Another Hyperdimension Games with male character

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: Another Hyperdimension Games with male character

Postby Wdog-999 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:56 am

Now, I used to be all for a male protagonist in the games as long as he wasn't turned into some chick magnet (what GD06 is worried about), but then I started to realize something:

What purpose would he even serve beyond a cheap romantic lead that no one wants?

Personally, I can't really think of anything that a male character can do that a female character can't, even if they have to make said female character more masculine to pull it off for whatever reason (hell, NISA is kinda like that, so one could say it's already happened). OK, it would make dick jokes possible, but methinks none of us would actually care about that. If anything, we'd all be giving CH the "The Reason You Suck" speech over it.
Thanks to TwilightStar for the sig! :D
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:07 am

Ghostdominion6 wrote:P.S. I don't mean to offend anyone, especially fanfic writers like Pore. This rant was simply concerning my take on the official works, not fan works. You've handled your male OC well, which I applaud you for. It's just, less responsible official writers can easily fall into the romance trap. I'll, uh, be going now.

Absolutely no offence taken. I was actually more joking when I said I took offence when I was reviewing Much Ado About Nothing. You may find this surprising but I completely agree with you. Most people have absolutely no idea how to handle a male main character and I would not trust Compile Heart of all people with the idea in a million years. In fact, if it ever gets into their heads to include a male hero, I am very much willing to help write a letter to them saying why it's such a bad idea.

That second spoiler example makes a lot of sense to me, especially since I've watched Infinite Stratos. Ichika's friends have absolutely no personality or ambitions of their own apart from getting into Ichika's pants. It was rather depressing in the cases of good ol' Charl and Laura who both had someone intriguing backstories but were immediately dumped when they felt like it. Ichika's not that much better, mind, as his character arc revolves around everyone except for him. No one in this bloody series has any want for the self. Well, apart from Tabane but she's incredibly annoying.

That's when I had an idea: what if the males had an antagonistic relationship with the females? I can expand on this but it's late where I am right now and I'm having enough trouble with The Steps We Take as it is. So, later then.

Jakps likes Noire
Majin
Majin

Postby Jakps likes Noire » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:56 am

Wdog-999 wrote:Now, I used to be all for a male protagonist in the games as long as he wasn't turned into some chick magnet (what GD06 is worried about), but then I started to realize something:

What purpose would he even serve beyond a cheap romantic lead that no one wants?

Personally, I can't really think of anything that a male character can do that a female character can't, even if they have to make said female character more masculine to pull it off for whatever reason (hell, NISA is kinda like that, so one could say it's already happened). OK, it would make dick jokes possible, but methinks none of us would actually care about that. If anything, we'd all be giving CH the "The Reason You Suck" speech over it.

What concerns me is that one could say do the female Neptunia characters serve any purpose besides being eye candy, very few of the cast seem to be more than eye candy, Blanc makes me laugh with her temper and foul mouth, I admire Noire and Uni's hard work and training and their attempts at improving and planning. I do like Vert but I think she is the "gamer's girlfriend from heaven", I mean I don't think she has any qualities besides that.

I think every character should have a unique ability for example: Noire always comes up with the plans and they work, meaning in the game she helps the player and her moves cause not just the most damage but all sorts of ailments (more so than before and she can "tell" the enemy which friend to hit, then which enemy, maybe convert to your side but limit the number and only do it with minions, these abilities are from super moves that would be obtained as you level up).
Blanc is very strong and is able to take a lot of punishment, therefore not only is she very strong but her passive ability is that she heals herself every turn.
Vert could have a lot of endurance and in the game have it so her turn lasts the longest.

The point is I think if every character had a significant role that is used a lot then a male character would be fine, it would be interesting to see a God of gameindustri and have them represent gamers. I think it would be novel to see both genders in this game. I don't see anything wrong with romance considering how most of the Neptunia cast only seem to be eyecandy anyway.
Loyal to my country, loyal to my console, loyal to my goddess.

Eyeshield
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Eyeshield » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:08 am

Jakps likes Noire wrote:
Wdog-999 wrote:Now, I used to be all for a male protagonist in the games as long as he wasn't turned into some chick magnet (what GD06 is worried about), but then I started to realize something:

What concerns me is that one could say do the female Neptunia characters serve any purpose besides being eye candy, very few of the cast seem to be more than eye candy, Blanc makes me laugh with her temper and foul mouth, I admire Noire and Uni's hard work and training and their attempts at improving and planning. I do like Vert but I think she is the "gamer's girlfriend from heaven", I mean I don't think she has any qualities besides that.

I think every character should have a unique ability for example: Noire always comes up with the plans and they work, meaning in the game she helps the player and her moves cause not just the most damage but all sorts of ailments (more so than before and she can "tell" the enemy which friend to hit, then which enemy, maybe convert to your side but limit the number and only do it with minions, these abilities are from super moves that would be obtained as you level up).
Blanc is very strong and is able to take a lot of punishment, therefore not only is she very strong but her passive ability is that she heals herself every turn.
Vert could have a lot of endurance and in the game have it so her turn lasts the longest.

The point is I think if every character had a significant role that is used a lot then a male character would be fine, it would be interesting to see a God of gameindustri and have them represent gamers. I think it would be novel to see both genders in this game. I don't see anything wrong with romance considering how most of the Neptunia cast only seem to be eyecandy anyway.

That's less of having a purpose and more of gameplay possibilities, and it's sort of already implemented with partner actions in mk2, but I agree with this.

And like I said, a player character. Pretty much one more thing I want from Neptunia.
Walking the universe.

Check out my crossover Neptunia fanfic Chronicles of The Walkers: FateNeptunia if you want to. I hope you like it :)

The Planeptune arc has ended! Next time, Lastation comes in!

Jakps likes Noire
Majin
Majin

Postby Jakps likes Noire » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 am

Eyeshield wrote:
Jakps likes Noire wrote:

That's less of having a purpose and more of gameplay possibilities, and it's sort of already implemented with partner actions in mk2, but I agree with this.

And like I said, a player character. Pretty much one more thing I want from Neptunia.

Yeah a special purpose and ability, I agree with that.
Loyal to my country, loyal to my console, loyal to my goddess.

Nep-Nep
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Nep-Nep » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:00 pm

TheZeroDarkness wrote:Compile Heart said that's all playable character of Hyperdimension Neptunia + MK2 + V is girl. But, then what if there is another Hyperdimension Games with male member?

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm

After getting a good forty winks, I am finally good to talk again.

Now Wdog brings up a good point in that the male, of course, needs something to do. However, Jakps (what kind of name is that?) also brings up a good point in that no one really seems to do anything for the plot with their unique abilities. More than once, anyway. You'd think Gust's alchemy and 5pb.'s ability to dispel Arfoire's influence would come in much more handy than they actually did (there's also the fact that the Makers didn't do anything during the events of the Conquest ending and you'd think that Nisa of all people would have something to say about it).

Despite this, it is true that the males need to do something rather than fall in love and shout "I want to protect everyone!" all the time. My character Jacob, for instance, occupies himself with pointing out how stupid Gamindustri is when he isn't getting curb stomped in one-on-one fights or making plans for his party to curb stomp his opponents.

In essence, the important thing is that the male contributes something useful to the story and they don't fall in love with one of the main girls. What the best result would be for you guys is unknown to me but I'd go with having an all-male party go on their own little plot parallel to the main party's. Alternatively, I could make my own RPG with an all-male party and cross my fingers that the two get a crossover at some stage as well as hoping that a million dollars fall from the sky onto my front yard while no one's on it.

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Jakps likes Noire wrote:

I don't think this is true at all. The Neptunia series is a very much character-driven series. It sure as hell isn't plot-driven.

I mean come on, people (including myself) get all kinds of pissy when "X" character doesn't get enough screen time, like the Sisters in V and the CPUs in Mk2. And there was much complaining when most of the Makers pre-V did not make it in the game.

I don't think people would feel so strongly for them if it was just about how they looked.

That Courier
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby That Courier » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:13 pm

I wouldn't mind, as long as the male in question isn't a clueless chick magnet or a goddamn 'i wanna save people/ the world or do the right thing' type of guy.

But it's not going to happen...

Cause money and fanservice... and cute girls doing cute things.
PSN: Roap40

It takes a strong man to deny what's right in front of him, and if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.

Zdood
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby Zdood » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 pm

@Jakps

While most everyone else has said stuff that I can point to already, I feel it's prolly worth noting that the 'eye candy' thing could easily apply to a male character as well (hell, just look at series like Bleach). I mean, Neptunia's primary audience is, I assume, teenage males (it's an action/comedy series with hot women and a lot of fanservice, plus video game and anime references/parodies/whatever galore). A male, human(oid) MC being thrown in, as such, could/would be a move by IF/CH if they feel like expanding their audience to more prominently include females. Some people would not be happy with this, to say the least, and who knows if it would even work in the first place.

Edit: And just because a game/series has an all or mostly female cast doesn't mean it can't be epic and/or awesome and/or manly, funny though it may sound. The Otherworld action scenes in the BRS shooter anime are a good example of this, not so much the real world school stuff though. :lol: For more consistent examples, Lyrical Nanoha must be mentioned.
Kneel before me! :twisted:
Yeah, like that.

Neptunia fanfic: Hyperdimensional Adventures

xnobody13
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby xnobody13 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:16 am

Sorry if this is redundant, but I wouldn't say to have a new, male character into the cast, since we already have the basic list of individuals already established. However, I wouldn't mind if the game elaborated on fathers, and perhaps brethren to the CPU's and Candidates; however, now thinking about it, this idea may just become quite stupid in execution.
Spoiler:

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:39 am

Porecomesis wrote:After getting a good forty winks, I am finally good to talk again.

Now Wdog brings up a good point in that the male, of course, needs something to do. However, Jakps (what kind of name is that?) also brings up a good point in that no one really seems to do anything for the plot with their unique abilities. More than once, anyway. You'd think Gust's alchemy and 5pb.'s ability to dispel Arfoire's influence would come in much more handy than they actually did (there's also the fact that the Makers didn't do anything during the events of the Conquest ending and you'd think that Nisa of all people would have something to say about it).

Despite this, it is true that the males need to do something rather than fall in love and shout "I want to protect everyone!" all the time. My character Jacob, for instance, occupies himself with pointing out how stupid Gamindustri is when he isn't getting curb stomped in one-on-one fights or making plans for his party to curb stomp his opponents.

In essence, the important thing is that the male contributes something useful to the story and they don't fall in love with one of the main girls. What the best result would be for you guys is unknown to me but I'd go with having an all-male party go on their own little plot parallel to the main party's. Alternatively, I could make my own RPG with an all-male party and cross my fingers that the two get a crossover at some stage as well as hoping that a million dollars fall from the sky onto my front yard while no one's on it.

First of all, sorry for the late response, but I didn't even see this until now.

Now, while Jacob does manage to have a role that isn't falling in love or protecting everyone, that role could be performed just as well by a female, which was my entire point. If they put in a male whose purpose could be serviced by a female, then the fanbase will sure as hell notice that and it won't be good for CH and Neptunia.
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Eyeshield
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Eyeshield » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:01 am

And now I quote Extra Credits for this. There is more to gender than just err... the equipment.

To shorten this, they posit the implications of being a female, the roles they play in society and more. Just because a female and a male can do the same things doesn't mean there isn't any significance in having either.

You know what? Extra Credits video. There, go watch.
Walking the universe.

Check out my crossover Neptunia fanfic Chronicles of The Walkers: FateNeptunia if you want to. I hope you like it :)

The Planeptune arc has ended! Next time, Lastation comes in!

Wdog-999
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Wdog-999 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:25 am

Eyeshield wrote:And now I quote Extra Credits for this. There is more to gender than just err... the equipment.

To shorten this, they posit the implications of being a female, the roles they play in society and more. Just because a female and a male can do the same things doesn't mean there isn't any significance in having either.

You know what? Extra Credits video. There, go watch.

Ah, Extra Credits. How I love that show.

That said, CH never really focuses on the implications of being a female afaik, and suddenly adding a male would do little to change that, and since this would carry over to him, the likely result is a male character who could've just as easily been female and it would change little.
Trophy card
Spoiler:

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:25 am

I'unno, Agarest had some interesting commentary on the roles of females... particularly in Agarest 2. o.O I mean, wife candidates are a time when the gender DOES matter, because they couldn't fulfill the role otherwise. Not so much for the side-characters, but... male-female relations are pretty important in Agarest. As is the way you view it, considering 2 lets you go everywhere from "I'm FORCING you to have my kid" to "Our situation sucks, but let's try to be happy about it".

It's more relevant than in most games I've played, at least.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”