The Hyperdimension Neptunia Unpopularity SHOWDOWN!

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

The Hyperdimension Neptunia Unpopularity SHOWDOWN!

Postby Seventh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Considering how character polls and popularity contests seem to be rapidly becoming ingrained into this series' lore and community (not only do we have two fantastic ones running on these boards at this very moment, but a totally-not-rigged-at-all one related to Neptunia U just ran in which Dengekiko took home the first prize title! and that's not even touching on how often they get brought up in the main series), you have to really wonder...

Sure, we know what people love Noire (apparently), and sure, Dengekiko is apparently the greatest character in the history of characters since Neo from the Matrix, and the other goddesses are pretty popular stuff... but what about the the unpopular characters? What about those other characters? They're still part of the series, but gosh, do we love to hate/dislike/feel nothing in particular towards them! But who do we neglect the most? Don't you want to know?

Well, for the approval of the Nepnight Society, I present to you this:

The First Ever Hyperdimension Neptunia Unpopularity SHOWDOWN! The one competition where the winners are actually the losers!

So how does it work? Well, it's simple! Taking from the list of characters (up to Victory at least), you will select characters you want to lose points (the amount of characters you pick will vary based on the round and how long this goes for - if we get a clear winner right away, then no need to go further, y'know? :lol:), then a single character who you can show your support for by sending them your love and support. It wouldn't be a game if all this was was a popularity contest in reverse, after all, and this is meant to very much be a fun game! So think wisely about how you cast that positive!

As for that list of characters? It's simple, really! CPUs and other dupes (like Rei, IF, and Compa) include their alternate and HDD selves in one package, because like it or not, they're all the same girl at the end of the day - on the other hand, characters like Ultra Falcom (and New-Neptune, if she were eligible) get a pass for being different enough from their counterpart. Beyond that, every character that has appeared in the localized games and was worthy of multiple portraits with distinct personalities (so we don't all cheat and vote NPCs like Zack Unfair) is eligible to be voted for, so go wild!

Now, without further delay, here are the characters that you can give allll your hate to!
Spoiler:
Neptune: 0
Noire: 0
Blanc: 0
Vert: 0
Nepgear: 0
Uni: 0
Rom: 0
Ram: 0
Plutia: 0
Peashy: 0
Histoire: 0
Kei: 0
Mina: 0
Chika: 0
IF: 0
Compa: 0
Nisa: 0
Gust: 0
5pb.: 0
RED: 0
Falcom: 0
Cave: 0
Broccoli: 0
Cyberconnect2: 0
MAGES.: 0
MarvelousAQL: 0
Tekken: 0
Ultra Falcom:
Arfoire: 0
Underling/Linda: 0
Pirachu: 0
CFW Brave: 0
CFW Judge: 0
CFW Trick: 0
CFW Magic: 0
Anonydeath: 0
Rei: 0
Mr. Badd: 0
Copypaste: 0
Abnes: 0
Croire: 0

If I missed anyone that should apply to the rules I set forward above, feel free to point them out and that character will be added post-haste!

For the first round, we'll do some division to figure out votes out: There are roughly 40 characters available to choose from, so for this round, you can pick five characters that you want to subtract one point from and then one that you can add two points to. Anyone with zero or more points by the end of the first round is eliminated, and then we'll start fresh in the next round with the characters who were in the negatives! We want losers only in this game!

But wait! There's more! During each round, for one round only, we'll also be holding a Bonus Round! This is a special, shorter Unpopularity Contest that doesn't effect your entry for the main event in any way, and will close at the first round's end, to be replaced with a new bonus round. In this mini-contest, you pick one character to get one point, and the rest all lose a point!

And our first bonus round is... The Original CPUs!

So, confused? Well, not to worry! Here is how a response to this crazy thing should look:

Spoiler:
"My Entry in the Contest, By Ram"
Main
-1 Neptune
-1 Vert
-1 Noire
-1 Uni
-1 Nepear
+2 Rom

Bonus
-1 Vert
-1 Noire
-1 Neptune
+1 Blanc

Simple, right? I'll post my own entry later on if you're not clear, but hopefully that's a good enough example.

Also, it goes without saying, but you can't vote for a character more than once per round, and you have to use all of your votes if you want to take part.

Now, let the games begin!
Last edited by Seventh on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: The First Ever Hyperdimension Neptunia Unpopularity Cont

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Main: -1 applied to the 4 CFWs and Gust.
Main: +2 applied to Histoire.

Bonus: +1 applied to Blanc.

Spoiler:
This is right, right?
35歳になって漸く2次元の素晴らしさを感じるようになりました
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:34 pm

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:Main: -1 applied to the 4 CFWs and Gust.
Main: +2 applied to Histoire.

Bonus: +1 applied to Blanc.

Spoiler:
This is right, right?

Spoiler:
Yes indeedy!

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:39 pm

I don't understand the "+" thing :?
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:42 pm

The objective is that hated characters get negative points. Liked characters get positive points. I like Blanc and Histoire, so I want them to lose by having positive points.
Spoiler:

Florentine
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Florentine » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Main Contest:
Chika -1
Tekken -1
Broccoli -1
CFW Judge -1
Mr. Badd -1
Blanc +2

Bonus Round:
+1 to Blanc (<3)
Not that I hate any of the goddesses, it's just...that... you know.
Project: New Life, Start!
Blanc <3 For True Goddess!
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:49 pm

vampko wrote:I don't understand the "+" thing :?

You add to them with those. You pick five characters who lose a point ("-") and then one who gets two points (the "+"). So if one person picks Peashy as one of the characters they want to take from, but someone else votes for her positively, she would have 1 point (-1 + 2) and thus get eliminated.

That help?

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:The objective is that hated characters get negative points. Liked characters get positive points. I like Blanc and Histoire, so I want them to lose by having positive points.

This! Though it can just be dislike, least favorite, whatever. :lol:

Incidentally!

Main
- Magic
- Abnes
- CC2
- Mina
- Judge
+ Anonydeath

Bonus
- Noire, Neptune, and Blanc
+ Vert

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Honestly feels like the "+" defeats the purpose. We're trying to figure out who isn't liked. So why are we letting people defend their liked characters? It makes absolutely no sense. :?
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

xnobody13
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby xnobody13 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:46 pm

vampko wrote:Honestly feels like the "+" defeats the purpose. We're trying to figure out who isn't liked. So why are we letting people defend their liked characters? It makes absolutely no sense. :?

You want whoever you like to lose. If they continue, that means that those you like are essentially loathed by everyone else. Your goal is to make sure that doesn't happen. Love Histy but see someone already put a -1 next to them? Go against their opinion and put a +1.

Or something like that. I just got here
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:55 pm

vampko wrote:Honestly feels like the "+" defeats the purpose. We're trying to figure out who isn't liked. So why are we letting people defend their liked characters? It makes absolutely no sense. :?

So we actually have something to do. It spices it up, essentially, though it also helps in that it prevents huge ties (for instance, the bonus round might have a lot of them if it was simply "pick your two/three least favorite CPUs" instead of the way I worded it). If you'd like, I can include results without the plus along with the with if you want to see those, in a before/after sort of deal.

You've never seen polls like this before? :shock: I thought the "these few lose, this gone gets" type of poll/game was pretty common.

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Allowing people to defend their favorite character shows that character isn't as unpopular as if they couldn't. If someone really likes Judge, for example, they can cancel out 2 other votes for him right now, and Magic would be the most unpopular. 3 people dislike him, but one person does like him the most. Magic would be the most unpopular since no one likes her but several people actively dislike her.

That's how I see it working.
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:27 pm

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:Allowing people to defend their favorite character shows that character isn't as unpopular as if they couldn't. If someone really likes Judge, for example, they can cancel out 2 other votes for him right now, and Magic would be the most unpopular. 3 people dislike him, but one person does like him the most. Magic would be the most unpopular since no one likes her but several people actively dislike her.

That's how I see it working.

A good explanation! :D

Now let's get back to unvoting.

Nepdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Nepdood » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Main:
-1 Magic
-1 Judge
-1 Croire
-1 Trick
-1 Abnes
+2 Neptune

Bonus:
+ 1 Neptune (Got to defend my goddess :D )
If anything's wrong with this, I'll fix it.

3DS, XBL, PSN, Steam: Mekgolo
Try out my game: Super Space Armada

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Nope, you're good dood.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:23 pm

And, again, you are going against the whole purpose. You're defending characters from being unpopular, which is basically trying to make certain characters out to be popular. Especially with the "two votes" thing. It's not helping to get accurate numbers, and only hurting the data.
Spoiler:

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”