My personal project: Nep 4 Dead

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
speed1230
Geo Master
Geo Master

My personal project: Nep 4 Dead

Postby speed1230 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:48 pm

Made a major edit to the scenario and added one more question - I was stupid to forget these when I initially posted.

Figured that it needed its own thread. I briefly mentioned this in the Dreams thread as it's pretty much how this entire thing started. With its own thread, I can show everyone what I'm up to as well as possibly get some guidance. It's still very much in very early stages, so a lot of things might change.

So far, I've made one test video just to test my 3D animation skills and lay down some of the stuff that I have planned for the project. It's rather patchy - there's a few clipping issues, there's no clothes and hair physics and the walking animations look strange.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktHepUSmYbo
...Where's Vert, you may ask? I haven't forgotten about her. I only animated a small portion of a scene that I planned, which would have Vert appearing a bit later on.

It's going to be a long post, as I'm literally copying and pasting from my plans, so I'll spoiler each section to make this easier to read.

The Project:

What is this project about?
Spoiler:
This is a project based off the Neptunia mods for Left 4 Dead 2 mostly taking form of Source Film Maker movies using the existing Gmod models for them, though I might also do stories and images. It mostly follows the original stories of both L4D1 and 2 (if you already played through the games, you might have a basic idea of what's going on), but I'll probably make some personal changes to make things a bit different.

What I want to do is to explore and expand on the relationships between the characters - the fact that L4D2 is part of a rare (possibly dying?) breed of co-op multiplayer games gives me a chance to really focus on this. It is also a bit of a challenge as I need to somehow make the dark, serious plot of L4D2 work with a happy game like the Neptunia. Achieving this balance is probably going to be very tricky (and the fact not everyone would approve of this idea), but I really want to try and make a serious plot that tests every character's relationship with each other. Of course, I could easily drop in humour outside of the main battle scenes and key plot scenes.

I also want to add a few what-if scenes, separate to the story, that show alternative outcomes to a key moment.

Scenario
Spoiler:
The CPUs were trying out Vert's virtual reality Kinect (inspired by the animation) when a glitch occurs which traps them in Left 4 Dead 2 (a well known Leanbox title). Not long afterwards, the CPU Candidates notice that their sisters have gone missing and so jump into the glitch to save them along with a few "helpers". Within the world of L4D2, the CPUs will need to figure out how they can get back to the Neptunia universe while fighting through the zombie apocalypse. As for the CPU Candidates, they need to find the CPUs and ensure that they are safe so that they can get back home together.

The Civil Emergency and Defense Agency (CEDA) have already been overwhelmed by the apocalypse and operations have already been taken over by the military, who are using aggressive means including air-striking cities and shooting potential carriers (positive or not) to suppress the infection that rampages on. It looks like zombies aren't the only things that the girls need to face...

Character Profiles:
Spoiler:
I plan to use the characters of the L4D2 Neptunia survivors 8 pack, which includes:

CPUS
Neptune
Noire
Blanc
Vert

CPU Candidates
Nepgear
Uni
Rom
Ram

Now, I'm still rather new to the series so I'm researching on them (through playing Rebirth 1, listening to drama CDs, watching playthroughs, heck, even playing around with the app) to get a good idea of their personalities. I might add a few personal changes but these shouldn't make them ridiculously out of character. The profiles below are still in early progress and are subject to change:

Character Profiles:

CPUS:

Neptune:
Self declared "main character" of the series, Neptune can always be smiling even in the most dire of situations. While she may not take many situations seriously and can occasionally be a bit air-headed, she strongly believes that she and her fellow CPU friends will escape from the apocalypse alive. With her optimism, it is Neptune who tries to get everyone to work together.

Noire:
A very hard working perfectionist who strongly believes in her own abilities to combat the zombies. She can sound harsh at times, but she is a gentle and honest individual. Of course, you cannot avoid her distinct tsundere personality which makes it tricky for her to convey the meaning she wants possibly caused by her solidarity when she works. Being an individualist, she sometimes fights the zombies on her own but sometimes assumes the role of the leader, due to her serious and perfectionist nature and wants to end this charade quickly.

Blanc:
While usually a very quiet and reserved girl of few words, Blanc can snap into a brutally violent and foul mouthed girl if something/someone makes her angry. She can also show genuine compassion, which is often hidden in her blunt words. Outside her tough skin, however, lies a sensitive side which is rarely seen by others.

Vert:
Calm, polite and witty, but a very big gamer. A certain well known FPS game has given her some experience in how to deal with a zombie apocalypse, thus (theoretically) having the most experience of the CPUs.

CPU Candidates:

Nepgear:
The slightly more timid younger sibling of Neptune. Despite this, she is mature and very friendly to others. In battle, she can sometimes lacks self-confidence but is quick to snap out of it especially if her friends are in danger. She can also be a bit of an air head.

Uni:
Probably the most experienced character in terms of gun combat as she already uses them in the original games, Uni teaches the Candidates how to use a gun along with several tips. Like Noire, she is highly confident in her abilities and even has a bit of a tsundere personality. However, she seems to be friendlier and laid back than her older sister though still a hard worker.

Rom:
The older, yet very timid twin out of the Lowee twins and is very quiet much like her older sister Blanc. While usually the less dominant, Rom is smarter and more sensible than her twin sister Ram. As timid as she is, though, Rom is a very kindhearted and gentle girl and is willing to help out in battle.

Ram:
The hyperactive and cheeky twin out of the Lowee twins and can sometimes have a short fuse like her older sister Blanc. She might be the youngest of the twins (and the Candidates), but Ram is generally more dominant, though she can be a bit naive.

Character Relationships:
Spoiler:
This will be important to the project, so it is important that I do plenty of research to get this right. These are still a work in progress:

CPUS:

Neptune and Noire
Neptune's playful and optimistic attitude clashes with Noire's serious and more realistic attitude. Neptune enjoys teasing Noire, much to the latter's annoyance. Even so, the two share a good chemistry in battle and a clear friendship.

Neptune and Blanc
The two have known each other for a while and have went through many fights. To date, Neptune is the only person to make Blanc's blood truly boil but they have put aside those events and, now, share an amicable relationship. Though sometimes, Neptune can still annoy Blanc.

Neptune and Vert
These two get along well without much argument and often team up in teasing both Noire and Blanc. Vert is thankful for Neptune's optimism as it keeps the CPUs working together.

Noire and Blanc
Due to their personalities, sometimes a rift can form between the two. They can still get along, but they also tend to view each other as rivals.

Noire and Vert
Sometimes, the two can get along well as they are tied as the most mature members of the party. Other times, however, the two argue over their ongoing rivalry with each other as well as Vert's teasings.

Blanc and Vert
A very tense relationship where Vert intentionally teases Blanc to annoy her. Somehow, they can get along civilly in battle where Vert can sometimes be genuinely worried for Blanc's safety, with the latter usually brushing it off.

CPU Candidates:

Nepgear and Uni
The two share a close friendship akin to their older sisters but their differences can cause some disagreements. Being her first friend, Nepgear holds onto her friendship with Uni very closely. Uni also views Nepgear as a close friend, and the two share a good chemistry in battle.

Rom and Ram
As twins, the two are always seen together. Rom is often dragged along by the more outgoing and dominant Ram but Ram, herself, worries about her twin sister's safety and acts protective over her. Rom, too, can get worried about Ram due to her occasional recklessness.

Nepgear and Rom
The two get along very well, with Rom easily warming up to Nepgear's friendly personality. Nepgear also tends to console Rom when she gets scared.

Nepgear and Ram
Nepgear gets on well with Ram, who enjoys Nepgear's presence. However, Ram can often act stubborn around Nepgear, but the latter's kind and friendly personality often solves this.

Uni and Ram
Ram's tendency to act stubborn can cause some arguments with Uni. Nevertheless, Ram sees Uni as a mentor in zombie combat.

Uni and Rom
Rom may be somewhat shy around her, but Uni is able to teach Rom the basic of gun combat for self-defence against the zombies. Sometimes, Uni can scare Rom but the two do share a good friendship.

Sisters:

Neptune and Nepgear
In a close sisterly relationship, Nepgear is often mistaken as the older sibling as the is the more mature one out of the two. Despite this, Nepgear is greatly dependent on her older sister Neptune but worries that she doesn't pay attention to her much due to her carefree nature. In reality, Neptune deeply care for her younger sister and constantly laments on the fact that she isn't a good (role model as a) big sister.

Noire and Uni
Uni treats her older sister Noire as a role model but Noire will not properly praise Uni until she does better than her in something and seems to overwork her. Uni worries that her sister is giving her the cold shoulder and eels that they don't share a sisterly bond like that of Nepgear and Neptune. In reality, Noire is always proud of her little sister but her hard working nature prevents her spending any time as sisters with her.

Blanc and the twins
Blanc can often get stressed with dealing with the twins, but given how young they are, Blanc always worries about the safety of the twins. As Rom is the quieter of the two, Blanc can get along with her well. On the other hand, given her personality, Ram can sometimes defy Blanc but she does genuinely love her older sister.

Character Armory:
Spoiler:
These are based off my imaginations for each character:

CPUS:

Neptune
Primary: M16 [Assault Rifle], Mini-14 [Hunting Rifle], M1014 [Tactical Shotgun], Uzi, Remington 870 [Pump Shotgun] (As the main character, I expect Neptune to be an all-rounder; utilising a range of weapons. I'd imagine that she'd use the M16 the most, as it's the most all-rounded weapon in L4D2)
Secondary: P220 and Glock [Dual Pistols] (I can really picture Neptune wielding 2 pistols... Maybe it's just me though.)
Melee: Katana, Guitar, Baseball Bat, Machete (Of course Neptune needs a Katana. Other weapons are just based what I think fits.)

Noire
Primary: MSG90A1 [Sniper Rifle], SG552, SCAR-H [Combat Rifle], M1014 [Tactical Shotgun], MP5 (Lastation does everything, and Noire's armory is no exception - she can use any type of gun. I'd imagine her using the Combat and Sniper rifles the most, though.)
Secondary: Desert eagle [Magnum] (I imagine Noire preferring a single pistol with high stopping power rather than using two pistols for better accuracy)
Melee: Katana, Frying Pan, Crowbar, Cricket Bat, Machete (A Katana will do as Noire's sword, and , again, the other weapons were based off my imaginations of what would fit.)

Blanc:
Primary: SPAS-12 [Combat Shotgun], M1014 [Tactical Shotgun], M79 [Grenade Launcher], M60, AK-47, Remington Model 870 [Pump and Chrome Shotgun] (Based off the fact she wields a hammer in the Neptunia games, I decided to make Blanc use mostly heavy hitter weapons. Blanc will most likely use both the SPAS-12 and the AK-47.)
Secondary: P220 and Glock [Dual Pistols] (Maybe based off the fact I always make Blanc use these when I be her in L4D2.)
Melee: Chainsaw, Axe, Crowbar, Machete, Combat Knife, Katana (I can really imagine Blanc plowing through a horde of zombies with a chainsaw and an axe. Katana's might be a surprise, but I want to animate her using one. Other weapons are based on what I thought would fit.)

Vert:
Primary: MSG90A1 [Sniper Rifle], AWSM, SCAR-H [Combat Rifle], M1014 [Tactical Shotgun], SG552, Remington 870 [Chrome Shotgun], Uzi, MP5 (I expected Vert to be quite an all-rounder given how much she'd play FPS games. I can picture her most with the AWSM though, a very powerful sniper rifle with a huge reputation in the Counter Strike games which I could imagine Vert playing...)

CPU Candidates:

Nepgear:
Primary: M16 [Assault Rifle], MSG90A1 [Sniper Rifle], Uzi (Just based off my imaginations, but I could never imagine Nepgear with a shotgun. Nepgear would probably use the M16 the most)
Secondary: P220 [Pistol], Desert Eagle [Magnum] (I can imagine Nepgear with just a single pistol, as I'd think she'd be more comfortable with that)
Melee: Katana, Machete (I can't imagine Nepgear with anything else)

Uni
Primary: MSG90A1 [Sniper Rifle], AWSM, SG552, M16 [Assault Rifle], M79 [Grenade Launcher], M60, SPAS-12, MP5 (...Yes. Uni can probably use any gun. I'd imagine Uni would mostly use both the Sniper rifle and the SG552 as they both have scopes and that she's quite a sharpshooter in the animation especially)
Secondary: P220 and Glock [Dual Pistols], Desert Eagle [Magnum] (Again, I'd imagine that she could use all pistols)
Melee: Katana, Machete, Combat Knife (Would be nice to animate Uni using a Katana. Somehow, I can imagine Uni being adept at using a combat knife.)

Rom:
Primary: SCAR-H, Mini-14 [Hunting Rifle], M1014 [Tactical Shotgun], MAC-10 [Silenced SMG] (A silenced gun would suit Rom perfectly. But wait, a shotgun? Strange as it may seem, I can imagine Rom using one especially when her friends are in danger and her resolve takes over)
Secondary: P220 [Pistol], Desert Eagle [Magnum] (I'd imagine Rom would prefer using just one pistol]
Melee: Baseball Bat, Frying Pan (The two melees I could imagine Rom using.)

Ram:
Primary: SPAS-12 [Combat Shotgun], AK-47, Remington 870 [Pump Shotgun] (It might be just me, but I can imagine Ram enjoying shooting zombies with shotguns and an AK-47. The heavy hitting weapons could fit with Ram's recklessness)
Secondary: P220 and Glock [Dual Pistols] (I'd imagine Ram enjoying using 2 pistols because double the guns, double the power right?)
Melee: Axe, Crowbar, Baseball Bat (Just 3 weapons I'd picture her most with)

Possible questions:

Why are you using Neptunia characters for this project?
Spoiler:
This is my first foray into 3D animation. I've tried using the models of the original L4D characters but their complexity scared me. So I turned to something a bit simpler to animate, though there is still the concern of animating their hair (Noire especially), chest and clothing.

You say you're using the GMod models of the Neptunia characters, but the CPU Candidates haven't been released yet (at the time of this post).
Spoiler:
...Yes, I'm aware of this and I'm waiting anxiously for them. I really hope they do get released, as I have quite a lot planned for them.

Can the characters use HDD?
Spoiler:
I personally didn't think it would make sense for them to be able to use HDD in the world of L4D2. Firstly, I think it might be a bit too overpowered as I am pretty sure 4 CPUs in HDD can easily down the Tank (a notorious zombie in L4D) without breaking a sweat. Secondly, Shares are absent in the world of L4D so it would be impossible. Though that creates another problem...

So if there's no Shares in the world of L4D, how on earth can the CPUs live?
Spoiler:
...This is a major obstacle that I need to explain somehow. I'm still working on it, though I might need help in solving this conundrum.

Will the films be in English or Japanese audio?
Spoiler:
I have voice clips for both languages, so I could do both languages. However, there'll be issues as there's a limited set of voice clips that I can use and not every line that I have planned can be voiced. I'll figure out how to deal with this problem at a later point.

There wasn't really a clear story going on over on Left 4 Dead 2, what are you going to do?
Spoiler:
If you've played the game, you might have noticed the graffitis. Those actually told us what was going on in the story. Many people then took these graffitis to form a story. I can then use this as a base for the story of N4D but I'll probably need to do more changes. For example, I want the girls to try and confront the military (heck, I even imagine them having to face against a military helicopter that is threatening to fire missiles at them). This will probably call for original characters, but it will make the confrontation with the military much more interesting and will actually add actual antagonists to the story.

...There's still a long way to go before I can actually kick off the project. Researching is going to take me a while especially since I'm still new to the series. It seems like a ridiculously ambitious project too, but I'll see what I can do.
Last edited by speed1230 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: My personal project: Nep 4 Dead

Postby xizro345 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:31 pm

While I cannot offer much help on this, I can add that the franchise itself has done something like this, with a light novel, so it may be a source of other ideas. I haven't read it so I cannot really say what happens in it.

speed1230
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby speed1230 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:41 am

xizro345 wrote:While I cannot offer much help on this, I can add that the franchise itself has done something like this, with a light novel, so it may be a source of other ideas. I haven't read it so I cannot really say what happens in it.

Oh yeah, I did see something like that when I was researching for ideas. Is this the one?
http://www.mediafactory.co.jp/bunkoj/book_detail/1051
I'm pretty sure reading it will be useful but I doubt anyone has translated it yet.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:02 am

I doubt anyone it's going to, it's quite niche (and I STILL have to read the highschool novels and the Fairy Fencer F ones, so don't count on me...).

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:39 pm

The biggest question on my mind right now is "does anyone die in that novel?". My second biggest question is "where can I find a picture of that cover without the logo?". :P
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:53 pm

Wdog-999 wrote:The biggest question on my mind right now is "does anyone die in that novel?". My second biggest question is "where can I find a picture of that cover without the logo?". :P

Better question: does anyone STAY dead and not as a zombie?

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”