Cho Jigen Action Neptune U announced

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Cho Jigen Action Neptune U announced

Postby vampko » Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 am

I am rather enjoying this~

It definitely could use improvements in a lot of areas, but yet I'm still having lots of fun!

I'm falling in love with the candidates even more, and both Dengekiko and Famitsu are great~
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

xnobody13
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby xnobody13 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:07 am

I'm enjoying this title as well. My only major complaint so far was not with the game, but my Vita, since that recent software updating deleted my file because, well, because. I wasn't far, though, so there's that.
Spoiler:

kosmos
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby kosmos » Thu May 21, 2015 11:32 am

My LE was supposed to arrive yesterday, but somehow was out for delivery in a neighboring city. Which they then had to take back to the distribution center before it got to the wrong post office and has finally arrived at the post office where it should have been in the first place...

:evil:
Spoiler:

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Mon May 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Well then, now that I'm pretty much done with the game, some thoughts.

To begin, at the very least, I can honestly say that I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would. I went into the game with an extremely bleak outlook for a variety of reasons. It's no secret, given that I bring it up a tad too much, that I was really disappointed with "Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus" and had problem after problem with just about every aspect of that game. Learning that "Neptunia U" was basically a watered down version of that game really didn't help. But I persevered nonetheless, got to give it a chance at the very least.

Also, needless to say, expect a lot of "Shinovi Versus" comparisons.

Anyway, while on that, the description of the game being a watered down version is actually quite true and accurate. Compared to it, "Nep U" is definitely lacking in so many areas, even without being used as a comparison.

Outfit customization is basically nonexistent. Each character only have their default "Hyperdimension" outfit with 2 recolorings of it, including recolorings of their hair to match. But that's only for the CPUs, Dengekiko and Famitsu don't even get that and remain with only a single outfit to choose from. Even with DLC, everyone gets a swimsuit as well but that's it. There are also no accessories at all either. It's really quite disappointing and makes you wonder why the developers even bothered to include it.

The story is barely even there. I found it to be the most lackluster story out of every game so far by quite a bit. Characters get together, notice something is wrong, and go fight the enemy. Even in terms of character interactions and side events is really weak. There are a couple but they all are fairly self contained and short.

Not to mention the severe lack of much content. Outside of the story, there isn't really much to do. Heck, even in the story, the quests drag on despite being so short. There's the 1v1 character tournament mode and the 50-floor tower mode that you can go through but you still pretty much do the exact same thing you do in the quests in general. Kill everything to proceed pretty much.

This leads me to another major problem. The enemy AI is garbage. I know they are mostly just there for you to feel good beating up but this is just so bad. You can literally run between a large group of enemies and just wait there and not get attacked for a good while. I tested it and usually had to wait around 5-10 seconds before someone tried to attack. Worst was a solid 20 seconds.

But even with that, I still got hit sometimes somehow. Most of the time, I can't really say how either. Unless your character gets knocked back or paralyzed by the attack, your character doesn't flinch or anything. While not exactly a problem, it was still something I noticed now and then. Some better indication would have been nice.

And this leads to another problem. Since the AI is terrible, any difficulty that arose is simply artificial. Instead of having different types of enemies with different patterns or try to do stuff like surround you...any difficulty comes from their stats getting increased. At times, to a stupidly high level where everything is just tedious. While overall, the game is stupid easy, there are a couple times where you get blindsided for little to no good reason. The "hard" quests that were added are the perfect example of this. Enemies have way too much health and can one shot you with 2-3 hits (if not just 1). I had a situation where I ended up getting my character combo'd to death by a group of 6-7 boss enemies with large sweeping attacks in a rather small room, the partner spawned, and then she died instantly from the same string of combos since there were no safe zones. It's not really hard, but it gets stupidly frustrating for no real good reason.

Comparing it with "Shinovi Versus" a bit, a good number of mechanics were either simplified or removed entirely. There is no longer a chase mechanic (and everything related to that is gone), sprinting is gone, there are only 2 forms for each character instead of 3 with a much smaller cast, no destructible environmental elements, less pick-ups (only 1 which recovers some health and SP), no lock-on, different forms don't have individual levels, less enemy variety (despite there being more skins for them) and enemy tactics, so on and so forth.

But personally, even with that, while "Shinovi Versus" might be the better overall game objectively...I rather enjoyed "Nep U" a whole heck of a lot more in general. A lot of the problems I had with that game are mostly gone here, even with the simplification. Heck, that's probably why thinking about it. Many of the problems I had with the mechanics were how unpolished they were and, at least for me, how they bumbled over each other. I am disappointed that they proceeded to just remove/simply them instead of working on and improving them here though. There was nothing inherently wrong with most of the mechanics, they just needed more work and some polish.

Anyway, the game is also a lot more subdued in the sexual fanservice department which I found to be a good thing since it got particularly obnoxious in "Shinovi Versus". For one, the characters can actually move around without constantly getting their panties stuffed in your face. Needless to say the breast situation fared better as well. Not everyone has stupidly large breasts constantly shoved in the screen either and there is way less Gainaxing, even with Vert being there. Though Famitsu has an odd amount of bounce for some reason. Even the entire clothing break system is optional since you can get "hard" versions which can't get destroyed.

In a way, even with the clothes break system, it's handled better as well. The characters aren't forced to just their underwear. Some of them still have remnants and scraps of their outfits. Heck, even before the clothing actually breaks, you can see them get some tears in places. So in a way, it's still better here due to the extra detailing. But I do have one very minor complaint that was never fixed from the previews that I noticed. Either out of ignorance or laziness, Neptune is still missing her top (the one she wears under the sweater).

Anyway, the animation in general seems to be rather smoother as well and since gameplay doesn't constantly get interrupted by cutscenes from clothing breaks and specials...the entire experience is a lot more seamless from one situation to another.

And it's not like there weren't any added mechanics either. Both the SP and EXE gauges make an appearance. The EXE gauge in particular is used for ultimates and transforming. This is another difference I liked. In "Shinovi Versus", once you transform...that's it. You are stuck with it for the rest of the stage. Here, you can still go back and forth. And with the help of cheats, it's even easier to manage and allows you more flexibility if needed in certain situations.

Not to mention equipment is an actual thing. Despite there only being 3 weapons total (4 for the main 4 CPUs if you include DLC), they do at least offer some variety and even change the model of the weapons they use in battle. Then there are the accessories of sorts, you can equip any 3 at a time, that allow you to build each character however you want. Glass cannons, tanks, prolonged transformations, special spammers, etc. It's a nice extra little bit of detail.

And of course, being a fan of the series, seeing everything integrated into this kind of game is rather neat. I mentioned some time before how neat it is seeing some of the attacks from the games here in one way or another. And as a bonus, some of the choreography of the attacks I found to be better than their counterparts from the other games. In general, the animation detailing of how the characters move and attack is probably the best out of the entire series. Even if this was slightly expected giving the genre of game, it's still very nice to see.

So yeah, overall, I did actually enjoy the game. For me personally, it's a bit below "Hyperdevotion Noire", probably even below "PP" despite that not having any real gameplay to speak of. While it was just as enjoyable as those games at times, the severe lack of content and some pretty bad design decisions really dragged it down. Like with "PP", unless you are a fan of the series or if you can get the game for fairly cheap...I can't really bring myself to recommend it to anyone.

Also, for the record. I ended up liking Famitsu more than Dengekiko by quite a bit. Didn't expect that one. Just wish her weapon wasn't so silly though.

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Mon May 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Well I prefer dengekiko since she is one if the 4 characters who can literally eternally spam attacks (purple heart, sister, uni and transformed dengekiko)
I never intend to rant, insult anyone or anything like that. I just want to express my oppinion, and if I appeared so, sorry in advance.
Also if I am capsing, I either accidentially hit caps or I am too lazy for using bold bbcode (especially on phone)

Kresnik
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Kresnik » Mon May 25, 2015 3:26 pm

I've enjoyed this game loads. A lot more than I was expecting. Got me very excited to see what they do with the new Zombie Army game (honestly, I'd take more of Nep U with a larger roster of characters).

It's simple fun, but it really is fun and I had a great time just mashing through hordes of enemies with super attacks. Character balance isn't there though... Uni for me was just legions ahead of anyone else, due to the fact she could fill her SP gauge so rapidly.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue May 26, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm starting to feel the CPU focus....

And it's dragging things for me.

I have fun when it's the Candidates/DenMitsu. When it starts being all about the CPUs though, I start to just read, instead of listen to waht they have to say. Which is a strong sign of me getting bored.

If it hadn't have been advertised like there were two stories, then I wouldn't have had a problem. But it was. And it's not. And ugh...

Spoiler:
Just put on my Maximize Kit S, and am going to blaze through quests.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Tue May 26, 2015 6:52 pm

vampko wrote:If it hadn't have been advertised like there were two stories, then I wouldn't have had a problem. But it was.

It was?
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Tue May 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Daverost wrote:
vampko wrote:If it hadn't have been advertised like there were two stories, then I wouldn't have had a problem. But it was.
It was?
I don't think I remember this either.

kosmos
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby kosmos » Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 pm

vampko wrote:I'm starting to feel the CPU focus....

And it's dragging things for me.

I have fun when it's the Candidates/DenMitsu. When it starts being all about the CPUs though, I start to just read, instead of listen to waht they have to say. Which is a strong sign of me getting bored.

If it hadn't have been advertised like there were two stories, then I wouldn't have had a problem. But it was. And it's not. And ugh...

Spoiler:
Just put on my Maximize Kit S, and am going to blaze through quests.

lol Can't imagine it being that hard to keep things even... :lol:
Spoiler:

Leon Tekashi
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Leon Tekashi » Tue May 26, 2015 10:05 pm

Just saying from my own perspectives. I too don't remember them saying that there will be two stories in HDN U.
Spoiler:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed May 27, 2015 6:16 am

Looks like you guys are right....I should never have bought this...

May as well finish it out now that I have it I guess...
Spoiler:

Kresnik
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Kresnik » Thu May 28, 2015 2:03 pm

So... can anyone tell me how to beat the "studious pair" quest (Noire + Dengekiko). The enemies aren't taking any damage and I don't know how to make them take any damage.

Also, how do you unlock the other two game news events? I've seen all the events where Dengekiko/Famitsu give you the unbreakable clothes, but I haven't unlocked any of the others.

Cheers!

My1xT
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby My1xT » Thu May 28, 2015 2:05 pm

did you also try SP Skills, EXE Drive Main and EXE Pair Skills? some opponents just take DAmage in a certain way...
I never intend to rant, insult anyone or anything like that. I just want to express my oppinion, and if I appeared so, sorry in advance.
Also if I am capsing, I either accidentially hit caps or I am too lazy for using bold bbcode (especially on phone)

Kresnik
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Kresnik » Thu May 28, 2015 2:13 pm

My1xT wrote:did you also try SP Skills, EXE Drive Main and EXE Pair Skills? some opponents just take DAmage in a certain way...

I tried SP skills, which did nothing. I can't fill EXE Drive at all because none of the enemies are taking any damage and it doesn't seem to be moving.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”