazy for using bold bbcode (especially on phone)

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:18 am

@UNX: That's not quite correct. Allow me to try and clarify.

I do not play the Japanese versions of the games. I don't know what the contents of the Japanese scripts are, I don't know precisely how the characters originally behaved (other than making guesses by watching the expressions and listening to how they're speaking), and in general I have little or no familiarity with the Japanese versions except for understanding the basic plot of the game. When I play the localized versions, I also tend to keep English voices on, rather than switching to Japanese.

As far as my personal entertainment goes, the Japanese version might as well not exist, because it has basically no impact whatsoever on my experience. Obviously, this will be different for people who understand enough Japanese to comprehend the voices if that language is being used (or even import the game and have Japanese text as well).

Saying that the game is "close to" or "far from" the original game, therefore, means nothing to me. The original game is not a reference point for me because I did not experience it. I don't want the game to be similar to the original - nor do I want it to be different. Both of those suggestions imply that there's some standard I'm comparing the localization to - but that standard does not exist for me. The only thing I want is the best and most entertaining game possible. If that means significant revisions to the script, so be it. If that means keeping it amazingly close to the original, that's also fine. I don't care which it is as long as I'm having fun.

Despite all of this, I do recognize that other people may be more familiar with the Japanese version than I am - and probably have much stronger feelings about it. If they felt the original was great as-is, I think it's natural to want a localization that's similar to the original, rather than taking lots of creative liberties. As such, while I don't personally care either way, I basically lean towards supporting a "closer" localization for the benefit of the people who do care.

TL;DR: I'm not a fan of the Japanese versions of the games, I'm a fan of the localized versions - the ones I've actually played.

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:11 pm

As such, while I don't personally care either way, I basically lean towards supporting a "closer" localization for the benefit of the people who do care.

Wisest words I ever heard about this topic...

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”