Another Hyperdimension Games with male character

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Eyeshield
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Another Hyperdimension Games with male character

Postby Eyeshield » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:15 pm

I forgot to put that that 'player' character can actually be female if appropriate. I do want a male protagonist in Neptunia (if only to explore interaction without making a harem necessary... I can delightfully declare that no one on these boards is reading my fic in the near future, I guess :|), but I never thought of IF being that player character...

... Yes. This can work.
Walking the universe.

Check out my crossover Neptunia fanfic Chronicles of The Walkers: FateNeptunia if you want to. I hope you like it :)

The Planeptune arc has ended! Next time, Lastation comes in!

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:49 pm

If any character can be a PC that embodies the player themselves, it would be IF.

Of course, the thing about having a player-based PC (male or female) is that they would be more aware of the tomfoolery around them and react accordingly. The problem with IF filling that role is that she's not exactly aware enough or willing enough to change the world around her. She just seems to point out the nonsense around her and never do anything about it.

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Eyeshield wrote:I forgot to put that that 'player' character can actually be female if appropriate. I do want a male protagonist in Neptunia (if only to explore interaction without making a harem necessary... I can delightfully declare that no one on these boards is reading my fic in the near future, I guess :|), but I never thought of IF being that player character...

... Yes. This can work.

In your fic's defense, at least Shirou Emiya is an established harem lead char from an actual series and not a random OC. As long as the romance is handled well enough, then no probs, at least for me.

...I really have to get around to reviewing you and Pore's fics; you've been kind enough to review mine (consistently, at that), after all...
Kneel before me! :twisted:
Yeah, like that.

Neptunia fanfic: Hyperdimensional Adventures

asuna07neros
Vassal
Vassal

Postby asuna07neros » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:21 am

TheZeroDarkness wrote:Compile Heart said that's all playable character of Hyperdimension Neptunia + MK2 + V is girl. But, then what if there is another Hyperdimension Games with male member?

no.......just no.....

Asagi should become the next main character

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 am

asuna07neros wrote:
TheZeroDarkness wrote:Compile Heart said that's all playable character of Hyperdimension Neptunia + MK2 + V is girl. But, then what if there is another Hyperdimension Games with male member?

no.......just no.....

Expand, please.

asuna07neros
Vassal
Vassal

Postby asuna07neros » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 am

Porecomesis wrote:
asuna07neros wrote:

no.......just no.....

Expand, please.

it would turn into some crappy harem, which would lead to romance, which would make the game bad

so just....no.....better off with girls only....or if they want to make a game with guys, just make a different title....without crappy and cheesy romance....

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:33 am

asuna07neros wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:
asuna07neros wrote:

no.......just no.....

Expand, please.

it would turn into some crappy harem, which would lead to romance, which would make the game bad

so just....no.....better off with girls only....or if they want to make a game with guys, just make a different title....without crappy and cheesy romance....

That's a bit of a hasty assumption. Have you read the posts preceding yours?

asuna07neros
Vassal
Vassal

Postby asuna07neros » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:35 am

Porecomesis wrote:
asuna07neros wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:
asuna07neros wrote:

no.......just no.....

Expand, please.

trust me, it's better off without guys with major role in it.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:37 am

asuna07neros wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:
asuna07neros wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:
asuna07neros wrote:no.......just no.....

Expand, please.

trust me, it's better off without guys with major role in it.

I don't believe that's necessarily the case. I'm currently in the process of writing a fanfiction involving a male getting involved with the mk1 party in their adventure and he's been very positively received. He also doesn't have any romantic ties to anyone.

asuna07neros
Vassal
Vassal

Postby asuna07neros » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:41 am

soon enough, people would go shipping and making cannon pairings, that's just how people who loves anime especially otakus does

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:46 am

asuna07neros wrote:soon enough, people would go shipping and making cannon pairings, that's just how people who loves anime especially otakus does

If the official work does that, there's a problem. However, fan works are just fan works and nobody really cares about them (unless they're DOUBLE K, which rocks, much like the Marauder Shields webcomic). Point is, there can be some merit to having the official games do this. Also, it'd provide potential fanservice to any straight females playing the game who wonder why there aren't any males who will offer them chocolate with the Valentine's Day voice menu option.

Tikok
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Tikok » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:08 am

This is just a matter of opinion really. Some of us (like me) are 200% against it, whether it does good to the serie or not. Some want it. There's nothing we can do about it, and I'm very glad Compile Heart isn't adding any main male main characters so far.

NISA
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby NISA » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:17 am

I personally think there needs to be some male characters (more than one) as this is becoming too much of a magical girl anime style taking itself too seriously type game
ImageImage

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 am

NISA wrote:I personally think there needs to be some male characters (more than one) as this is becoming too much of a magical girl anime style taking itself too seriously type game

You're probably talking about mk2. Don't worry: the consensus is that Victory goes back to the light-heartedness of the first game.

Ghostdominion6
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Ghostdominion6 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 am

Ok, now here's just my humble opinion, so please no one shoot me (bullets are my weakness):

GREAT WALL OF TEXT ALERT! :ugeek:

As it stands, and it's probably not a surprise, but I'm against a male main character in the Neptunia series. It just wouldn't fit in, is all I'm saying.

The HDN games are in the same vein as anime like Azumanga Daioh, K-On!, Strike Witches, and so on, where the focus is on the female main characters and their interactions with each other. As much as some people may deny it, a single male presence can (and will) drastically change the whole dynamic of the series.

Some specific examples that make me disapprove of this whole concept:
Spoiler:
At the end of the first season of Koihime Musou, a male character is introduced, and serves as the lead of the army. Immediately, some romantic link begins to form between him and the main character, Kan'u. Turns out the dude is an evil scumbag, though, but the point still stands: As soon as a male character is introduced, the writers figure they have to add some romantic tension.

Strike Witches has a more innocent variety, but it's still worth pointing out: In one episode of the series, the main character interacts with a boy, and immediately the two act all shy with each other. Granted, they're young and stuff, but it devolves into every cliche you can think of (Trying to grab a letter, and both happen to lightly touch each other's hands, and they immediately jump away and let the letter escape). As soon as a male was shown, albeit briefly, everything turned into a romantic comedy.

Now, this is kinda different, but I need to vent:
Spoiler:
In Ar Tonelico Qoga, the main girls all act like their entire points in life is to be protected by a man. It gets pretty grating at times. I liked Cocona, in that she wasn't entirely dependent on the protagonist. They treated each other on equal terms, and they never actually can get romantically involved (Aoto can get friendzoned pretty hard). The other girls all act like their destiny is to get married and become housewives (or to act extremely angsty all the time), while Cocona actually has ambitions of her own. Like a healthy, rationally-thinking person.

My point is, most writers simply don't know how to handle placing male characters in all-girl series that focuses on friendship, not romance. Once that occurs, they feel pressured to come up with a pairing, or a harem, or whatnot. Also, it leads to some unfortunate implications, intentional or not: If a male is added as a main protagonist, it implies that only a man can resolve the problems that a female cast creates. That's... not something I'd want to see.

Now, maybe I'm wrong; Maybe a decent writer can implement a male without adding uncomfortable romance scenes. I'm just saying, most can't handle it; If there is a male main character and a female main character, then the pressure is on to pair them together. For some reason, anime writers assume that there can be no strict friendship between genders; It's either romance, or bust. And that, I definitely don't approve of.

If you really want male characters, Mugen Souls has a lot, and they're not that bad, to be honest. But then again, the series wasn't meant to be an all-girl thing.

...Sorry about all that; I had a really bad night, and I needed to vent about anything. This was the first topic I saw. :oops:

P.S. I don't mean to offend anyone, especially fanfic writers like Pore. This rant was simply concerning my take on the official works, not fan works. You've handled your male OC well, which I applaud you for. It's just, less responsible official writers can easily fall into the romance trap. I'll, uh, be going now.
Author of deconstructive HDN fanfics such as Much Ado About Nothing and beyond.

NEW!: - Measure for Measure -Cave Vs. IF- (The fangame)
- Time Goes By

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”