Are Compile Heart games Japanese shovelware? w/ Bonus Q.

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
KoopaTroopinski
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Re: Are Compile Heart games Japanese shovelware? w/ Bonus Q.

Postby KoopaTroopinski » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:16 pm

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:
KoopaTroopinski wrote:Replace "no voice acting" with "ear-wrenching voice acting" and this describes Ride to Hell: Retribution to a T, the perfect representation of modern shovelware.

That, and The Slaughtering Grounds.

Elf Bowling 1 and 2. Literally free browser-based games that were being resold on the DS for $20. And someone probably bought a copy.

They even have their own movie: Elf Bowling: The Movie.

Alice Twilight wrote:Neptunia or any Compile heart game isn't ever going to be the next Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, so I dunno how anyone can disagree with me on that.

Now you're putting words into our mouths. No one here has ever made such a comment. Also, you've yet again ignored the fact that the games you're mentioning have the resources of a small nation, whereas Compile Heart does not. Just because a company doesn't have much resources to work with doesn't mean that it can never produce good games and become successful. Look at the likes of Minecraft and Angry Birds and how far they've gotten from their meager origins.

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:Neptunia or any Compile heart game isn't ever going to be the next Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, so I dunno how anyone can disagree with me on that.

Who said they do compare? You're also conveniently ignoring the fact FF14 was so bad it was pulled from the market. A budget on the order of millions does not automatically make something good, nor does a shoestring budget make something automatically bad. These games are niche JRPGS that appeal greatly to that niche fanbase. You're trying to apply them to a demographic they had no intention of seeking out in the first place.
35歳になって漸く2次元の素晴らしさを感じるようになりました
Spoiler:

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:47 pm

I also would like to point out that, aside Neverland, IF has a juggernaut franchise in Japan: Hakuoki. Aside the games, there are several anime series, movies, and even a stage play going on. It may be "cheaply made" but it has a certain popularity (I've seen an "Hakuoki store" in Kyoto Station last summer).
That doesn't meann they get a free pass over their technical shortcomings (Omega Quintet kind of shows they still have problems with frame rate) but "shovelware" or "kusoge" as certain 2ch denizens (or lately - and sadly - as certain people have been using on forums or places like Siliconera) say is a bit too much.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Who said they do compare? You're also conveniently ignoring the fact FF14 was so bad it was pulled from the market. A budget on the order of millions does not automatically make something good, nor does a shoestring budget make something automatically bad. These games are niche JRPGS that appeal greatly to that niche fanbase. You're trying to apply them to a demographic they had no intention of seeking out in the first place.

I know all about XIV, it got better, you can't fix Neptunia games however, and I don't really count porting Victory to Vita and calling it Re;Birth as fixing the first game. I just want new conent in my neptunia games.
I expect a remake to be just that, remade from the ground up, not Victory lite.

You can only go through the same factory level so many times without getting bored of it.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:I know all about XIV, it got better, you can't fix Neptunia games however, and I don't really count porting Victory to Vita and calling it Re;Birth as fixing the first game. I just want new conent in my neptunia games.

And once again, you're ignoring all the things they did remake for that game. If you're playing video games purely to look at the dungeons and enemy models, not even fight them, but just to see how they look and differ from one another, you could probably find a much more satisfying hobby than video games.

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:53 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:
Seventh wrote:
Alice Twilight wrote:So in the end I think we can all agree Neptunia games will never amount to anything great and Compile Heart games will never strive for anything big because it's fans never accept whatever comes out.

I truly have no idea how anyone can go from the things other people are saying in this thread to "I think we can all agree with the thing everyone else has been disagreeing with from the moment I started this thread."

If you feel that way, fine, but you've done and said nothing to convince anyone to agree with you, and posts like this certainly don't help your case any.

Because it's an obvious fact that Neptunia games compared to any other JRPG games on the market don't compare. Keep believing otherwise.

Neptunia or any Compile heart game isn't ever going to be the next Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, so I dunno how anyone can disagree with me on that.

They don't have to be. Fans can make comparisons whenever and however they like, but at the end of the day as long as these games make money and fans enjoy them, then CH will keep on making more titles.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:36 pm

xizro345 wrote:I also would like to point out that, aside Neverland, IF has a juggernaut franchise in Japan: Hakuoki.

I knew I was forgetting something else.

IF's otome game line does pretty well on the adaptation front as a whole, though, just nothing else at the level of Hakuoki.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Seventh wrote:
Alice Twilight wrote:I know all about XIV, it got better, you can't fix Neptunia games however, and I don't really count porting Victory to Vita and calling it Re;Birth as fixing the first game. I just want new conent in my neptunia games.

And once again, you're ignoring all the things they did remake for that game. If you're playing video games purely to look at the dungeons and enemy models, not even fight them, but just to see how they look and differ from one another, you could probably find a much more satisfying hobby than video games.

They ported over Victories gameplay, 10/10 would play again.
Neptunia wins GOTY I play sequels expecting a familiar yet different experience, not the same shit I played last game just with an updated UI.

If you're playing Compile Heart games purely to look at new content, you could probably find much more satisfying video games

fix'd
I'm going to hold out to VII and maybe a game after it to see if the series does get better.
You've got these fun characters, they're just in a bad-medicore series of games

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Alice Twilight wrote:Neptunia wins GOTY I play sequels expecting a familiar yet different experience, not the same shit I played last game just with an updated UI.

Please tell me again that mk2 is just an updated UI over HDN, and that V is an updated UI over mk2. I'm looking for an excuse to pass out from lack of oxygen caused by my uncontrollable laughter.
That aside, you're honestly complaining that an enhanced port of a game, not a sequel mind you, is an enhanced port of a game, and this is disregarding the fact that Re;Birth 1 is different from HDN in pretty much every way imaginable. I also find it rather intriguing how you're ignoring, once again, and this is a recurring trend, that 3 of the Vita titles were an idol sim, an sRPG and a musou respectively.
Spoiler:

FANSean
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby FANSean » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:07 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_%28sport%29 This is what comes to mind reading this thread.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:36 am

Alice Twilight wrote:Neptunia wins GOTY I play sequels expecting a familiar yet different experience, not the same shit I played last game just with an updated UI.

Please tell me again that mk2 is just an updated UI over HDN, and that V is an updated UI over mk2. I'm looking for an excuse to pass out from lack of oxygen caused by my uncontrollable laughter.
That aside, you're honestly complaining that an enhanced port of a game, not a sequel mind you, is an enhanced port of a game, and this is disregarding the fact that Re;Birth 1 is different from HDN in pretty much every way imaginable. I also find it rather intriguing how you're ignoring, once again, and this is a recurring trend, that 3 of the Vita titles were an idol sim, an sRPG and a musou respectively.

Mk2 is one exception, the rest of the series just rehashes of mk2.
and yeah Re;Birth1 is a port of Victory, no questions asked.
Everyone knows Neptunia1 is Trinity Universe re-skinned
Don't even try and tell me, Re;Birth1 doesn't rehash anything from Victory.

TheDefenderOfEarth wrote:Please tell me again that mk2 is just an updated UI over HDN, and that V is an updated UI over mk2. I'm looking for an excuse to pass out from lack of oxygen caused by my uncontrollable laughter.

Also, no you're not this is probably you now.
Spoiler:

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:47 am

Alice Twilight wrote:Mk2 is one exception, the rest of the series just rehashes of mk2.
and yeah Re;Birth1 is a port of Victory, no questions asked.

Have you played any of these games? V doesn't have an AP system at all, so your first point is just plain false. And your second point is absolutely fictitious. Two games that have completely different stories are not ports of each other. A port is the exact same game, story and all, moved from one system to another. The only games which are ports are Re;Birth 2 and 3, which have noticeable enhancements from their PS3 predecessors.
Spoiler:

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:48 am

Oh shit they changed the story, doesn't change the fact they completely ported over every single dungeon in Victory and blew their budget on making one single new dungeon. Compile Hacks.

$60 for the same content I played on my PS3.
Also checked out that musuo game, nice to see they ported over Celestia with little to no change.
Going back to the main games, why does CH even try to hide that these are new games with totally original content? Just do the Street Fighter 2 naming convention.

Hyper Dimension Neptunia Victory: 3party members and plans super addition.

TheDefenderOfEarth
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby TheDefenderOfEarth » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:57 am

Alice Twilight wrote:Oh shit they changed the story, doesn't change the fact they completely ported over every single dungeon in Victory and blew their budget on making one single new dungeon. Compile Hacks.

Aside from your one-note complaining about the dungeons, and your obvious fabrications, you have absolutely no points to make other than "Stop liking what I don't like!"
Spoiler:

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:01 am

Alice Twilight wrote:Oh shit they changed the story, doesn't change the fact they completely ported over every single dungeon in Victory and blew their budget on making one single new dungeon. Compile Hacks.

Aside from your one-note complaining about the dungeons, and your obvious fabrications, you have absolutely no points to make other than "Stop liking what I don't like!"

Straight out of 4chan.
And you know I'm right, you can't convince me otherwise re;birth1 was lazy as hell, a new story isn't enough to convince me to buy a game, I expect new things when I buy new games, not the same crap I already played.
A plan system isn't going to convince me either.

Call me when Neptunia produces new content to explore, new enemies to fight, new music to enjoy and not so shallow gameplay.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”