Will English version have big readable font for all text?

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
affinity7799
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Will English version have big readable font for all text?

Postby affinity7799 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:38 am

lordryo wrote: If Affinity's TV works just fine then she really doesn't have a reason to buy a new one if she doesn't want to.
Like I said before, it doesn't seem like too much of a hassle for NISA to accommodate all TV types. But then again, I may be wrong.

I'm sure it isn't too difficult. But say if publishers/developers only play their game on HDTV, and they have their SDTVs in their offices to play the game on, then they are missing the chance to check what SDTV players are seeing, and would realize that if text is unreadable or even uncomfortable to the point that people would skip the text or not play, then that hurts overall fun and sales in the process.

SInce it's a new language, usually publishers have to create new font in the process, so they really decide how big the font will be and stuff, and it helps to check how it displays on SDTVs besides HDTVs. There may be time to correct that if the english font isn't readable enough on SDTV.

This screenshot was taken from an HDTV.

I am guessing that font might be barely readable on an SDTV. But of course with screenshots it's hard to be sure. The font used for their names in the text appears too small, even for an HDTV, how could a SDTV hope to display that clearly?

Hammer Crash is barely readable. And probably isn't readable at all on SDTV.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/518 ... 5c77_z.jpg

There is a big gap above the command text. I think they could make that font taller and larger.

It's possible it will be sharp, clear and readable but some of the text is really too small than it could be, it runs the risk of being unreadable and what's the point of text if people can't read it?

Maybe the result will be "barely enough to read", which is better than too hard to read, even pressing your face on the screen, it would be nice if they make sure all the text is nice and readable even on SDTVs! ^-^

lordryo
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby lordryo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 am

First off--forgive me Affinity for assuming that you were a dood, I apologize.

As I've already stated I think the font used in the English screenshots is kinda weird, it's legible but something about it seems off. I can say right now that it will be next to impossible to read on an SDTV, hopefully NISA rectifies this as the overly small text will be difficult to read even on some HDTVs. Providing additional font sizes or styles would be a good idea to consider.
"For all of your Neptunia needs, there's an Aph for that"
Harvestasha!

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:27 am

lordryo wrote:First off--forgive me Affinity for assuming that you were a dood, I apologize.

As I've already stated I think the font used in the English screenshots is kinda weird, it's legible but something about it seems off. I can say right now that it will be next to impossible to read on an SDTV, hopefully NISA rectifies this as the overly small text will be difficult to read even on some HDTVs. Providing additional font sizes or styles would be a good idea to consider.

The font looks fine to me. Maybe the screenshots aren't good ones? I'd have to actually see the game running on my PS3 to get a fair look at it. Or a Trailer would also be nice.
http://i.imgur.com/OoCrw.jpg
I think the font looks much better on that screen. I took that from the official site by the way.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

affinity7799
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby affinity7799 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:46 pm

vampko wrote:The font looks fine to me.

That's because they are screenshots and we usually view screenshots on a PC monitor that is less than 3 feet away.

Maybe the screenshots aren't good ones?

I think the dimensions of the font size itself is enough proof that the text might be unreadable on SDTV and possibly hard to read even on an HDTV.

I think the font looks much better on that screen. I took that from the official site by the way.

Again, the text might be barely readable on a decent sized HDTV, but on an SDTV, unless it's a 30" TV, I don't think any of that text will be readable. Especially "Cockatrice". and the names and numbers below.

I even had to look closer to notice the text next to the health bar: HP? and what? GP? CP? Well I know for the HP/GP, they don't have much room to resize the font, But they could make the names bolder, wider and taller, and make the HP/GP bolder or with brighter colors to help them stand out from the dark border.

And "AP 27"? That is definitely going to not be readable on SDTV. and HDTV users may have to squint.

Lyner Barfless
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Lyner Barfless » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:13 pm

affinity7799 wrote:That's because they are screenshots and we usually view screenshots on a PC monitor that is less than 3 feet away.

I think the dimensions of the font size itself is enough proof that the text might be unreadable on SDTV and possibly hard to read even on an HDTV.

Again, the text might be barely readable on a decent sized HDTV, but on an SDTV, unless it's a 30" TV, I don't think any of that text will be readable. Especially "Cockatrice". and the names and numbers below.

I even had to look closer to notice the text next to the health bar: HP? and what? GP? CP? Well I know for the HP/GP, they don't have much room to resize the font, But they could make the names bolder, wider and taller, and make the HP/GP bolder or with brighter colors to help them stand out from the dark border.

And "AP 27"? That is definitely going to not be readable on SDTV. and HDTV users may have to squint.

If only it were so easy... There's way too much technical jargon to go into, but suffice to say, it's definitely much more difficult than just "resizing" fonts or making them bold. I feel for ya, but there's little we can do on our end, realistically.
日本だけため Vert: "Oh, my... To think that someone posted a falsehood on an Internet message board!" 日本だけため

affinity7799
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby affinity7799 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Lyner Barfless wrote:
If only it were so easy... There's way too much technical jargon to go into, but suffice to say, it's definitely much more difficult than just "resizing" fonts or making them bold. I feel for ya, but there's little we can do on our end, realistically.

Okay thanks!

Well it's still nice NISA try their best to make things readable and stuff! I'm sure it will be readable enough! I mean, they are readable in the screenshots! So they are readable one way or another! ^-^

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:49 pm

affinity7799 wrote:
vampko wrote:The font looks fine to me.

That's because they are screenshots and we usually view screenshots on a PC monitor that is less than 3 feet away.

Maybe the screenshots aren't good ones?

I only have a 17 inch computer monitor, and I sat back about as far as I usually sit from my TV when playing games, and I could still read it. It was a bit difficult, but it was pretty readable. Also, if you proportionately size everything to the Japanese font, it's probably larger than the Japanese font, and more spaced out. It's actually quite spaced out for a font. I don't usually see that.

@Lyner
I will say it again, I LOVE the font choice. Seriously. let everyone know they came to a great decision on that.
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Lyner Barfless
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Lyner Barfless » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:37 pm

affinity7799 wrote:
Lyner Barfless wrote:

Okay thanks!

Well it's still nice NISA try their best to make things readable and stuff! I'm sure it will be readable enough! I mean, they are readable in the screenshots! So they are readable one way or another! ^-^

Haha sure, we try! Most of the itty-bitty stuff is incidental at best, so hopefully it's not a dealbreaker if it turns into a blurry blob on an SDTV!
日本だけため Vert: "Oh, my... To think that someone posted a falsehood on an Internet message board!" 日本だけため

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:19 pm

While we're on the subject of TVs, can anyone answer this for me?

How come on my TV, parts of the left side and right side of the screen get cut off? I don't know how to get a screencap from my PS3/TV to the computer, so I'll just give an example:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/646/1resizeq.jpg

You see how the Attack/Skill/Defense/Escape menu is a bit aways from the left edge of the screen? Well on my TV, it's AT the edge of the screen. Same deal with the big time icon on the field screen (seen here http://thegamershub.co.uk/wp-content/up ... ation8.jpg), mine has it not only at the very left edge instead of a bit away from it, it's slightly cut off.

It isn't just Atelier Rorona, by the way, sometimes I see partially cut off stuff in other games. Now, this isn't gamebreaking or anything. Only actual annoyance it has caused me is partially cutting off a leftmost enemy during battle. But I'm wondering what could be the cause of this? Could it be the size of my TV? Or the fact it's a regular TV and not a LCD flat-screen tv? Or that it's not wide screen? Or that it's SDTV? I can't even adjust the screen position on my tv (you can in some games, though, which is helpful).

EDIT: Yeah, as you can see, I don't have the latest 2010 TV. But I've been sticking with this one for so long because, hey, it still works. And as someone said, buying an HDTV would cost as much as buying a console or 5+ games.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 pm

LAMV wrote:While we're on the subject of TVs, can anyone answer this for me?

How come on my TV, parts of the left side and right side of the screen get cut off? I don't know how to get a screencap from my PS3/TV to the computer, so I'll just give an example:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/646/1resizeq.jpg

You see how the Attack/Skill/Defense/Escape menu is a bit aways from the left edge of the screen? Well on my TV, it's AT the edge of the screen. Same deal with the big time icon on the field screen (seen here http://thegamershub.co.uk/wp-content/up ... ation8.jpg), mine has it not only at the very left edge instead of a bit away from it, it's slightly cut off.

It isn't just Atelier Rorona, by the way, sometimes I see partially cut off stuff in other games. Now, this isn't gamebreaking or anything. Only actual annoyance it has caused me is partially cutting off a leftmost enemy during battle. But I'm wondering what could be the cause of this? Could it be the size of my TV? Or the fact it's a regular TV and not a LCD flat-screen tv? Or that it's not wide screen? Or that it's SDTV? I can't even adjust the screen position on my tv (you can in some games, though, which is helpful).

EDIT: Yeah, as you can see, I don't have the latest 2010 TV. But I've been sticking with this one for so long because, hey, it still works. And as someone said, buying an HDTV would cost as much as buying a console or 5+ games.

Most likely it's because you have a standard TV, but it might have something to do with your TV settings.
Spoiler:

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:05 am

vampko wrote:Most likely it's because you have a standard TV, but it might have something to do with your TV settings.

There appears to be no settings that adjusts the screen position/stretching, so I'm not sure it's TV settings. So, you think it's just because my TV is not widescreen or not flatscreen or something? Or that it's not HD? I mean, like I said it's not gamebreaking. But I think eventually I will break and get an HDTV. If partly to fix the screen problems, mostly to view PS3 games and HD channels as they should be.

I might even sacrifice a few things off my Christmas List to ask for one -- I want to save my birthday wish (February 17) for Neptunia, heh heh.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:05 pm

I'd say it's the PS3 setting above all, 99% of the cases, it's not the TVs fault.

LAMV
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby LAMV » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Shizuka wrote:I'd say it's the PS3 setting above all, 99% of the cases, it's not the TVs fault.

Actually it might really be my TV this time. In PS3's Display Settings, the part where you select the resolutions supported by the TV, the only thing I can checkmark is "Standard" -- checking any of the others causes the blue screen to show up. I can change the TV Type to either 4:3 or 16:9. Changing it to 16:9 kinda causes the screen to get this squeezy/stretchy kind of look. It makes the text in Rorona slightly bigger. But I prefer the 4:3 looks. Also, neither type deals with the screen cut-off thing.

Shizuka
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby Shizuka » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:00 pm

The screen will be cut if you output 16:9 sign on a 4:3 SDTV.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”