Cho Jigen Action Neptune U announced

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Cho Jigen Action Neptune U announced

Postby vampko » Sun May 10, 2015 2:06 pm

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:"Neptunia" instead of "Neptune".

Legal issues. Neptune's still named "Neptune". It's just the game titles.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Sun May 10, 2015 3:51 pm

vampko wrote:

What legal issues?

If there were, wouldn't that also affect the character name as well?

FANSean
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby FANSean » Sun May 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:In essence, it's a Japanese game, you're getting into Japanese culture by playing it, whether or want it or realize it, don't be repelled by that.

For Ace Attorney, while the general plot itself might not deviate too much from the JP version, the dialogue, the character names, and the tone and lines of the characters (which is admitted by Janet Hsu herself), as well as details like localizations and items, make the series' localization a different kind of bad on a similar level of "Neptunia". And I still do not know what's the point of "Neptunia" instead of "Neptune".

Properly conveying information is a crucial game design element, and the localization's job is to make sure information is properly conveyed when translating. The names in Ace Attorney are a bunch of obtuse japanese puns/sayings/wordplay/whatever that make absolutely no sense to an english speaker. To properly convey this, the names have to be altered. If they aren't, then one major element of the game's storytelling is completely lost on the player unless they have Court Records or the Ace Attorney wiki on hand (Both of which run a risk of spoiling them) Were this some game where the name has no important meaning to convey, then fine, there's no need to change it. There's nuance to this and quite frankly, I find your absolutist mentality on the matter to be infuriating and pompous.

Also if I see that one screenshot from HDNU one more time I'm going to flip a fucking table because I don't need to see a 10 month old ouroborous of shitflinging and hatred and abuse bleed into the outlet for my escape from this garbage.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun May 10, 2015 6:39 pm

I think "experience" works more than "information" there. I used feeling before in my tl;dr, but thinking on it I think experience is a better word. Like, puns aren't really information per se, but they are part of an experience that localizing can help better bring over.

That doesn't so much apply to random pieces of dialogue that have no ties to references or a culture one way or the other though.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Sun May 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:
vampko wrote:

What legal issues?

If there were, wouldn't that also affect the character name as well?

No, someone is sitting on the rights to Neptune as a title in "entertainment" (these laws are way too broad), so NISA had to change the title. The contents of the game don't have to be changed.

IIRC, they shared that with us on the forum somewhere, so it should still be around.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun May 10, 2015 6:55 pm

Yeah, sounds about right. Something in copyright, I think. I'm not really bothered by it - actually, I think 'Neptunia' sounds better for the title anyway. XD
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Draxzelex
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby Draxzelex » Sun May 10, 2015 7:11 pm

So, uh, how 'bout this thread title? Maybe we shud change it so its accurate? Or you know we don't have to, just a suggestion...

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun May 10, 2015 7:19 pm

9 days!!

Really curious why people seem to unanimously not like Famitsu-chan. But I've held off on watching any playthroughs. Soon I shall learn!!

Hopefully I get my money's worth outta this. I also hear that it's pretty short (unless you go for the plat, but meh. That's not really my thing to do), so I'm a bit worried.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Sun May 10, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm guessing her design may have been a factor for some. Dem Sonic gloves and dat crown thing.

Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Sun May 10, 2015 7:34 pm

vampko wrote:Hopefully I get my money's worth outta this.

heh

I like Famitsu too.

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Sun May 10, 2015 7:36 pm

vampko wrote:Really curious why people seem to unanimously not like Famitsu-chan.

Is that so? While I don't really care much for her, I don't have anything else against her either. While I can see where her design might be a bit off, really reminds me of Ronald McDonald for some reason funnily enough, but overall she doesn't look bad at all.

Besides, I have something else I'm more concerned about regarding the game in general.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun May 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Seventh wrote:I'm guessing her design may have been a factor for some. Dem Sonic gloves and dat crown thing.

Design is DEFINITELY not a problem for me.

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:
vampko wrote:Hopefully I get my money's worth outta this.

heh

I like Famitsu too.

Well I haven't had the chance to experience her outside just looking at her design yet. Main complaint I seem to read is "she's boring". Funnily, that was what was levied against Gear in Mk2. I loved Gear in Mk2 (only beaten by my love for Uni <3). So, hopefully it's just more of that.
Spoiler:

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:58 pm

Rednal wrote:Yeah, sounds about right. Something in copyright, I think. I'm not really bothered by it - actually, I think 'Neptunia' sounds better for the title anyway. XD

Honestly, I'd like it better if they dropped the "Hyperdimension" part and just called it "Neptune [insert subtitle here]," but then again, I also have a thing for one word names. :P
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sun May 10, 2015 11:27 pm

Wdog-999 wrote:
Rednal wrote:Yeah, sounds about right. Something in copyright, I think. I'm not really bothered by it - actually, I think 'Neptunia' sounds better for the title anyway. XD

Honestly, I'd like it better if they dropped the "Hyperdimension" part and just called it "Neptune [insert subtitle here]," but then again, I also have a thing for one word names. :P

I'm fine with it being called Neptunia. It makes it easier to search on Google and dA.

Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Mon May 11, 2015 1:11 am

Porecomesis wrote:
Wdog-999 wrote:

I'm fine with it being called Neptunia. It makes it easier to search on Google and dA.

Because Chou Jigen is so hard? :?

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”