CH made a OFFICIAL popularity poll to decide protagonist

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: CH made a OFFICIAL popularity poll to decide protagonist

Postby Seventh » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:02 pm

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:I will say that Iris is the most memorable feature she had. Plutia, for all her worth, never stood out. When people look back, they'll generally think, "Man, Iris was a piece of shit to my favorite character. How am I supposed to like her?" And as we all know, the most hardcore fans are also the most vocal.
Sadly, it appears... none of this applies to me! :( So it's tough to relate here. Touching on the one thing, I never had a problem noticing Plutia though... but in general I seem to like the characters pre-transformed more than transformed anyway. But I've never claimed to not be a weird one here either. :P So that's one of those "but that's just me" things again. :lol: On the other hand, it extends far beyond Plutia though, so... Yeah. Possibly going off topic again. Moving right along!

I'd probably get my internet pass taken away if I ever admitted I've totally forgotten Purple Heart even exists on the rarest of rare occasio-- Wait, shit, you didn't see that. You didn't see that! Nobody saw that! I love Purple Heart! All hail Planeptune! Glory to she whose Heart is Purple!

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:Now then, I can't really accept her "saving" Rei as an act of redemption, mostly because according to the polls, posts I've read, fanart, etc. Rei's just not popular. Had she displayed that sense of affection towards the main cast instead of probably whipping them to tears, I likely would have appreciated her more. :lol:
Well, she technically did, it was just primarily as Plutia. Iris did display it to IF, at least, but again, CH seemed waaaay too intent on forcing that gag on us to do much else with her. My main point was just that that trait does exist, CH just didn't use it much. On the other hand, her being sadistic as a form of affection, which was how it was done a few times, could have been done a lot differently if they weren't so intent on being slapstick about it (and in all fairness, while the fanbase understandably may not have liked it, they do really love their slapstick over there), and the reception probably would have been better too, especially if they'd cut out some/a lot/all of when she did it out of anger. Iunno. I could prolly think better on how they could've done it or V better after I get some sleep. :lol:

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:How it was used against her allies was.

The "how" there is the thing for me, since, actually like I just said basically, I really don't think it's inherently bad that she got that way with her allies at all, just maybe to the extent she did. That and how often she did versus how often she did other stuff.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:11 pm

So here's my question:

Does the name Popular Heart transfer ownership?
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Daverost wrote:So here's my question:

Does the name Popular Heart transfer ownership?

If it doesn't, it's not like anything can stop Blanc from taking it now.

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:26 pm

We can argue that first point until the end of time, providing all the evidence, statistics, character on-screen time, fan works, reference posts, and neither of us would change our minds one bit. So, we'll just have to disagree here. :lol:
Seventh wrote:Well, she technically did, it was just primarily as Plutia. Iris did display it to IF, at least, but again, CH seemed waaaay too intent on forcing that gag on us to do much else with her. My main point was just that that trait does exist, CH just didn't use it much. On the other hand, her being sadistic as a form of affection, which was how it was done a few times, could have been done a lot differently if they weren't so intent on being slapstick about it (and in all fairness, while the fanbase understandably may not have liked it, they do really love their slapstick over there), and the reception probably would have been better too, especially if they'd cut out some/a lot/all of when she did it out of anger. Iunno. I could prolly think better on how they could've done it or V better after I get some sleep. :lol:

It's probably one of those "Humor is subjective" things. The intent was likely a running gag, but the message received was that she's just being unnecessarily mean to everyone; traumatizing poor Iffy for life, turning Noire into a hollow husk that can only speak one phrase, etc. Some people probably found it funny but a lot of people just shook their heads at it. I'm under the suspicion that it's seen as an insult to their favorite character, or just a character they like being needlessly trashed. That was one of the complaints of Hyperdevotion Noire. She was drug through the mud by the story and fans weren't happy, I think it could equally apply when another character is doing that. As for the part about her saving Rei, she did do that, but I just didn't see it as an act of redemption. Much too little, way too late, and it was for a character I didn't care about and still don't.

Seventh wrote:The "how" there is the thing for me, since, actually like I just said basically, I really don't think it's inherently bad that she got that way with her allies at all, just maybe to the extent she did. That and how often she did versus how often she did other stuff.

I didn't mind all the innuendo or the disagreements, but I'm just no fan of violence or violent acts. All the threatening language, the inflicted mental trauma, the physical injuries, etc. It might be "black humor" but I'm just no fan of it. That aside, I've actually read a rather convincing argument her "motivating" Blanc after she lost her nation was an act of malice. The poor girl was already at rock bottom, and she just got pushed further down. Blanc may have got better, but the ends didn't justify the means from my point of view.
35歳になって漸く2次元の素晴らしさを感じるようになりました
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:42 pm

And I... Hm. I actually think we're at a close here! If that's cool?

I have a completely different take of things in the latter part save the personal part in the beginning, and the first seems in order enough that I don't really have anything to say I haven't already, so... Yeah! Unless you wanna add anything, I think this'd be the point to agree on what we agree on and agree to disagree on what we don't. :lol:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:44 pm

I have a totally different view on pretty much everything Iris Heart did. :lol: After all, I interpreted her as not actually wanting to be sadistic in many of her scenes (especially the one with Iffy), so yeah...
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Seventh wrote:And I... Hm. I actually think we're at a close here! If that's cool?

I have a completely different take of things in the latter part save the personal part in the beginning, and the first seems in order enough that I don't really have anything to say I haven't already, so... Yeah! Unless you wanna add anything, I think this'd be the point to agree on what we agree on and agree to disagree on what we don't. :lol:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:01 am

I'm the fan that enjoyed Plutia's reactions with Noire, because, when all was said and done, Noire actually seemed to enjoy the reactions. Whether normal Noire is supposed to be this, V-Noire is actually quite the closet masochist. This is why she pairs up really well with Plutia.
The only scenes I didn't really like with Plutia's sadism was against the Candidates and against IF. Gear deserved it because she was being a real idiot (all for the sake of that blasted "titles" system that CH decided Gear needed to be "interesting" to fans :| ), and needed a wake up call. The first time I saw it I was upset, but afterwards, I realized that I just had to accept that CH ran her character into the ground a bit during Victory. Though, I guess that could also be explained by the sister whom she risked life and limb for suddenly treating her like yesterday's news. So she could have been in a bit of an emotionally broken state.
Anyway, the part with IF was the part that I just couldn't explain away. it was completely unneeded. Then there was the part with the Candidates, but I also hated pretty much EVERYTHING about that ending path, so there's probably some bias towards whatever happened during then.

Oh, and grats Blanc fans I guess? At least it wasn't Nep or Noire, but really sad to see the Candidates get lower every poll...even though it's obvious it would happen since the CPUs are shoved in people's faces over and over and over again...

I really want another game that stars the Candidates and Makers, that puts the CPUs on the backburner entirely...U was close with having two separate story paths, but that still wasn't it.

EDIT
Plutia/Peashy would be fine to be in though. I just want the Big four outta it.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:55 am

I'll admit I did like the suggestive comments that only rattled her cage, but didn't care for the scene where she effectively mind broke Noire. And yeah, Nepgear was being a bit stupid, but she'd already lost in their fight. There wasn't a need to do anything more other than to humiliate her.
Spoiler:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:37 am

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:I'll admit I did like the suggestive comments that only rattled her cage, but didn't care for the scene where she effectively mind broke Noire. And yeah, Nepgear was being a bit stupid, but she'd already lost in their fight. There wasn't a need to do anything more other than to humiliate her.

Plutia may have been a sadist for a while, but Noire was the first M she could interact with so freely. She just didn't understand where to place limits yet, since she was new to the whole thing. With time, I'm sure she'd be a good sadist like Todayama Kyouko who only pushes further if her partner is okay with it, and doesn't expend her fun on others who aren't involved. Plutia just needs to learn boundaries. Or have Tekken be her partner :lol: That girl probably would tire out Plutia xD
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:46 am

*Still had a different interpretation* XD

Of course, I like the characters, but don't take any scenes where they're made fun of seriously. Goodness knows that I poke fun at everyone in my comics... and since this WAS based on the Console Wars, it actually feels like it makes more sense if they're ribbing each other.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:04 am

Rednal wrote:*Still had a different interpretation* XD

Of course, I like the characters, but don't take any scenes where they're made fun of seriously. Goodness knows that I poke fun at everyone in my comics... and since this WAS based on the Console Wars, it actually feels like it makes more sense if they're ribbing each other.

I'm kinda curious what your interpretation is. And, "made fun of" and "being interacted with in a way that leaves a character BSoD'd for more than a day" are two very different things :?
Spoiler:

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:08 am

vampko wrote:Plutia may have been a sadist for a while, but Noire was the first M she could interact with so freely. She just didn't understand where to place limits yet, since she was new to the whole thing. With time, I'm sure she'd be a good sadist like Todayama Kyouko who only pushes further if her partner is okay with it, and doesn't expend her fun on others who aren't involved. Plutia just needs to learn boundaries. Or have Tekken be her partner :lol: That girl probably would tire out Plutia xD

I can't see a tsundere being a masochist. "It's not like I want you to gag and whip me or anything!" :lol: Noire is just naive and didnt have any other friends. Plutia, as Iris, was taking advantage of that. Tekken, on the other hand is a perfect fit for her. She'd take the abuse and like it, not take it out of fear of alienating her one friend.
Spoiler:

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:10 am

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:
vampko wrote:Plutia may have been a sadist for a while, but Noire was the first M she could interact with so freely. She just didn't understand where to place limits yet, since she was new to the whole thing. With time, I'm sure she'd be a good sadist like Todayama Kyouko who only pushes further if her partner is okay with it, and doesn't expend her fun on others who aren't involved. Plutia just needs to learn boundaries. Or have Tekken be her partner :lol: That girl probably would tire out Plutia xD

I can't see a tsundere being a masochist. "It's not like I want you to gag and whip me or anything!" :lol: Noire is just naive and didnt have any other friends. Plutia, as Iris, was taking advantage of that. Tekken, on the other hand is a perfect fit for her. She'd take the abuse and like it, not take it out of fear of alienating her one friend.

Well, she is one. V Noire is not nearly as much of a tsundere as normal Noire as well. And why couldn't they be both...? It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Spoiler:

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:14 am

I never saw her seeking out abuse in the way Tekken does. Masochists like the shame associated with their lifestyle, and Noire doesn't seem like that kind of girl. Her interactions with Anonydeath tells me that.
Spoiler:

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”