Another Hyperdimension Games with male character

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Another Hyperdimension Games with male character

Postby Porecomesis » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:13 am

Sik wrote:Honestly I think most people pretty much got tired of that whole thing by now (also this forum has a surprising tendency to avoid that word as much as possible, in an unusual twist of irony if you consider what the franchise has been about so far).

And odd, I thought I had already replied to this...

I have so much I could say to you right now. However, I am a patient person so I shall hold in my commentary until I get to my review of Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2.

There is something I can say, however: I was actually kind of hoping V would be set before 1983. I'd had loved to see what CH/IF would have done with the Great Video Game Crash. On the other hand, I'm kind of happy it isn't because the game would have probably blamed piracy for it. I swear to God, I would suplex this series if I could.

Sik
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Sik » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:20 am

Porecomesis wrote:There is something I can say, however: I was actually kind of hoping V would be set before 1983. I'd had loved to see what CH/IF would have done with the Great Video Game Crash. On the other hand, I'm kind of happy it isn't because the game would have probably blamed piracy for it. I swear to God, I would suplex this series if I could.

Until you realize the crash only happened in one country, and in one specific kind of platform (arcades and computers were unaffected). Probably asking a Japanese company do portray this isn't a good idea.

On the other hand, in 1983 what you have is both Nintendo and Sega entering in the console market... at exactly the same day (and then we wonder why those two seem impossible to get apart). So that kind of gives something interesting regarding Lowee and Planeptune, I suppose =P
Sik is pronounced like "seek", not like "sick".
Porecomesis wrote:That's like a country asking to stockpile all the nukes in the world. Or vertical09 offering to let the cast of the game sleep in his house.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:34 am

Sik wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:There is something I can say, however: I was actually kind of hoping V would be set before 1983. I'd had loved to see what CH/IF would have done with the Great Video Game Crash. On the other hand, I'm kind of happy it isn't because the game would have probably blamed piracy for it. I swear to God, I would suplex this series if I could.

Until you realize the crash only happened in one country, and in one specific kind of platform (arcades and computers were unaffected). Probably asking a Japanese company do portray this isn't a good idea.

On the other hand, in 1983 what you have is both Nintendo and Sega entering in the console market... at exactly the same day (and then we wonder why those two seem impossible to get apart). So that kind of gives something interesting regarding Lowee and Planeptune, I suppose =P

I still don't know why the hell Vert is around. Yeah, she's my favourite CPU but what the hell is this anachronism? And since when were the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii rivals?

gyrobot
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby gyrobot » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:41 pm

Well with the Male Character, we have to remember the guy will be too busy staving off Vert's attempt to pair him up with other guys they meet. She will also make him crossdress and in today's character designs. He can become a convincing woman.

Eyeshield
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Eyeshield » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:30 am

I honestly would like a male character in the game. In fact, I want him to represent the part of the gaming industry Neptunia has so far ignored:

Players. And DON'T tell me those weirdoes from Leanbox in Mk2 represent us!

*Rant time*

We need an actual 'player character'. I'll admit having him portrayed as Jacob from Porecomesis' fic is is the first thought I had in mind (game critic), but we could also have him as perverted (considering the gamer stereotype...), we could have him as tactical (as one of those hardcore gamers), fun-loving (casual) or so many other things. The main thing I want, however, is to give the lampshading comedy that the series focuses on some flavor. I mean, look at Disgaea! They lampshade titles, levels and tropes all the time, and it has taste because it's a running gag that makes sense and actually has an impact on the story!

In fact, one of the threads I recently went on asked if Neptunia should be on PC (I was surprised when they said the PC couldn't handle it. What the hell? The PS3 can handle something monstrously more consuming than Neptunia!), with one complaint being that it might be turned into a harem/eroge Visual Novel.

Why the hell not? They already use that style anyway! They could use the VN to expand it, to make the story have more depth! I'll be the first to admit that this is because of Fate/Stay Night (Drink beer every time you see me reference this on the forums, you'll be drunk before you know it) and Tsukihime, but still, Neptunia as a VN? I'm pretty darn sure that story would've been much better because the budget is appropriate for that level anyway!

*Rant over*

Again, do I want a male protagonist character in Neptunia?

Bloody hell yes.
Walking the universe.

Check out my crossover Neptunia fanfic Chronicles of The Walkers: FateNeptunia if you want to. I hope you like it :)

The Planeptune arc has ended! Next time, Lastation comes in!

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:47 am

Your reasons are the reasons that most anyone on here doesn't want one :P

A harem built by a guy would turn A LOT of people away from this series. A LOT.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Tikok
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Tikok » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:19 am

Pretty much what Vampko said.

Also, I care a lot more about gameplay than story, if Neptunia was a VN, I wouldn't have bothered with the game.

I played mk2 in japanese first, then bought the english version. On the english version, I did new game+ / true end route because of items that you can only get on that route, but I never bothered actually finishing the game and watching the true end.

I could do it by turning on the console and playing for two minutes but... meh...

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:15 am

Eyeshield wrote:I honestly would like a male character in the game. In fact, I want him to represent the part of the gaming industry Neptunia has so far ignored:

Players. And DON'T tell me those weirdoes from Leanbox in Mk2 represent us!

*Rant time*

We need an actual 'player character'. I'll admit having him portrayed as Jacob from Porecomesis' fic is is the first thought I had in mind (game critic), but we could also have him as perverted (considering the gamer stereotype...), we could have him as tactical (as one of those hardcore gamers), fun-loving (casual) or so many other things. The main thing I want, however, is to give the lampshading comedy that the series focuses on some flavor. I mean, look at Disgaea! They lampshade titles, levels and tropes all the time, and it has taste because it's a running gag that makes sense and actually has an impact on the story!

In fact, one of the threads I recently went on asked if Neptunia should be on PC (I was surprised when they said the PC couldn't handle it. What the hell? The PS3 can handle something monstrously more consuming than Neptunia!), with one complaint being that it might be turned into a harem/eroge Visual Novel.

Why the hell not? They already use that style anyway! They could use the VN to expand it, to make the story have more depth! I'll be the first to admit that this is because of Fate/Stay Night (Drink beer every time you see me reference this on the forums, you'll be drunk before you know it) and Tsukihime, but still, Neptunia as a VN? I'm pretty darn sure that story would've been much better because the budget is appropriate for that level anyway!

*Rant over*

Again, do I want a male protagonist character in Neptunia?

Bloody hell yes.

I think I actually brought something similar to this up earlier in the thread. Now, I'd have to agree with you to a point; if a male hero char in Neptunia was like Jacob in HNIR (ie, not a stupid excuse to have a harem/hetero romance in all female cast/whatever), and there was plenty of lampshading and such, then I, at least, could prolly tolerate or even welcome it. I mean, if it became a full-on VN, sure, why not, but it better not shoehorn a harem in unless they have a damn good reason or it's a yuri one (and on that note, if the guy spent all his time trying to get the girls together, he'd definitely have my support).

...In addition, having a well-developed canon hero male char in the series might stop the flood of bad male OCs existing solely for poorly-written romance in fanfic that are likely wish fulfillment. Then again, this would just create open season for a flood of poorly-written romance fics with this canon male hero that are likely for wish fulfillment instead... seriously, why can't more people write OCs the way Porecomesis does?

In short, I may or may not support the idea of a canon male hero; it all depends on how it's implemented. If it's implemented well (ie lots of lampshading and no shoehorned harem/romance unless he's trying to get the girls together), then maybe. If it's implemented badly... get it the hell away from me before I grab a torch and pitchfork.

Also, Eyeshield drinking game! *takes a shot, then goes to read his other posts* *is dead from alcohol poisoning five minutes later*
Kneel before me! :twisted:
Yeah, like that.

Neptunia fanfic: Hyperdimensional Adventures

Tikok
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Tikok » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:21 am

Why would that "player" character have to be male anyway ?

Kokonoe
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Kokonoe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:40 am

I'll try not to exaggerate, but I would shoot myself in the face if a male character was in Neptunia.
I Nico nico need a life
---
3DS FC: 3582-8817-0453
PSN: luckydoglink
XBLive: Kokonoepuffs
NNID: KokonoePuffs
Please PM me if you add me

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Tikok wrote:Why would that "player" character have to be male anyway ?

If I had to guess, it's prolly 'cause most of Neptunia's fanbase (and therefore player base) is male. That said, I feel like a sufficiently tomboyish girl or a reverse trap (or a combo of both) could do the job of representing the player just as well.
Yeah, like that.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Compromise: Use Iffy. She's LIKE a boy, and wouldn't be a bad POV character. And she's the one with the harem anyway. XD
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Rednal wrote:Compromise: Use Iffy. She's LIKE a boy, and wouldn't be a bad POV character. And she's the one with the harem anyway. XD

I've always wanted to see what it would be like if Iffy/Compa were the main characters...
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Well, Compa would be the default heroine if you fail to grab others, since she's there to support Iffy no matter what. =D Otherwise, Iffy would get to go flirt with all of the Maker characters, but have to choose between helping them and a certain Green Goddess who's also vying for her affections...

Or... something... I dunno. XD Or it could just be Field of Lilies IF?
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Well, Iffy is certainly tomboyish and snarky enough to fill the role. I wouldn't mind seeing that, actually...
Yeah, like that.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”